Summer Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

HunterLionheart

Advisor to the Owner
They’re guilty of believing their own hype. They’ve built him up as some sort of wonder kid who’s going to fire them to the prem, and they’ve forgotten what he actually is, which is a very talented youngster who is only on his first taste of pro football

Aye, he's got a trick in him, he's a good dribbler, but now that he's more of a known quantity it won't be a shock to see him go back to the development squad in the near future.

He's got plenty of time to do well, and he shouldn't be disheartened when it happens, but if a trick and quick feet made for a world class player, Billy Bodin would be starting every match.

Preston_69

First Team
I'm happy with this window.

Not selling anyone is a bigger sign of the owners thinking than some seem to think. Saying we had no bids of note doesn't really mean anything.

All those lads have agents who will have been keen as mustard to get a payday and PR could have told them they are free to actively try and get them a move away at X amount. For example had it been made known Pearson could be got for £3m he'd now no longer be here.

I think the major thing is our wage structure. Wasn't much point selling any of them as replacements as good would break the structure and ultimately if we increase the top line of what we will pay players, it will cost more long term.
We be pissed off wen they leave on free transfers and not replace them

kbd_pne

Forum Patron
Patron
Interesting. Sort of my opinion with Bodin, can't see him ever being a decent championship striker/front 3 player (in mould of Doyle) but he was on a ridiculous scoring run at Bristol Rovers so in ideal world you loan him out to a Peterborough or Charlton for a season and next summer either might sign him for 1m if there's more money in the game at that point.

But looks like the contract extension means no one can afford him in the league below so he'll be another warming the bench before leaving on a free.
Bodin has had 2 very serious knee injuries already in his career, has played 36 league games (26 starts) in over 2 and a half years at PNE, and has never really performed to a decent standard above L1. He also turns 29 this season.

In the scenario you suggest ie. loaning him out to L1 and him doing well, given the factors I’ve stated above there’s no way we’d get anything close to a million pounds for him. We’d be lucky to get our money back on him. This is hypothetical anyway because he’s out of contract next summer.

I was quite excited when he came in and thought he’d offer us something different but IMO the ACL injury has killed any chance of him being a good player at this level.

Watching him sometimes last season, he looked knackered after 60 minutes and he looked even slower than when he signed. I can’t see Moult being any different either. Those 2 players didn’t have much pace for this level anyway so when you throw an ACL injury in, it makes it very difficult to see them being effective.

I suspect had Swansea not pipped up to Lowe then there may have been a bit of a push to offload Bodin, but he’s going to be here now for the season so let’s hope he can contribute at least something to the team if called upon.

BenPearsonIsGod

Advisor to the Owner
Was a good player 3-4 years ago but career destroyed by injuries sadly.

I could actually see Irvine targeted as a DJ replacement, he got a few goals at this level for Burton as an attacking midfielder.
Always been a fan of Irvine, would be a very good signing but it’s a position we’re well stocked in.

SoccerHQ

Manager
Always been a fan of Irvine, would be a very good signing but it’s a position we’re well stocked in.

Plenty of CMs but Ledson and Pearson don't chip in with goals at all and Gally only from pens and he won't play so much now. Harrop can chip in with a few but he's gone AWOL again from 18.

Leaves DJ and Browne. Think 17/18 was just a purple scoring patch for Brownie and he's obviously being played all over the pitch.

Just checked and Irvine scored 10 league goals for Burton in 16/17 (only 3 the following season). 6 for Hull in his first season although I presume there wasn't as much need to get forward given they had Bowen and Grosicki in final third.

Feels like the sort who'll end up at QPR. Or Blackburn.

BenPearsonIsGod

Advisor to the Owner
Plenty of CMs but Ledson and Pearson don't chip in with goals at all and Gally only from pens and he won't play so much now. Harrop can chip in with a few but he's gone AWOL again from 18.

Leaves DJ and Browne. Think 17/18 was just a purple scoring patch for Brownie and he's obviously being played all over the pitch.

Just checked and Irvine scored 10 league goals for Burton in 16/17 (only 3 the following season). 6 for Hull in his first season although I presume there wasn't as much need to get forward given they had Bowen and Grosicki in final third.

Feels like the sort who'll end up at QPR. Or Blackburn.
And Harrop who we inexplicably just gave a new long term contract, don’t forget.

Elwiss

Manager
What a shambles we have become. They all get paid for that pathetic performance- we need some happy moments at present you are letting us down the lot of you