PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Summer 1981, riot...

I remember going into town on the Friday night. Very strange atmosphere as there had been rumours going around. The pubs had a different sort of clientele than a normal weekend night.
We were in Louies Long Bar when someone rushed in saying its all going off with the coppers

I remember seeing the Brixton and Toxteth riots on the news.... scary times.

i certainly remember something kicking off in Preston

I got married in July 1981 and we were having our night do at the guild hall in the avenham suite - I remember there be a slight doubt that the do would go ahead.....

I remember seeing the Brixton and Toxteth riots on the news.... scary times.

i certainly remember something kicking off in Preston

I got married in July 1981 and we were having our night do at the guild hall in the avenham suite - I remember there be a slight doubt that the do would go ahead.....
I was a student in Liverpool at the time and my flat was in Toxteth.

I'd started my first day ever at work in the town centre after leaving school and remember we were sent home at lunch time by the cops.

Sad man that I am, my diary for that year tells me it was Friday 10 July 1981.

My 20 year old self and several workmateswere on a pre-planned night round town to do 20 pubs in one night, although I should point out that this was unconnected with the subsequent copycat ‘riot’.

There had been rumours all evening that something was going to happen. All that happened to me was that I was poured into a taxi home after last orders.

My diary also tells me that I was working at Edge Hill College that day and had my lunch break from 1205-1320. Exciting days indeed!

Some beautiful buildings in Toxteth.
Upper Parliament Street and adjacent roads.
Homes of doctors, solicitors and the well to do in the 19th and early 20th century.
Liverpool is a great City but unfortunately it's very poor.

I lived just off Smithdown Road, not quite as grand as Upper Parliament Street. :)

I lived just off Smithdown Road, not quite as grand as Upper Parliament Street. :)
I lived just around the corner on Canning Street. After that I was in the Dingle then Anfield then Kirkdale.
Loved it. I never found Liverpool ‘nasty’ as described above although I have heard Huyton described that way.

I was a Student there between 87 and 90. Great days

Did you ever get to do the Smithdown ten? Starting at the top at the junction and heading downhill and finishing, I think, at The Smithdown Arms. Maybe it was just me who was finished by then!!

Did my Uni Dissertation on the Toxteth Riots and their Socio Economic cause and impact. It's a fine body of work. Having said that it hasn't seen the light of day since I handed it in!!