Tennis Thread 2021

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Sally Jones has her say:

I'm not sure how someone who has won four grand slams can be accused of not being able to handle pressure? And as for the 'don't play the game, then', well, that's exactly what she is currently doing.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Sally Jones has her say:

No idea who Sally Jones is, but presumably some gobshite prepared to say insensitive crap to make a name for herself with the frothing DM readers.

If she’s a salaried hack, and the pressure ever gets to her such that she needs time off with stress, I guess she’ll be refusing to accept sick pay?

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
You’re fairly wide of the mark.
OK... as I said, I really don't know who she is, haven't clicked the article - but if, as the link indicates, she belittles this tennis player who suffers real mental anguish and mental health issues when having to face the press by saying it's "just answering a few questions" - that seems a crass thing to say. Like telling a severely depressed person to "snap out of it and cheer up".

In what way am I "fairly wide of the mark?"

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
She’s a multiple Oxford blue and a three time world real tennis champion.

Less impressively, she paved the way for Sally Nugent.

If you try hard enough, you’ll picture her perched on the BBC Breakfast Time sofa.

LostinSpace

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Staff member
Patron
Nothing from you on the French Open yet Regardless?

I’m not going to get involved in the Osaka stuff but did you see what Venus Williams said about how she copes with the Press?

Nothing about them having to do their jobs or having papers to sell (or not being obliged to blow smoke up the asses of the players).

Nope.

It’s because she thinks they’ll never “light a candle” to her. I think she means ‘hold a candle’ but I imagine tennis prodigies miss a lot of schooling.

Did nothing to change my mind regarding my theory that tennis pros are the least likeable people in sport.
A high percentage are self obsessed spoilt brats who never wanted for anything. That's only my opinion... :)

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
In previous years’ tennis threads, I’ve registered some excitement at Jack Draper’s youthful potential.

Almost all fall by the wayside, of course, and for whatever reason, he really hasn’t progressed through the rankings like I hoped - not cracked the top 250 yet and he’s 19 now.

An on-paper super victory at Queen’s today will at least mean a new career-high for his ranking though. Jannik Sinner is world number 23 - although inexperienced on grass but Draper must have shown some guts. Sinner was 40-15 serving for a 5-0 lead in the opener but Draper saved a couple of set points on the way to taking it 7-6. And Sinner served for the second set too - but again Draper fought back.

“One swallow” and all that but fingers crossed that he bucks the trend and rediscovers success.

OP
Regardless

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Get in!!

Superb from Jack Draper. Knocked out Bublik - world no 37 - with a gutsy performance 7-6 7-6

Bublik was in an odd mood at times - and, to an extent, succeeded at getting into Draper’s head by messing about, even some sneaky underarm serves. But a great learning experience to come through that.

He plays fellow Brit Cameron Norrie in the quarters. Dan Evans and Andy Murray have a chance to make it 4 brits in the quarters- and I would be surprised if that’s ever happened before at ATP Tour level tennis