What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Summer Transfers 2022 : Rumours and Discussion

Pumba

Forum Patron
Patron
To follow on from this, the 2 best teams in the country have dog shit backup GKs for how big they are as teams. City have Steffen and Carson and Liverpool have Kelleher. So it’s really not that big of a deal.
Christ above man, Kelleher is one of the most highly rated keepers in the country. Klopp views him as natural successor to Alisson. What have you been smoking?

Gordon Bennett

Forum Patron
Patron
Realistically, our budget is not going to allow us to have 2 quality players in every position immediately.

I'd rather have a quality 1st XI and hope for some luck with injuries across the season.

Think of it this way -
Is it better to have one 8/10 keeper and one 2/10 keeper, or two 5/10 keepers?

Yes, we will need to ride our luck with injuries, but any team with our finances that gets promotion needs a big slice of good fortune.

We are well overdue some... maybe it's our year.

monky1234

Forum Patron
Patron
Wow

Kellerher is brilliant..unfortunate for him he has the best goalkeeper in the world in front of him

He would easily attract premier league if Liverpool to loan him / sell him
Probably unfair on Kellerher tbf but point still remains about City’s backup options and they’ve got more money than anyone.

I think we should buy a better keeper than woodman and have him has back up keeper (both on decent wages) just incase 1 gets injured but in doing this we can only buy 1 more player cos most of budget as gone on 2 strong goalkeeper's.....everyone ok with this?

Realistically, our budget is not going to allow us to have 2 quality players in every position immediately.

I'd rather have a quality 1st XI and hope for some luck with injuries across the season.

Think of it this way -

Yes, we will need to ride our luck with injuries, but any team with our finances that gets promotion needs a big slice of good fortune.

Finally someone with a bit of common sense and understands budget restraints

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
I think we should buy a better keeper than woodman and have him has back up keeper (both on decent wages) just incase 1 gets injured but in doing this we can only buy 1 more player cos most of budget as gone on 2 strong goalkeeper's.....everyone ok with this?
Chortle.

But it's not just about injury. It's about form.

If you only have one decent keeper, you can't ever drop him if he has a poor run of form.

You need competition for the place, as you do across the team.

pne_monster

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm guessing you're proposing loaning in all the other players we need (another striker, two wing backs, centre half)?

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron

Think of it this way -

I thought we were moving away from the strategy of hoping to win promotion through luck.

Jack Daniels

PNE-ONLINE Boxing Expert.
Staff member
Patron
Get a decent #2 or pay the price somewhere down the line.

I'd prefer that young kid, Joshua O aged 21, who has just been released by Spurs, not some journeyman who struggles to even see out his journey at each lower level club he stops at.

The words "lower level club" concern me extremely given his age of 30 (ish).

Avoid Cornell.

Smacks of cheap, penny pinching and mugging the fans off who have bought into this summers rhetoric.

Pnebraddy87

First Team
Finally someone with a bit of common sense and understands budget restraints
Don’t think anybody is expecting us to go and spend decent money on a back up keeper but would hope for a bit more imagination for some young talent that is keen to come and do battle with Woodman with the promise of at least cup minutes.

Sign a keeper that is never going to challenge and you run the risk of No1. Becoming complacent with the lack of competition.

I guess the other argument is the club believe they have a decent young keeper on their hands in Pradic and Woodman is also only 25 so where does another young keeper fit in.

Pne30

First Team
I think having woodman and a lower budget keeper as back up isn’t bad if we are keeping money to side for strengthening considerably in other positions. If the shit really hits the fan and woodman gets injured and 2nd choice turns out to be a Ripley we can always utilise the emergency loan market. Loaning keepers hasn’t really failed us yet 😄

monky1234

Forum Patron
Patron
Chortle.

But it's not just about injury. It's about form.

If you only have one decent keeper, you can't ever drop him if he has a poor run of form.

You need competition for the place, as you do across the team.
I think it’s quite deluded to think we can get another GK in of similar-ish quality to compete when GKs know you’re highly unlikely to get a game unless the starting GK gets injured. Good GKs aren’t going to be sitting on the bench in the championship waiting for that moment. Premier League yes, but not where we are. So sadly we are either going to get a young unproven released GK or a journeyman GK.

Bobbage

Is it a bird? Is it a plane...?
Patron

Think of it this way -

But why go for a 31yr old 2/10 keeper? Why not (as per my earlier post) go for a 23yr old with a point to prove who can be pushing Woodman in training. Get a young ex-Prem Academy release who will be happy to play cup games and be a reserve but be hungry and wanting to be number 1? Sign someone hungry and aiming to improve themselves, a current 2/10 who could become a 6 or an 8...

He only got 1 less assist than DJ and 1 less non penalty goal than him and he played about 850 minutes less. As long as he’s finally sorted his attitude out, which the talk from Derby seems that may possibly be the case, then it could be a decent rotation option for DJ which we do currently lack.
This, I don’t get the negativity. Derby fans love him

Also for those saying “we don’t play a 10”, when Browne and Johnson have a bad game, WE have a bad game, this would be good backup/competition/ a more attacking option to bring on to change games

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
This, I don’t get the negativity. Derby fans love him

Also for those saying “we don’t play a 10”, when Browne and Johnson have a bad game, WE have a bad game, this would be good backup/competition/ a more attacking option to bring on to change games

He's had attitude problems wherever he's been, and has spent the last decade failing to live up to the potential he supposedly had. Sounds like a Billy big bollocks, which isn't good for dressing rooms.

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Could it be that Cornell and the young lad from Spurs are being signed? Having 3 would potentially enable Oluwayemi to develop elsewhere with a loan spell?