PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Team v Scunthorpe

His presence on the pitch encourages a dour style of play.

However, I think most people aren't including him in their teams because of the fact he missed training yesterday and is an apparent doubt for Saturday.

I wasn't including him as he doesn't score and I think we need to be pushing on now.

From what I've seen this season we've not had enough in midfield. No creativity and no link between midfield and attack. With Kilkenny in the side purely passing the ball sideways, we pass it out to the likes of Humphrey & Reid who then, more often than not, either proceed to fail to beat their man, cut back inside (back to square one) or put the ball in to touch. And because we can't play the ball through the middle of the park we often bypass it entirely and lump it up to Davies (not his fault; he's done pretty well).

I've not seen him play yet, but judging by many comments and some highlights/youtube clips, Johnson could be the missing link in the midfield. Finally a player who can run forward with the ball and link midfield with attack?! With Johnson in the side I think a 4-3-1-2 could work (I seem to recall us playing this before but I've never seen it?):

Johnstone
Wiseman - Clarke - Huntington - Laird
Browne - Welsh - Johnson
Gallagher
Garner - Davies

Welsh sitting infront of the defence as the enforcer, with Browne and Johnson encouraged to get forward. Gallagher with a free role in behind Garner & Davies. Of course long ball wouldn't be the aim with this formation but that doesn't mean Davies can't be effective. No doubt I would be picking Beckford in that side if he was fit, but I think Davies deserves to keep his spot after his performance on Tuesday. Wiseman & Laird also encouraged to get forward to provide width when possible, but not recklessly so.

If not working it can easily be changed to a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1/4-5-1.

Sounds like Kev is fit to play so I think it will be the Johns(t)on(e)s back in for Stucks and Kilkenny and maybe Wiseman in for Humph.

I think that if Davies isn't available, despite the string of strikers now fit, Grayson would go with Garner up top on his own.

If we started with a 3-4-1-2 of

Johnstone

Wiseman
Hunts
Clarke

Humphrey
Welsh
Johnson
Laird

Gally

Garner
Robinson

It could easily be switched to a 4-2-3-1

Johnstone

Wiseman
Clarke
Hunts
Laird

Johnson
Welsh

Humphrey
Gally
Robinson

Garner

Or even a 4-4-2 with a midfield of

Humphrey
Welsh
Johnson
Gally

Then Garner and Robinson up top.

Johnstone

Clarke Huntington Wright
Wiseman Welsh Johnson Laird
Gallagher
Garner Davies

Stuckmann, King, Browne, Kilkenny, Humphrey, Reid, Ebanks-Blake, Hugill

Johnstone

Clarke Huntington Wright
Wiseman Welsh Johnson Laird
Gallagher
Garner Davies

Stuckmann, King, Browne, Kilkenny, Humphrey, Reid, Ebanks-Blake, Hugill

I agree with your starting eleven but not 8 subs! Hugill probably not quite fit enough and replace Browne with Robinson who you have forgotten.

I agree with your starting eleven but not 8 subs! Hugill probably not quite fit enough and replace Browne with Robinson who you have forgotten.
Shit, can't count:) Probably pull Humphrey or Browne off the bench then, Hugill played 90 minutes earlier this week so he should hopefully be fit for a sub apperance. Didn't forget Robinson, just didn't pick him.

Bollocks to three at the back at home in League One.

It was dog shite at home to Yeovil and Bailey Wright was hauled off at half time.

------------Johnstone
Wiseman, Clarke, Huntington, Laird
--------------Welsh
Gallagher-------------------- Reid
-------------Johnson
---------Garner, Ebanks-Blake

Don't Bristol City play 3 at the back?

Have no idea what the team may be but I'm so looking forward to seeing all my new friends again from Monday night.

No to 3 centre halves at home in the league with 2 wing backs who are actually defenders therefore playing 5 defenders at home...... No.....!!

Johnstone

Wiseman Huntington Clarke Laird

Kilkenny Welsh

Johnson

Robinson Gallagher

Garner

Or Beckford and Garner with Kilkenny dropping out

I still stand by this being as strong as any team we can put out..... Johnson allowed the freedom to get forward and Gally and Robinson a free role in and around Garner. Robinson played much further wide in the second half.