Summer Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Definitely but it's not going to happen under the current regime.

Even if we went up, I don't think we'd bring in anyone from abroad.

It worked at Burnley for a few years but now Dyche has had enough of not being properly backed - I'm worried the same will happen here

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
Definitely but it's not going to happen under the current regime.

Even if we went up, I don't think we'd bring in anyone from abroad.
Yep - if we went up, I'd expect a bunch of contract extensions for key players already at the top of the wage structure (with judicious relegation wage-cut clauses, natch), and very little else in terms of on-field spending.

(And if we don't go up, I'd just expect the latter.)

Lee Trundle

Advisor to the Owner
I agree with that, but when you see the quality of Maupay for 1.6 million and Benrahma for 2.7 million; it’d be a no brainer if we had the cash of player sales this window

Those were the initial fees though right? Brentford transfers seem to always have significant performance related clauses. They paid an initial £1.5m for Henry, but the total fee is like £5m.

Brentford's player acquisition model is incredibly enviable, but even if we were actively looking to replicate them, it would take us 5+ years to get to the same level

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Yep - if we went up, I'd expect a bunch of contract extensions for key players already at the top of the wage structure (with judicious relegation wage-cut clauses, natch), and very little else in terms of on-field spending.

(And if we don't go up, I'd just expect the latter.)
Personally wouldn't mind as long as we replaced the shite and build a strong championship squad

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
I take Brentford as a exact team who have done it correctly, if we was able to get a scouting system that can bring in players like Maupay and Benrahma for cheap like they can, rather than being ripped off in the domestic market, then I really think that’ll be a great next step. Just a shame that the club wouldn’t be thinking towards that, especially now COVID has happened.
are Brentford not helped by the fact their owner also owns at least one foreign club who can act as a feeder for them? Bit like what Watford did a while back but legally in Brentfords case.

We might have signed a German in Bauer but he was at Charlton not the bundersliga

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Those were the initial fees though right? Brentford transfers seem to always have significant performance related clauses. They paid an initial £1.5m for Henry, but the total fee is like £5m.

Brentford's player acquisition model is incredibly enviable, but even if we were actively looking to replicate them, it would take us 5+ years to get to the same level
No doubt the fact they're London based club helps them attract players who are speculating on eventually getting a premier league move

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
are Brentford not helped by the fact their owner also owns at least one foreign club who can act as a feeder for them? Bit like what Watford did a while back but legally in Brentfords case.

We might have signed a German in Bauer but he was at Charlton not the bundersliga
If only we had a billionaire owner who could buy at least one foreign club who could act as a feeder for us.

OP
O

oliharg

Manager
I understand the fact that Brentford had a stronger backing, but with the amount of player sales we will potentially get this window, it’s going to be the most there’s ever been as Pearson and Ben Davies will 100% be off as well with a few of the other ladies who aren’t good enough, would amass around 25/30 million. I know we wouldn’t get much of it, surely around 8-10 we should get. But in the current market that could bring in some great free agents, as well as players on cheap who you wouldn’t really think of being cheap.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
I understand the fact that Brentford had a stronger backing, but with the amount of player sales we will potentially get this window, it’s going to be the most there’s ever been as Pearson and Ben Davies will 100% be off as well with a few of the other ladies who aren’t good enough, would amass around 25/30 million. I know we wouldn’t get much of it, surely around 8-10 we should get. But in the current market that could bring in some great free agents, as well as players on cheap who you wouldn’t really think of being cheap.

I understand your logic but I'm now of the mindset I couldn't give a shit if we never sell a first team player ever again, at any price, I'd rather see Pearson in a pne shirt seeing his contract out than see pne furiously attempt to not replace him, even though it'd be a extremely difficult task even if we genuinely tried.

OP
O

oliharg

Manager
I understand your logic but I'm now of the mindset I couldn't give a shit if we never sell a first team player ever again, at any price, I'd rather see Pearson in a pne shirt seeing his contract out than see pne furiously attempt to not replace him, even though it'd be a extremely difficult task even if we genuinely tried.
I know it may sound daft, but I really like Ledson and think he will be a great defensive midfielder if given game time. Don’t get me wrong he’s no Pearson, but given game time he would be a real good option there.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
I know it may sound daft, but I really like Ledson and think he will be a great defensive midfielder if given game time. Don’t get me wrong he’s no Pearson, but given game time he would be a real good option there.
It's not a daft opinion at all, I don't agree but absolutely can see your train of thought... It's maybe the same train as the owners 🙂

OP
O

oliharg

Manager
Overall I can see a massive overhaul this summer. Even some players that shouldn’t be expected to leave might even go such as Browne or even DJ. I wouldn’t say I’m nervous, more excited to see what the club will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.