Team v Scunthorpe

billymac

Forum Patron
Patron
Two things come to mind....do you not think Kilkenny has had enough space to make a more significant contribution this season and secondly would it be a luxury having both him and Gallagher in forward "free" roles?

don't get this JR, Kilkenny is a luxury too far, he can't/won't tackle, wins nothing in the air (unlike players of a similar height) as I have seen milk turn quicker, he is always demanding the ball and imho had been the main reason Browne and Brownhill have not progressed this season, he should be nowhere near the 1st eleven.

OP
budgierustler

budgierustler

Forum Patron
Patron
don't get this JR, Kilkenny is a luxury too far, he can't/won't tackle, wins nothing in the air (unlike players of a similar height) as I have seen milk turn quicker, he is always demanding the ball and imho had been the main reason Browne and Brownhill have not progressed this season, he should be nowhere near the 1st eleven.

Bill I agree 100%....the point I was making was that you cant have Kilkenny and Gallagher in forward midfield postions as you are down to 8 tacklers. Welsh and Johnson for me

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Bill I agree 100%....the point I was making was that you cant have Kilkenny and Gallagher in forward midfield postions as you are down to 8 tacklers. Welsh and Johnson for me

Welsh had a good game on Monday. Tackled hard and got in some important blocks. Need some forward play along side him though.

billymac

Forum Patron
Patron

agree John and when you throw in a Reid or Humphrey or Robinson you are down to 7 who can tackle.

pet shop boy

Forum Patron
Patron
I don't think you can critisise Grayston for selecting Humphrey instead of Wiseman at wing back against United. Both players are pacy with Humps having the edge going forward. Neither of them are great though although their speed makes up some of their mistakes. I think Kilkenny flatters to deceive and he likes to see the stats after the match that show he has the most touches of the ball. He cringes when the ball comes at him and seems to avoid tackling. No one can doubt his skill but how many of his passes have created a goal ? I agree With BillyM about how he's not helped in developing Browne and Brownhill by constantly demanding the ball. We need an energetic midfielder on loan, to help in our promotion push.

sf

Forum Patron
Patron
Bollocks to three at the back at home in League One.

It was dog shite at home to Yeovil and Bailey Wright was hauled off at half time.

------------Johnstone
Wiseman, Clarke, Huntington, Laird
--------------Welsh
Gallagher-------------------- Reid
-------------Johnson
---------Garner, Ebanks-Blake

sf

Forum Patron
Patron
I can't believe the amount of people that are saying Davies should be dropped.

He's been superb for us.

He has but it's a personal preference for most I reckon as lets face it, he won't score and when he's on the pitch we hoof it a lot more.

I think he will keep his place though and deservedly so.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Johnstone

Woods Clarke Huntington Laird

Johnson Welsh Browne

Gallagher Garner Robinson

Not a bad side - I might prefer Wiseman at right-back, Woods at left-back and Laird in place of Browne (though I like Browne and am dismayed he seems to have gone off the rader lately). I also might start Ebanks-Blake alongside Garner and tell Gallagher to roam left and right as he pleased.

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
I can't believe the amount of people that are saying Davies should be dropped.

He's been superb for us.

His presence on the pitch encourages a dour style of play.

However, I think most people aren't including him in their teams because of the fact he missed training yesterday and is an apparent doubt for Saturday.

Preston Lad

Forum Patron
Patron
His presence on the pitch encourages a dour style of play.

However, I think most people aren't including him in their teams because of the fact he missed training yesterday and is an apparent doubt for Saturday.

Like we were playing scintilating football when it was Garner up top on his own!

Grayson has said he'll be ok for tomorrow so it will be Garner and Davies I reckon.

Last edited:

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
What I find disheartening is that at this stage of the season, we still don't have a settled eleven, and we can't agree with our best side or our best formation.

All teams that seem to do well in all divisions have a largely settled squad... I can't remember the last time we had that at North End.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Johnstone
Wiseman
Clarke
Huntington
Wright
Laird
Welsh
Kilkenny
Gallagher
Davies
Garner

subs: Stuckmann, Robinson, Humphrey, Woods, Ebanks-Blake, Johnson, Hugill

Last edited:

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
Like we were playing scintilating football when it was Garner up top on his own!

Grayson has said he'll be ok for tomorrow so I think it will be Garner and Davies I reckon.

Its a fair comment. We did however go on a large winning run with that formation. I'm a shit fan these days, I've barley been on this season, so I can't really comment on the performances of the team. But, from the little I have seen, we do look rather one dimensional and extremely predictable when Davies is playing.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Johnstone
Wiseman
Clarke
Huntington
Wright
Laird
Welsh
Johnson
Kilkenny
Gallagher
Davies
Garner

subs: Stuckmann, Robinson, Humphrey, Woods, Ebanks-Blake, Beckford (if fit), Hugill

I would like this as well, but by the sound of Grayson's interview yesterday, next weekend at Oldham is more likely for his comeback. Apparently he needs to do some fitness work having done nothing but lie in bed for 4 weeks.

Preston Lad

Forum Patron
Patron
What I find disheartening is that at this stage of the season, we still don't have a settled eleven, and we can't agree with our best side or our best formation.

All teams that seem to do well in all divisions have a largely settled squad... I can't remember the last time we had that at North End.

I'll agree with that!

rem

Forum Patron
Patron
Johnstone
Wiseman
Clarke
Huntington
Wright
Laird
Welsh
Johnson
Kilkenny
Gallagher
Davies
Garner

subs: Stuckmann, Robinson, Humphrey, Woods, Ebanks-Blake, Beckford (if fit), Hugill

You will have to take one out of that team to reduce it to eleven! I suggest Kilkenny.

I don't think Woods, Hugill and Beckford will be fit enough to be in the squad. I would suggest King, Kilkenny and Reid instead