PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we be active in January or will we go with what we got 🤔

Some of Davies, Pearson, DJ going to be sold then if they haven't agreed new deals especially if team is mid table. And replacements won't be on same level so first 11 will be much weaker.

Some of Davies, Pearson, DJ going to be sold then if they haven't agreed new deals especially if team is mid table. And replacements won't be on same level so first 11 will be much weaker.
Think we all know we end up with the so called big 4 leaving for free and as always we won't buy quality league one beckons

It's a typical melodramatic plastic looking for a scapegoat and picking on the new kid on the block..... Bit of a twit plastic. Wouldn't expect else much from them though ;)

Typical melodramatic FOOTBALL fan, to be fair!

It’s even worse when you read the full article

Not sure AN is as convinced it’s a positive window as some posters on here

Don’t blame him one bit, we needed a full-back, a centre half as back-up, a creative player that can play on the wing and we needed a loanee young striker.

We needed another 3/4 quality signings. Instead we’re left with Bodin, Stockley, Ripley, even Hunts as I can’t see him playing anything but Cup games. Rafferty starting when he’s a back-up, Hughes starting when he should be a back-up. O’Reilly and Bayliss should potentially have been sent out for game time as they obviously won’t get any here.

The difference in the matter is every other club has strengthened with multiple players, we’ve signed 1, and a training ground. But used the ‘we’re the most financially stable club outside the prem’ as a get-away. Take COVID out of the equation and ask yourself do you really believe this window would’ve been any different.

Some people banging on about how we spent £1.2m on Riis. That’s the going rate, 1 million on a player isn’t massive now, it was 20 years ago but not now. And we wonder why we’ve made no progress when we’re spending zilch on players, expecting massive things. And then when they turn out to be not good enough, then put the blame on Neil.

Our transfer record of what we paid for David Healy 19 years ago still stands, put that into perspective.

Going to play Devil's Advocate here - and it's been said before in various ways, to varying degrees.

Neil knew the deal when he came here. He knew the managerial / top-down decision-making constraints; knew the limited budget.

Sure, he would've been sold the idealistic version of the deal (for simplicity, let's call it the 'Ingol' version). However, I'd argue that after a short amount of time he'd have figured out what was really on offer (we'll call this 'Euxton').

I feel he's come in, seen the problems with the setup (top-loaded squad with average players) and has tried - kicking and screaming lately - to affect change in the process.

But let's be brutally honest; it's not worked, has it?

Sure, we've managed to get out of our UK / Ireland mindset and bring in a European striker, but it's taken nearly 3 years to break that habit.

My point here is that our way of operating is very unlikely to change whilst Hemmings is in charge. Whether we can see it or not, there are huge problems on the horizon for many clubs in the EFL if fans aren't allowed back on stadiums soon. Risdale simply cannot be making all of this up for an audience of one.

To that effect; Neil has two viable options.

The former; accept the reality of the situation and the wider extraordinary circumstances (Covid), working with what he has (i.e. accepting the limitations of certain players to not fit his desired system) and accomodate them accordingly (i.e. find a system that they can play in). Why re-sign creative players like Harrop and not even bench them, when we were screaming out for creativity yesterday?

The latter; quite simply, get your agent to put their feelers out for his next move. I wouldn't blame him; he's done good work with our well-publicised constraints, and he will certainly improve as a manager. But in what other job could you publicly call-out (or verge on calling-out) the CEO / Owner of a company, and not expect any sort of retaliation? I completely understand his frustrations and motivation, but it's having a negative effect on and off the pitch.

I suspect this is why they expected him to leave last Summer, and wouldn't be against him going now.

FWIW, I'll support Neil whilst he's here, but he's not above redress should performances and results fail to improve.

Going to play Devil's Advocate here - and it's been said before in various ways, to varying degrees.

Neil knew the deal when he came here. He knew the managerial / top-down decision-making constraints; knew the limited budget.

Sure, he would've been sold the idealistic version of the deal (for simplicity, let's call it the 'Ingol' version). However, I'd argue that after a short amount of time he'd have figured out what was really on offer (we'll call this 'Euxton').

I feel he's come in, seen the problems with the setup (top-loaded squad with average players) and has tried - kicking and screaming lately - to affect change in the process.

But let's be brutally honest; it's not worked, has it?

