PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Super Bowl LVIII

Soapy

Patron
Anyone else looking forward to this?

When did they start using roman numerals? And why?

Anyone else looking forward to this?

When did they start using roman numerals? And why?
With number V, for stylistic reasons, is what I found. Thanks to former Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt.

"Lamar Hunt is also credited for introducing Roman numerals to keep track of the championship title bowls. Super Bowl V was the first such bowl to be numbered using this system. An excerpt from the NFL media guide explains further:

The Roman numerals were adopted to clarify any confusion that may occur because the NFL Championship Game—the Super Bowl—is played in the year following a chronologically recorded season. Numerals I through IV were added later for the first four Super Bowls.

Controversially, the only Super Bowl game to not use Roman numerals was Super Bowl 50. The Roman numeral for 50 is L, and, because NFL ad designers felt that the Super Bowl L title was too unattractive and unmarketable, they opted to use the number 50 instead."

I shouldn’t have stayed up this late… but that was a great game. And Mahomes in the final plays of normal time… and in the final drive of overtime… superb. (even though I had picked SF as my team for the night)

I know absolutely nothing about American Football, but from the media attention its been getting, I'm assuming Taylor Swift plays it? Did she win?

Yeah, I had hoped SF would win it. I'm getting tired of seeing Mahomes in commercials.

I think you're imagining things. I've never once seen him in a commercial in my entire life 🤷‍♂️.

Mind you, if he's looking for that sort of work, this housing company in Swansea might be really interested. Their contact address is shown below.

1707727496528.png

Frightening to think Mahomes probably has another 10 years in him, if he stays fit.

Thought Reid might retire if they lost this one, but surely the 3-peat is too temping to walk out on now?

I know absolutely nothing about American Football, but from the media attention its been getting, I'm assuming Taylor Swift plays it? Did she win?
It's like RU I think, but they cover themselves in armour. Similar posts to kick the ball over, and a try is a touch-down, but in the US version they can throw the ball forward.

If you watch American films, every father brings his sons up, learning to catch and throw the oval ball, why it is called football is beyond me, not much footie involved.

I actually don't know the first thing about the game, overrated I reckon, not a patch on proper football.

It's like RU I think, but they cover themselves in armour. Similar posts to kick the ball over, and a try is a touch-down, but in the US version they can throw the ball forward.

If you watch American films, every father brings his sons up, learning to catch and throw the oval ball, why it is called football is beyond me, not much footie involved.

I actually don't know the first thing about the game, overrated I reckon, not a patch on proper football.
Like both forms of Rugby, I dont think anyone watching really understands what's happening.

Like both forms of Rugby, I dont think anyone watching really understands what's happening.
same with football, with the ridiculous law changes there’s been recently.

Watched MotD on Saturday - Luton v Sheff U. The two VAR penalties in that game were mind blowing. Especially as the commentator calmly said “that’s got to be a penalty with today’s rules” - as though they were obvious stonewallers. Sure enough, he was right! Just ridiculous.

same with football, with the ridiculous law changes there’s been recently.

Watched MotD on Saturday - Luton v Sheff U. The two VAR penalties in that game were mind blowing. Especially as the commentator calmly said “that’s got to be a penalty with today’s rules” - as though they were obvious stonewallers. Sure enough, he was right! Just ridiculous.
Yeah, but. It was late this morning and most of the time I couldn't see where even the ball was.
That's a must in ball sports for me.