Summer Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
Their current teams/squads wouldn't be that good but if you put Rangers and Celtic into the Prem with their crowds/support plus the TV money, they would be big Prem clubs capable of heavily investing and competing.
I agree 100%.
With the riches the Premier league brings, the two Glasgow giants would certainly be top 10 and probably top six material. If Leicester, Wolves and Co. can challenge then those two certainly would.

Colioni

Youth Team
The proven sources of information on here have said that it wasn't about the money for DJ and that he wanted progression.
Very good, "the proven sources" seem to be fed similar information to me. Albeit, sometimes with a slightly different slant...there's a reason why credible interesting information is rarely shared on here.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
If he wants a change and the size of Rangers appeals I get it. But bigger challenge, I doubt it. Would bet my pay packet he would not go there for the same pay as he's getting at Deepdale.

I think it's a bigger challenge. There's a realistic opportunity to win a league title, which would be a big event as it would be Rangers' first in 10 years. He will also be playing in the Europa League. Sounds a bit more exciting than mid-table at Deepdale for the 6th season running.

It's easy to ignore the reality of where we are as a club and blame the players for chasing the money, but footballers like any other person in their career want fresh challenges and an opportunity to progress.

He's been a very good player for this club for a long time. Deserves his move.

pnenycx

Forum Patron
Patron
It's easy to ignore the reality of where we are as a club and blame the players for chasing the money, but footballers like any other person in their career want fresh challenges and an opportunity to progress.

Oh not blaming him, just saying doubt he would go for the same money he's currently on. If Trev offered to double his money would he have stayed? We'll never know. I'm sure playing in front of 50k supporters is appealing too.

how4rd12

Youth Team
All the best DJ. Has been steady over the years and had a great season last season. We will move on. We need to sign a striker who is mobile and able to bully defenders. The last game played at DEEPDALE before lock down a certain ex player bullied our central defenders playing for QPR. That day showed exactly what we have been missing for over 2 years. Occupy the defenders and the players behind can play off him.

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Hi lads. Rangers fan here and wondering if I could get some information on what type of player we will be getting in Johnson.

All the best for the season.
As well as being a very creative player he is also a very good penalty taker.
Really disappointed he's leaving but wish him all the best.

JohnPNE

Advisor to the Owner
I think it's a bigger challenge. There's a realistic opportunity to win a league title, which would be a big event as it would be Rangers' first in 10 years. He will also be playing in the Europa League. Sounds a bit more exciting than mid-table at Deepdale for the 6th season running.

Rangers did quite well in the Europa league last season too. Got to the last 16.

Win the league this season then it's potential champions league football. I can see why DJ want's to go there.

It's a progressive move. It's when players do shit like leave us to go to Bristol City (Bailey Wright) that annoys me because that is 100% because of the money and nothing else.

LD5

Youth Team

Having Gerrard as a manager is a massive lure for players too, especially midfielders. I know our league is far from great but many players who come here and play a few seasons winning silverware etc. look back and say it was the best period of their career.

Have yous heard anything about what sort of fee is involved? Seen someone say £1.8m but think they plucked that number from their arse.

Korol

Football Expert
Patron
That doesnt say much really. He is nowhere near Barkheizen. Similar to Browne pace wise

Far, far quicker.

I remember at Forest in December 2016. The lads not in the squad (Beckford, Doyle, Humphrey etc) were sitting behind me and all laughed when a Forest lad tried doing DJ for pace - “no chance lad”.

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
I've been a big critic of the SPL in terms if quality but we're all perhaps being a bit unjust.
Celtic would be competitive in the Premier league quite quickly with 'gers not far behind.
Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs probably decent enough in The Championship.
Hearts aren't even in the SPL anymore. Playing against the likes of East Fife this year. I think we've seen the gulf in standard from signing a couple of the most prolific strikers outside the old firm in recent years.
Celtic and rangers would do fine in the prem as their earning potential would go through the roof. Massive clubs.
Other than that, it's a significant step down for DJ in terms of the opposition he'll be facing every week.
Rather than trying to squeeze an extra million at this stage, I'd hope instead we've pushed for a decent sell on %, as I expect him to do very well up there.

chorleythehord

Forum Patron
Patron
Appalling stereotype.

Yes, apologies it does seem I’m stereo typing there , but I did mean it in a positive way. He is one cool dude we are all sad to lose.

ps I’ve met and chatted to him personally a couple of times up in the stand when he’s not been playing , and he’s a great guy to talk to and and to watch whwn playing - but can sometimes be that bit frustrating. It’s all I was trying to say.

Last edited: