PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
32 now, played all his best football in a two striker team. I’d be worried he’d be similar to nugent

Targetman striker though so you'd think anyone reasonably competant at that at this level who's available will come onto the radar in next two weeks as clearly getting nowhere with the more expensive links.

Gregory was good at Millwall so I reckon he could do similar job to what Martin is doing at Bristol City.

He dosen't score many goals anymore but I really think it's vital to get a striker in who can at least hold it up and bring Sinclair and Barky more into the game. I'm sure they'd look more dangerous in games with a Hugill type upfront.

Targetman striker though so you'd think anyone reasonably competant at that at this level who's available will come onto the radar in next two weeks as clearly getting nowhere with the more expensive links.

Gregory was good at Millwall so I reckon he could do similar job to what Martin is doing at Bristol City.
Didn’t do stoke much good last year. Were in need of a clinical striker, and his 6 in 40 indicate he certainly isn’t that

Talking of “ all our yesterdays “...... I remember a particularly good hat trick at Deepdale in July 1989.
Maybe you’re the prolific striker we require, Ando. If you lie about your age, forego a signing on fee and temper your wage demands it’ll be a no brainer for Trevor.........

..... and the thread has descended into ‘All our yesterdays.’ 😱
This is my problem with it. There's so much crap in the thread that I gave up following it long ago. Unfortunately, this means I miss out on the rumours of substance.

He dosen't score many goals anymore but I really think it's vital to get a striker in who can at least hold it up and bring Sinclair and Barky more into the game. I'm sure they'd look more dangerous in games with a Hugill type upfront.

No way would I buy him but a loan could be a good shout, especially while Moult is out.

Didn’t do stoke much good last year. Were in need of a clinical striker, and his 6 in 40 indicate he certainly isn’t that

Stoke's like a Bermuda triangle for strikers, Afobe hardly did anything there, Hogan could barely score and then went to Birmingham in second half of season and had a good run, Vokes was a decent striker for Burnley in championship and premier league (5 league goals for him last season) and Nick Powell can't get close to his Wigan form.

0 goals from their first two league games this season so far.

I'm not saying Lee Gregory is my dream signing/first choice as striker but it's been a sobering window so far and likes of Vydra and Karlan Grant are obviously unrealistic signings so if he's available on last day then I'd take him. He scored 11 for Millwall in 18/19 which was o.k.

Stoke's like a Bermuda triangle for strikers, Afobe hardly did anything there, Hogan could barely score and then went to Birmingham in second half of season and had a good run, Vokes was a decent striker for Burnley in championship and premier league (5 league goals for him last season) and Nick Powell can't get close to his Wigan form.

0 goals from their first two league games this season so far.

I'm not saying Lee Gregory is my dream signing/first choice as striker but it's been a sobering window so far and likes of Vydra and Karlan Grant are obviously unrealistic signings so if he's available on last day then I'd take him. He scored 11 for Millwall in 18/19 which was o.k.
I feel like a striker like Gregory and Martin work best in a two. That’s why Martin has been so good, because he has wells to use the space he creates.

Gregory hasn’t played the single striker role in at least 6 years

I feel like a striker like Gregory and Martin work best in a two. That’s why Martin has been so good, because he has wells to use the space he creates.

Gregory hasn’t played the single striker role in at least 6 years

Yeah I take that point on Gregory, he was always upfront with Tom Bradshaw at Millwall (who imo would fit into AN's system brilliantly). You could always go 3-5-2 a bit more during the season and push Sinclair (who's played as a CF plenty of times in his career) upfront alongside him rather than stuck wide. Same for Barky.

Martin at his peak at Derby (2013-14) was the central striker with likes of Jamie Ward and Johnny Russell either side as wide/inside forwards, was certainly a 4-3-3 although seems he's upfront with Wells at Bristol City.

Loads of those types here so you really need a CF who is reasonably mobile and can hold the ball up o.k. Stockley on occasions threatensto be that forward but I doubt he'll reach the heights Hugill did here.

Reactions: OB1
You could argue we have lost points already this season from not converting our chances, I wonder how many points they are prepared to drop before they get a solution in? Its clear we have so much quality and we dont need to shore up to many areas of our squad at all. I feel We’re in a great position compared to other clubs. Our players are also a good age and have played together for a number of years now which really shows.

After the game yesterday I feel we're literally a striker away from being a very decent side in this division, we more than matched a Norwich side who have kept some of their best players from the last 2 seasons.

Browne was brilliant at 10 but I fear for him when we play at home as teams sit in and we don't need the press from him, we require Johnsons unlocking skills.

I just hope Hemmings see's just how close we are to being a scary team for the division, however, I feel he has set the budget and won't change this for anyone.

We have to remember Hemmings value doesn't translate into liquid cash and we also don't know what strain the pandemic has put on his empire liquidity wise, especially with some of his businesses being in the hospitality sector, we just don't know how much he is feeling the strain.

Personally the lack of striker activity since Hugill departed is probably going to come back and bite us again this season, regardless of what covid has done to the market or Hemmings's pocket.

You could argue we have lost points already this season from not converting our chances, I wonder how many points they are prepared to drop before they get a solution in? Its clear we have so much quality and we dont need to shore up to many areas of our squad at all. I feel We’re in a great position compared to other clubs. Our players are also a good age and have played together for a number of years now which really shows.
And that’s why it needs to be a clinical striker we sign. All the suggestions about target men aren’t any use. We aren’t struggling to create changes, we aren’t able to put them away. Having someone create space won’t be much help unless they’re able to score a few

Status
Not open for further replies.