PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the so called big four leave in January, I do hope that we will have some players from outside of the club lined up to replace them as the January transfer window is creeping up . In saying that I wouldn’t be surprised if we go with the players that are already at the club.
I can’t see a club willing to pay any sort of fee in January for players out of contract in 6 months.....especially players that haven’t really set the world alight with their recent form.

Reactions: rem
For anyone “in the know”, is the manager a factor for some of the players not signing?

Or is it simply the level and wages and ambition by the owner?

If the latter, Hemmings needs to get his business head on:
1) Sign up all 4 on higher wages, no transfer fees.
2) Let all 4 go, fork out for 8 players for small ish fees, some with medium wages some small, plus the compo getting rid of 4 of them because they cant cut the mustard.
3) Pay 4 large fees to match the quality of the 4 and then wages on top.

Business head would say option 1, i suspect we will end up with option 2.

I can’t see a club willing to pay any sort of fee in January for players out of contract in 6 months.....especially players that haven’t really set the world alight with their recent form.
Happens a lot, people will pay for their needs then and now, or to steal a march if they can be outbid on wages in free agency- we did it with Moult, for instance.

That said, with Davies and DJ both attracting interest from Scotland, they could sign pre-contract details and be done.

Happens a lot, people will pay for their needs then and now, or to steal a march if they can be outbid on wages in free agency- we did it with Moult, for instance.

That said, with Davies and DJ both attracting interest from Scotland, they could sign pre-contract details and be done.
At our level there won’t be much money splashing around in January for players who haven’t really set the world on fire recently.
I fear this will fester until the end of the season unfortunately.

At our level there won’t be much money splashing around in January for players who haven’t really set the world on fire recently.
I fear this will fester until the end of the season unfortunately.
That what agents are for though. If the owner wanted them gone, they'd be gone- they all have suitors for the right price.

That what agents are for though. If the owner wanted them gone, they'd be gone- they all have suitors for the right price.
We are in a different era Hunter....there will be suitors but not many with money at our level.
Trev has got us & himself in a right mess....the value of his prized assets have collapsed and unless he sees sense they will all leave for nothing in seven months......on the bright side Cloth Cap was a cracking winner for him today 🏇🏻

We are in a different era Hunter....there will be suitors but not many with money at our level.
Trev has got us & himself in a right mess....the value of his prized assets have collapsed and unless he sees sense they will all leave for nothing in seven months......on the bright side Cloth Cap was a cracking winner for him today 🏇🏻

Oh aye, they'll not be close to what they would have been in summer or before that. But there are always clubs looking to gamble on that boost to save their season, or to get that final promotion push.

Do we know where Harrop was today ?

He's clearly on the periphery but surely must be injury or illness if O'Reilly was on the bench instead of him.

Was Harrop just signed up to get a fee in January or next summer? Seems he's gone out of 18 for some reason since he signed the new deal!

Some really strange decisions being made at the moment.

Was Harrop just signed up to get a fee in January or next summer? Seems he's gone out of 18 for some reason since he signed the new deal!

Some really strange decisions being made at the moment.

Got injured in that reserve game we played where he and Ripley scored, I think.

There’s 2 ways at looking at this. IF the ‘big 4’ are allowed to move on for free TH could lose the current value of those players, but the fact is those players combined cost PNE less than £1m. I don’t think TH will be too concerned if they all walk away as TH will probably tell the Manager (whoever that maybe at the time) to replace them with Free transfers or players from the lower end of the market.

There’s 2 ways at looking at this. IF the ‘big 4’ are allowed to move on for free TH could lose the current value of those players, but the fact is those players combined cost PNE less than £1m. I don’t think TH will be too concerned if they all walk away as TH will probably tell the Manager (whoever that maybe at the time) to replace them with Free transfers or players from the lower end of the market.
The club have talks themselves up at times or at forums saying what wonderful deals they got on the likes of DJ and Browne.

Yet they somehow may even manage to make a loss on them. It is remarkable really.

What happened to the policy of picking up young rough cheap diamonds? Hugill, Robinson, DJ, Pearson?

Previously as a club we were proud of this type of recruitment? We need investment at all levels, we need players to come into the first team and improve it immediately and then some to develop. Our transfer policy is just shocking.

What happened to the policy of picking up young rough cheap diamonds? Hugill, Robinson, DJ, Pearson?

Previously as a club we were proud of this type of recruitment? We need investment at all levels, we need players to come into the first team and improve it immediately and then some to develop. Our transfer policy is just shocking.
It’s significantly harder to do that in the championship because you’ve got to develop them in a tougher league. We were able to mould Robinson and hugill against poorer opposition when they weren’t great and turn them into top players.

We can’t do that anymore. Also those players were all developed by Grayson. I’m not sure I would be confident neil could do the same

None of them brought in during Neil's time.

Like Bayliss & Storey?

It’s significantly harder to do that in the championship because you’ve got to develop them in a tougher league. We were able to mould Robinson and hugill against poorer opposition when they weren’t great and turn them into top players.

We can’t do that anymore. Also those players were all developed by Grayson. I’m not sure I would be confident neil could do the same
Hence why we need an U23 team to aid their development.

Bayliss
Storey
O'Reilly
Baxter
Walker
JH-W
Earl
Hudson
Bennett

Just to name the obvious few.

I love how the club keep putting the OOC players in front of the camera for interviews on iFollow. Like when DJ was forced to thank the owner in that hostage video.

Davies was asked about Bournemouth on the one yesterday. Awkward given they wanted him in the summer.

It’s only the manager that isn’t ignoring the massive elephant in the room which must be pissing Ridsdale and the owner off.

Davies and Ledson are two players Neil has developed into very good Championship players. Prior to Neil‘s arrival Davies hadn‘t played at this level and was on loan after loan after loan. Ledson hadn‘t played at this level either before signing. So he clearly can develop a player.

A problem we‘ve had with youth development over the last couple of years is that we‘ve overachieved and been in pushes for the play-offs. And when there‘s a possibility at a shot at the top 6, it‘s hard to throw young players into the squad instead of the experienced ones.

The Bayliss situation just isn‘t good enough though, he definitely needs to be much more involved. I think he should be being considered for selection now because we clearly aren‘t going to challenge for anything this season and DJ is not playing well.

Reactions: OB1
Hence why we need an U23 team to aid their development.

Bayliss
Storey
O'Reilly
Baxter
Walker
JH-W
Earl
Hudson
Bennett

Just to name the obvious few.
Putting players like Earl, Storey and Bayliss in an U23 team, who have all been exposed to professional football at a very good standard, would do the exact opposite of aid their development.

Of course in an ideal world an U23 squad would be good and allow us to keep more of our U18s, but the reality is we are where we are and at the moment it isn't worth it.

There's a reason why the best young lads at top clubs go out on loan rather than stay and play in the U23s.

Status
Not open for further replies.