Team for Sunday

OP
E

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Yep. Well, Fisher isn’t available, so Browne starts for me.

Fair enough - so long as we have Johnson in midfield. The absolutely crucial thing is that we avoid the dreadful formation of the opening day of the season with Browne wasted at right-back while the '3' of Potts, Bodin and Sinclair thrashed around ineffectively - something that would not greatly be improved by the return of Barkhuizen. We absolutely have to have one or other of Browne and Johnson in that forward midfield area to create the opportunities for the likes of Sinclair to exploit.

I don’t think Browne has any sort of positional sense to play right back. The game against Swansea showed it when he let Bidwell have the freedom of Deepdale

If we’re talking about positional sense, let’s talk about Rafferty for Brentford’s first.

I’m just of the opinion that Browne offers us more from the right back spot. He’s far from perfect.

Fisher, Browne, Rafferty for me.

Bhagwan H

Forum Patron
Patron
As much as possible I'd try to stick to the same as against Brentford. Results not too bad today, Decent win tomorrow can elevate us up to 10th.

Onwards and upwards.

GraemePNE

First Team
Browne is wasted at right back. Play him at 10. He is as good as DJ at linking the play, has an eye for a goal. Problem for Neil he is awash with players who’d like to play in those forward positions, but by far, Browne has to play when fit and in form

Lee Trundle

Advisor to the Owner
Browne is wasted at right back. Play him at 10. He is as good as DJ at linking the play, has an eye for a goal. Problem for Neil he is awash with players who’d like to play in those forward positions, but by far, Browne has to play when fit and in form.

Hmmmmmmm

DJ is miles better than Browne in the 10.

GraemePNE

First Team
Potts deserves his place in the side with Ledson and Pearson. Think Maguire will start up top with Riis playing a 20 min cameo. Neil’s already said pre-match that it’s been a tough start for Riis with the international duty and he’s not had much training time with the team.

GraemePNE

First Team
No doubt that DJ is a great player on the ball, Browne sets the tempo for the team when we play the high press. Also runs for 90 mins. Be nice to have them both playing in a system together rather than being one or the other

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Browne sets the tempo for the team when we play the high press.
Correct, but it's an entirely different thing to argue that he's as good as Johnson at linking the play.

Johnson is comfortably better at that. You can give him the ball in any area or in any tight space and he will keep hold of it. He's also easily the best in the squad at playing defence splitting passes that slip our forwards in.

GraemePNE

First Team
Correct, but it's an entirely different thing to argue that he's as good as Johnson at linking the play.

Johnson is comfortably better at that. You can give him the ball in any area or in any tight space and he will keep hold of it. He's also easily the best in the squad at playing defence splitting passes that slip our forwards in.
No doubt with the ball, DJ’s our best player. Ledson also has an eye for a pass and is our top assist maker this season so far.
Ideally you’d play all your best players in their best positions. It’s getting harder to do that and definitely shouldn’t mean putting Browne at right back just to get him in the team

GraemePNE

First Team
DJ has to play at 10 because he is very effective there and only there

Potts deserves to start but I can only see him starting on the right instead of Barky. His best position is also at 10!
Also don’t think Barky is best our wide. Obviously his pace affords him that position, but he’s too indecisive with the final ball or finish. Barky is probably most effective playing off the last man in a counter attacking system.

So on merit Potts should get the nod at 10, but DJ and Browne also offer different things. It’s a tough call

GraemePNE

First Team
Rudd
Rafferty Bauer Davies Hughes
Pearson
Browne Ledson Sinclair
DJ
Maguire

if Browne doesn’t play then has to be between Barky and Potts. High press, I’d suggest Barky with his pace to help Rafferty out. Potts for a more physical approach.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Rudd
Rafferty Bauer Davies Hughes
Pearson
Browne Ledson Sinclair
DJ
Maguire

if Browne doesn’t play then has to be between Barky and Potts. High press, I’d suggest Barky with his pace to help Rafferty out. Potts for a more physical approach.
What on Earth is that formation?