Sure, we've managed to get out of our UK / Ireland mindset and bring in a European striker, but it's taken nearly 3 years to break that habit.

My point here is that our way of operating is very unlikely to change whilst Hemmings is in charge. Whether we can see it or not, there are huge problems on the horizon for many clubs in the EFL if fans aren't allowed back on stadiums soon. Risdale simply cannot be making all of this up for an audience of one.

To that effect; Neil has two viable options.

The former; accept the reality of the situation and the wider extraordinary circumstances (Covid), working with what he has (i.e. accepting the limitations of certain players to not fit his desired system) and accomodate them accordingly (i.e. find a system that they can play in). Why re-sign creative players like Harrop and not even bench them, when we were screaming out for creativity yesterday?

The latter; quite simply, get your agent to put their feelers out for his next move. I wouldn't blame him; he's done good work with our well-publicised constraints, and he will certainly improve as a manager. But in what other job could you publicly call-out (or verge on calling-out) the CEO / Owner of a company, and not expect any sort of retaliation? I completely understand his frustrations and motivation, but it's having a negative effect on and off the pitch.

I suspect this is why they expected him to leave last Summer, and wouldn't be against him going now.

FWIW, I'll support Neil whilst he's here, but he's not above redress should performances and results fail to improve.
I bet AN was made certain promises and not just the one time but also when the WBA and Stoke City opportunities were there, but we all know when a certain person makes promises they are never kept. It must be very, very frustrating for him.

When you have a wage ceiling and the players you want to stay who are regarded as your best players are already at that ceiling... you would hope it would be improved.

Worth remembering these lads could easily move to another championship or spl club for double what they earn at PNE.

So just to expect them to stay for loyalty with no increases borders on embarrassing.

We could have had a couple tied down but its all very well Peter telling Seddon that they will sit down with them. The owner needs to be realistic and offer them serious terms.

Aye, whilst we can say it's great that the 'big 4' are still here, and the fact that running their contracts down to 6 months is definitely a sacrifice of potential income from the owner, those 4 players are gonna have agents talking to them the entire time till January about who might want them and why. Hard to focus on the job at hand. Frustrating for a manager.

When you have a wage ceiling and the players you want to stay who are regarded as your best players are already at that ceiling... you would hope it would be improved.

Worth remembering these lads could easily move to another championship or spl club for double what they earn at PNE.

So just to expect them to stay for loyalty with no increases borders on embarrassing.

We could have had a couple tied down but its all very well Peter telling Seddon that they will sit down with them. The owner needs to be realistic and offer them serious terms.

That's a problem.

And a big one at that.

Just in case anyone considered the window to be a success

And yet there are those who blame AN for not having a good start to the season and insist he goes. Yes, he may make confusing, to use, decisions about the players and set up but he sees those players daily however, we are at least 80% of the time playing against stronger squads and teams with a lot more money being spent that we do. IMHO the only difference between Cardiff and us yesterday was that one goal, I didn't think that they were that much better than us, in fact according to BBC Sport we had 56% possession, 7 shots to their 10, but we had 4 on target to their 3 (so that means 57% of our shots were on target compared to their 30%) 9 corners to their 3 and 9 fouls to their 10.
Also, reported in the Press:
Cardiff City were one of the more vocal clubs at a Championship meeting last Thursday, laying their troubling financial state on thick, detailing significant seven-figure monthly losses.
They were not the only team struggling at the moment, of course, and in need of fiscal aid.
The EFL have been attempting to pull together recently. Rivals nodded in agreement as they hoped for a package formulated by the Government and Premier League, although that turned to resigned amusement and a little indignation 24 hours later.
Harry Wilson made his way to south Wales on a season-long loan from Liverpool and eyebrows were raised. Cardiff beat a fair few to his signature, the Bluebirds paying a large portion, if not all, of Wilson's £60,000 per week wages. Coupled with that, the loan fee could stretch way in excess of the £1 million if certain clauses are triggered.
It doesn't mention how much it has cost them to also bring Sheyi Ojo in also on loan from Liverpool. But these two alone must have cost Cardiff as much as we have spent in at least the last 3 years on signings and loans.
The report finishes by quoting Mehmet Dalman, Cardiff's chairman:
We'd be very disappointed with this team if we're not in the top 6 by January. Let's not be diplomatic about our start. I'm just hoping the team will gel better than they have done in the past.
It wouldn't bother me if they were in the top six by January as long as they are not in the top 6 come end of the season. In the words of Kevin Keegan - "I'd love it, just love it" if Cardiff failed after going cap in hand and pleading poverty only last week and then go and spend all of this money only to have failed and have to go into administration.

