PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Target?

Could you please feed back the odds ... ;-)

40/1 for us to make the play offs. My odds probably bigger than that :ROFLMAO: Interesting Derby are odds on to make the play offs at 5/6. On last night's evidence we are more than a match for them!!

I think we have no chance of the playoffs.

We've left ourselves with far too much to do, and I highly doubt our squad is good enough to win the 6-7 games on the bounce at this level required to even put us in with a realistic shout, let alone cement a playoff place.

A top half finish is salvageable, and I think would be a great achievement given where we were in October. IMO, we have to have one eye on next season already. Keeping hold of at least two thirds of the Browne/Pearson/Robinson triumvirate is crucial to give us a chance next season.

I think we have no chance of the playoffs.

We've left ourselves with far too much to do, and I highly doubt our squad is good enough to win the 6-7 games on the bounce at this level required to even put us in with a realistic shout, let alone cement a playoff place.

A top half finish is salvageable, and I think would be a great achievement given where we were in October. IMO, we have to have one eye on next season already. Keeping hold of at least two thirds of the Browne/Pearson/Robinson triumvirate is crucial to give us a chance next season.

Agree with all of that. We would probably need to average almost 2.5 points per game over the remaining 16 games to finish in the top 6.
If we can keep all or nearly all of our key players over the summer and with no repeat of this season’s horrific injury crisis then next season could put us in with a very realistic chance of at least a playoff position

Our target should obviously be to finish as high as possible but also bed in certain players ahead of next season.

Also, recruitment planning is going to be important for us, especially with key players set to leave

Leaving key business late last summer and not filling a couple of positions hurt us badly, like this month our summer window needs to be wrapped up fairly quickly so AN can plan correctly.

Many are presuming rob bo will be gone? Why? What do you know that the rest don't?
Targets.
  1. Keep team together.
  2. Develop varied formations and player understanding.
  3. Work out how to beat teams that park and he bus.
  4. Work out how to improve gates to 18k + . (That's minimum our play deserves imo)

Unless Pearson, Browne, or Robinson insist on a move to the Premiership keep the squad together. In fact based on forum match reports we should add Storey and Davies to the list.

Many are presuming rob bo will be gone? Why? What do you know that the rest don't?
Targets.
  1. Keep team together.
  2. Develop varied formations and player understanding.
  3. Work out how to beat teams that park and he bus.
  4. Work out how to improve gates to 18k + . (That's minimum our play deserves imo)

Only points 2 and 3 are in the manager and players direct control. I think point 1 is an impossibility if looking any further than 2 transfer windows ahead, maximum. We will only achieve point 4 if we win promotion to the Premier League.

Or alternatively by committing financial suicide by drastically slashing our ticket prices, although I highly doubt even that would entice enough fans needed to double the current number of ST holders and get us close to averaging over 18k home fans per game.

So basically...we just need to consistently win football matches...easier said than done!

Totally agree.
Should we really worry about losing players? Our excellent recruitment record gives hope that any players who leave will be covered by new players we have/will bring in.

Totally agree.
Should we really worry about losing players? Our excellent recruitment record gives hope that any players who leave will be covered by new players we have/will bring in.

Only thing with losing players is that it takes time for new players to bed in/get up to the level required. Robinson and Browne are two examples of that. Been here years and only in the last 18 months or so have started to really come to the fore.

We buy young again (Ginnelly as a prime example) and you run the risk of potentially taking a step or two backward in order to move forward in the future. Can we afford to take that risk? Probably not, but Hemmings has shown with his transfer windows in recent seasons that he won't be splashing the cash willy nilly. So, unfortunately, if key players do go and are only replaced with future prospects, we may have to be that kind of club, instead of pushing for the top flight like the higher ups at the club keep insisting we are.

Only thing with losing players is that it takes time for new players to bed in/get up to the level required. Robinson and Browne are two examples of that. Been here years and only in the last 18 months or so have started to really come to the fore.

We buy young again (Ginnelly as a prime example) and you run the risk of potentially taking a step or two backward in order to move forward in the future. Can we afford to take that risk? Probably not, but Hemmings has shown with his transfer windows in recent seasons that he won't be splashing the cash willy nilly. So, unfortunately, if key players do go and are only replaced with future prospects, we may have to be that kind of club, instead of pushing for the top flight like the higher ups at the club keep insisting we are.

Keep the faith mate, last season we had a terrible injury crisis and managed to finish 7th, this season we have had an even worse injury crisis and after looking down the barrel of a smoking gun look to now appear to be capable of making the top half, all this on our level of buying and selling.
If next season, if one or two do decide to move on and we have to bring in a couple, if we can get a bit of luck on the injury front, and maybe more importantly AN is willing and eager to see out is 3/5year plan, we could make the promised land of the Prem, and we will be able to watch our favourite team on any day other than 3pm on a Saturday.(y)

Keep the faith mate, last season we had a terrible injury crisis and managed to finish 7th, this season we have had an even worse injury crisis and after looking down the barrel of a smoking gun look to now appear to be capable of making the top half, all this on our level of buying and selling.
If next season, if one or two do decide to move on and we have to bring in a couple, if we can get a bit of luck on the injury front, and maybe more importantly AN is willing and eager to see out is 3/5year plan, we could make the promised land of the Prem, and we will be able to watch our favourite team on any day other than 3pm on a Saturday.(y)

Faith is still intact, brother.

I'm all for our transfer policy, I think it's the only way a club like us can go about making the promised land but, in my opinion, the club can't keep harping on about getting to the Premier League within a given time frame and buying and selling like we have been doing. The transfers of Potts and Stockley represent a decent outlay for a club like us, but largely that's uncommon in recent times for us to spend (if figures touted around are to be believed) the best part of £2m (if not more) on two players.

Storey is one who has come in for little outlay and hit the ground running pretty much. But, for every Storey, there's a Burke who may never make it and there's a Browne and a Robinson who will get there eventually but will take time. But there's, in my opinion, a level above which we have been recruiting without going out and spunking millions of pounds on one player, like Leeds et al have done.

The issue I have, in short, is when there's all talk from the club of going for the Premier League but trying to do it on the equivalent (largely) budget of a League One club and hoping the players that are signed come good at some point. I understand we spent a decent wedge on Horgan and Boyle, neither of them turned out well, really. I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point.

Faith is still intact, brother.

I'm all for our transfer policy, I think it's the only way a club like us can go about making the promised land but, in my opinion, the club can't keep harping on about getting to the Premier League within a given time frame and buying and selling like we have been doing. The transfers of Potts and Stockley represent a decent outlay for a club like us, but largely that's uncommon in recent times for us to spend (if figures touted around are to be believed) the best part of £2m (if not more) on two players.

Storey is one who has come in for little outlay and hit the ground running pretty much. But, for every Storey, there's a Burke who may never make it and there's a Browne and a Robinson who will get there eventually but will take time. But there's, in my opinion, a level above which we have been recruiting without going out and spunking millions of pounds on one player, like Leeds et al have done.

The issue I have, in short, is when there's all talk from the club of going for the Premier League but trying to do it on the equivalent (largely) budget of a League One club and hoping the players that are signed come good at some point. I understand we spent a decent wedge on Horgan and Boyle, neither of them turned out well, really. I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point.

The reality is that it's always 'next season' and 'if this' or 'if that'.

'If' the starts all align for us one season, then who knows. But sadly I think the promised land will always remain tantalisingly out of reach.