PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Survival Tips

My wife saw this message, it gives a tip on what to do if your phone is dying and you are in an area where you might need help.

Basically, set your voicemail to instructions of approximately where you are, so even if your phone is dead, someone ringing knows whereabouts you are.

Also, if you aren't in an area without signal or internet, be sure to upload LeafSnap on your phone. It's an app where you can take photos of plants, leaves, wood bark or flowers and Google brings up results of what that is using Google Lens. Handy for if you're hungry and need to eat something but worry what's around you.

Feel free to add any tips you have, it could save a life.

Attachments

• IMG-20211026-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211026-WA0001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 8

Mountaineering Scotland

Yelasiutersodgea0yt5cc ad6t 15:10083 ·

A Facebook post has been doing the rounds recently advising people what to do if they find themselves lost or stranded with low battery or no phone signal. It involves changing your voicemail message to give your approximate position and circumstances so that anyone who calls you will receive this information even if you totally run out of battery or signal.
Whether or not this would actually work, it’s hardly the best use of a failing battery.
Mountaineering Scotland’s Mountain Safety Advisor Heather Morning says: “If you are in an emergency situation the most important thing to do is dial 999, ask for Police, and then for Mountain Rescue. A 999 call will get through on any network, even if your own is not available.
“If the signal is poor, it may still be enough to allow you to send a text message to 999, with your position and brief details of the problem. Although you have to pre-register your phone to be able to do this, it’s quick and easy to do.
“You can also find out your exact location using the free OS Locate app, which gives your position in the tried and tested format used by Mountain Rescue Teams.”
Find out more about calling Mountain Rescue and how to register your phone for 999 texts at: https://www.mountaineering.scot/.../moun.../calling-for-help

Find the OS Locate app: https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/os-locate/

Scottish Mountain Rescue Association of Mountaineering Instructors Mountain Training Glenmore Lodge Sportscotland VisitScotland DMBinS

When slaves in the Southern States used to escape and head North to freedom they knew that moss only grows on the North side of trees, this is how they kept in the right direction.

If it's phone battery concerns, always carry a small power bank. Even the credit card sized ones that would fit in your wallet give at least 50% full charge on a phone.

Help.me.quick should take you to my back garden but luckily for me it's about as accurate as a blind man at a rifle range.

My bathroom can be found by using haystacks to activate dragons.

Keeper, I reckon.

Could be a useful way to regain some dignity should I have a heart attack whilst mid-crap.

Trusted it for what?

It works, that's it really.

How does it make its money? I am presuming it's not government funded (might be wrong).

Is the APP constantly tracking the locations of users, and selling the data it collects? Maybe you'd be happy with that... but I would be against that on principle.

How does it make its money? I am presuming it's not government funded (might be wrong).

Is the APP constantly tracking the locations of users, and selling the data it collects? Maybe you'd be happy with that... but I would be against that on principle.
Ah different meaning. I assumed you meant you didn't trust the actual information / locations.