PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Matchday Thread Swansea City v PNE - 19/04/23 - KO:19:45 - Championship

Back home. It's going to take me a bit of time to unwind. Where do I start? First every single player gave everything. They were really fired up, even in the warm up routines. Swansea played what appeared to be a 4 2 1 1 2. I didn't expect Joe Allen to start and he and Grimes sat back and controlled the game. Tactically, it allowed the Swansea C Hs to drop deep and negate Delap and Cannon's pace. Latibeaudiere was switched from R.B to L.B. A good move as I predicted Alvaro's pace would destroy him. I didn't expect Manning to play up front, and I don't think Preston did. My only criticism of Preston tonight was that they came with a game plan to press Swansea without spending a few minutes working out how Swansea were set up. Sadly it went pear shaped in the first two minutes. Full credit to Preston for the early substitutions, change of shape and fight back in the second half. Bambo looked comfortable with Piroe and had to be the quickest player on the pitch. I think he should be starting but I really don't want to criticise anyone.

Back home. It's going to take me a bit of time to unwind. Where do I start? First every single player gave everything. They were really fired up, even in the warm up routines. Swansea played what appeared to be a 4 2 1 1 2. I didn't expect Joe Allen to start and he and Grimes sat back and controlled the game. Tactically, it allowed the Swansea C Hs to drop deep and negate Delap and Cannon's pace. Latibeaudiere was switched from R.B to L.B. A good move as I predicted Alvaro's pace would destroy him. I didn't expect Manning to play up front, and I don't think Preston did. My only criticism of Preston tonight was that they came with a game plan to press Swansea without spending a few minutes working out how Swansea were set up. Sadly it went pear shaped in the first two minutes. Full credit to Preston for the early substitutions, change of shape and fight back in the second half. Bambo looked comfortable with Piroe and had to be the quickest player on the pitch. I think he should be starting but I really don't want to criticise anyone.
Bambo should be starting every game , would have been 6-2 without him on the field.

They didn't seem to make the press effective though in my opinion.
Time after time, they managed to play round the press with one pass that would take 3 of our players out. We rarely broke any of their play up. Maybe a bit in the 2nd half

I thought either the team were sent out to attack leaving gaps early on or they were too fired up and made some silly mistakes which a pro shouldn’t do (but it happens all the time - Gazzas injury for example).
Disappointing but we have players out and a paper thin squad that lacks quality.
Big issue is that this chance is unlikely to come again anytime soon without significant investment on the field.

Am I the only one who doesn’t give a shit that Lowe/a player hasn’t spoken to the media tonight?
I don't see why any Manager has always to be obligated. It's the bloody media again, with too much clout.
Very often it's too soon after the Final Whistle, when the less self-controlled types can really "put their foot in it" . Yeah, that's funny , especially to a neutral, and even more so to the oppos fans etc. But is it in the best interests of the game? Debatable imo.

I wonder why someone like Gally didn't step-up ? Probably had more sense, tbh.

Disappointing but we have players out and a paper thin squad that lacks quality.
Big issue is that this chance is unlikely to come again anytime soon without significant investment on the field.
Yes agreed, but even if we jammied the next 6? games we'd still need that investment, or we'd challenge Derby County's record in the Prem.

Re the big bust up. I was sat one row behind the Preston bench, next to the players tunnel. I had the best view in the house, but so much was happening I couldn't see everything. I didn't see how it started, I began to focus as Ryan Lowe and Joe Allen were squaring up. I was 4 to 5 metres away. Anyway Ryan Lowe lost it and really went for Joe Allen grabbing him by the throat. I think Ryan Lowe might be deemed to be chief instigator. Neither opponent backed down and backroom staff and players from both sides came flying in. Full credit (or maybe not) to Alvaro, he was in the thick of it, I think he threw or attempted to throw a few punches but none connected I think it might have been Hughes who pulled him away and tried to calm him down, but he was up for more! A Swans supporter next to me shouted look at those two, so I think a few more punches were thrown to my left but I didn't see. Cut a long story short, I think we're in for a very big fine and possibly a few suspensions. As the game continued the Swans bench, mainly younger players were shouting abuse and gesturing to the Preston bench and Russel Martin did three or four fist pumps whilst staring at the Preston bench when they scored their fourth. Not very classy. Big shout to Ben Whiteman, while all this abuse was going on, he was stood in front of me and looked ready for a scrap. I actually put my arm on his shoulder and suggested he should calm down and save it for Blackburn. The stewards / security were in a right flap and reinforcements were sent for. The players tunnel was locked and security formed a sort of dividing line in the tunnel as far as I could see. A pity for me as I spoke to Freddie Woodman before the game and he said he'd give me his gloves. I was allowed in the coach tunnel after the game and spoke to a few players, they were shattered, gutted and some of them were angry. As I said earlier no one deserves criticism tonight, those players gave everything.

Tell you what Ryan forget the 'we have to be pragmatic' just fukin go for it.
IF we win the last 3 games we MAY have a chance if we don't we are where we are anyway!!!

I'm going to back read this thread, I've just spotted Russel Martin's got the first punch in regarding press. He's a slimeball.

I'm going to back read this thread, I've just spotted Russel Martin's got the first punch in regarding press. He's a slimeball.

Lowe and North End passed on the opportunity to give a post game interview. It seemed like a terse 'No Comment'.

They didn't seem to make the press effective though in my opinion.
Time after time, they managed to play round the press with one pass that would take 3 of our players out. We rarely broke any of their play up. Maybe a bit in the 2nd half
That was the problem. Preston pressed and either Joe Allen or Matt Grimes drove through the heart of our midfield and created a three on three or a four on two at times. Swansea did their homework and Preston didn't react.