Don’t blame him one bit, we needed a full-back, a centre half as back-up, a creative player that can play on the wing and we needed a loanee young striker.

We needed another 3/4 quality signings. Instead we’re left with Bodin, Stockley, Ripley, even Hunts as I can’t see him playing anything but Cup games. Rafferty starting when he’s a back-up, Hughes starting when he should be a back-up. O’Reilly and Bayliss should potentially have been sent out for game time as they obviously won’t get any here.

The difference in the matter is every other club has strengthened with multiple players, we’ve signed 1, and a training ground. But used the ‘we’re the most financially stable club outside the prem’ as a get-away. Take COVID out of the equation and ask yourself do you really believe this window would’ve been any different.

Some people banging on about how we spent £1.2m on Riis. That’s the going rate, 1 million on a player isn’t massive now, it was 20 years ago but not now. And we wonder why we’ve made no progress when we’re spending zilch on players, expecting massive things. And then when they turn out to be not good enough, then put the blame on Neil.

Our transfer record of what we paid for David Healy 19 years ago still stands, put that into perspective.
Correct on the fee for Jakobsen.

£1.2m paid over the length of his 4 year contract, as is usually the norm these days, is just £300k PA.

Let that sink in.

Then think about all of our recent "£300k punts".

£100k PA over their 3 year deals. I am looking at Burke, Doyle, Grimshaw, etc.

It is like myself sticking £5 on Black 29 when I am substantially up. Shrug if I lose, happy days when it returns.

No way will Hemmings let them all walk out for free (perhaps Davies as I get the feeling he'll sign pre contract with Celtic). Will sell likes of DJ even if it's for 2-3m, perhaps could still get 4-5m for Pearson but that's debatable.

Agree with your second point so let's hope team are mid table with 30 odd points although of course Hull were relegated from that position after selling Grosicki and Bowen and not replacing them.

No way will Hemmings let them all walk out for free (perhaps Davies as I get the feeling he'll sign pre contract with Celtic). Will sell likes of DJ even if it's for 2-3m, perhaps could still get 4-5m for Pearson but that's debatable.

Agree with your second point so let's hope team are mid table with 30 odd points although of course Hull were relegated from that position after selling Grosicki and Bowen and not replacing them.
I just can’t envisage that in the climate. By January they’ll have around 6 months on their deals. I can possibly see them going for very low 7 figures if we’re lucky.

As soon as the transfer window closed on Friday TH wiped millions off the value of the fab 4.
As AN alluded to they are certainly not going to be able to fully concentrate on giving their all for our club while this carries on.
With regards to what TH would get for any of them in January, I wouldn’t be surprised if any of them went for more than 1 mil.

I bet AN was made certain promises and not just the one time but also when the WBA and Stoke City opportunities were there, but we all know when a certain person makes promises they are never kept. It must be very, very frustrating for him.

Budget was limited under Grayson but you were starting from lower base so could attract good players not playing regularly in championship e.g. Beckford and Garner and also good young players who'd impressed in league one at other clubs...Pearson and DJ.

After the Westley debacle it was a good strategy under Grayson and promotion could've been achieved in 13/14 but no one panicked and it just happened the next year in more memorable fashion.

And then solid consolidation in the championship again and adding experienced international players like McGeady in second season from prem reserve teams.

Neil a good managerial pick when Grayson walked out.

I was pretty happy with how Hemmings was doing things from 2013 up to January transfer window 2018 but Hugill leaving to me was a turning point in the strategy.

AN like any manager would've come in expecting to reinvest a decent amount of what was sold. Blunt truth is Robbo and Hugill have been sold for 15-20m combined and not even 20% of that has been given to him to reinvest.

How much would he get from whoever will be sold in January, not even 50% I bet.

As I posted maybe a month ago, the players hold all the cards.

A collective Royal Flush and Hemmings cannot do a single thing about it bar giving them what they want.

Pay them what they want and protect their millions worth to you.

Refuse to do so and see those "millions" disappear right in front of your IoM eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.