Test Cricket 2021

OP
J

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
I was never a fan of Graveney so there’s a bit of bias from me but an interesting point nevertheless.

What point is he actually trying to make?

Several of those involved in that tour served their bans and went on to play again for England and/or take up other roles within the game. Graveney’s appointment was seven years after the tour.

Is he saying that‘s wrong and, therefore, that Robinson shouldn’t be allowed back?

wld

Forum Patron
Patron

Several of those involved in that tour served their bans and went on to play again for England and/or take up other roles within the game. Graveney’s appointment was seven years after the tour.

Is he saying that‘s wrong and, therefore, that Robinson shouldn’t be allowed back?
Two things I think. Firstly, and mainly, the culture in cricket hierarchy could well be inherently racist - something that Ramprakash and Carberry picked up on yesterday. Secondly, if you look hard enough, you’ll find something for a lot of people.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
Buttler and Morgan are both under investigation after mocking Indian elocution of English on tweets.....

The world has gone mad !!

Will they go back and look at anyone impersonating or mocking an Australian accent?

I read the tweets about elocution some time ago and saw it as much about how ultra polite the Indian requests for photos etc were. However, they will be punished and will probably have to undergo race awareness training or something.

If I was a player on the verges of the England squad I’d be employing the services of a social media expert to cleanse and check my history.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I was never a fan of Graveney so there’s a bit of bias from me but an interesting point nevertheless.

As per @justinr73 comment too, I've read and re-read that tweet and find it confusing.

The rebels were indeed punished (career-ending in the case of Boycott and others), so have served their time. But the wording is strange. "Apartheid busting" suggests a 'good/positive' thing, i.e. refusing to accept the status quo and going to play regardless. Although of course that wasn't the case, the tour was funded by South African breweries, who supported the state, so in that sense not good, and the players' intentions were entirely financial, not political, despite what some of them tried to justify (badly) afterwards.

If the general sentiment is to highlight the need to witch-hunt all wrong-doing from the last 40 years, then crack on, but it's rediculous.

One solution is that all sportsmen are contractually obliged to delete their social media accounts on signing their first professional deal. In fact, that would be an acceptable solution to many things in life, for me.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Will they go back and look at anyone impersonating or mocking an Australian accent?

I read the tweets about elocution some time ago and saw it as much about how ultra polite the Indian requests for photos etc were. However, they will be punished and will probably have to undergo race awareness training or something.

If I was a player on the verges of the England squad I’d be employing the services of a social media expert to cleanse and check my history.
Where does it all end though ?

The English have been subject to mocking for years especially from the Aussies....

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
As per @justinr73 comment too, I've read and re-read that tweet and find it confusing.

The rebels were indeed punished (career-ending in the case of Boycott and others), so have served their time. But the wording is strange. "Apartheid busting" suggests a 'good/positive' thing, i.e. refusing to accept the status quo and going to play regardless. Although of course that wasn't the case, the tour was funded by South African breweries, who supported the state, so in that sense not good, and the players' intentions were entirely financial, not political, despite what some of them tried to justify (badly) afterwards.

If the general sentiment is to highlight the need to witch-hunt all wrong-doing from the last 40 years, then crack on, but it's rediculous.

One solution is that all sportsmen are contractually obliged to delete their social media accounts on signing their first professional deal. In fact, that would be an acceptable solution to many things in life, for me.

Come on… it’s really not that confusing! You got it, in your own words “If the general sentiment is to highlight the need to witch-hunt all wrong-doing from the last 40 years, then crack on” - surely that is glaringly obviously the sarcastic point of the tweet

The meaning of “apartheid-busting was clear too” Technically, it should say something like “apartheid-sanction-busting” but it’s a brief tweet. Surely there’s no one who doesn’t understand what’s intended

I’ll stop now because I am just adding even more dirt on top of the mountain that you made from that molehill 😁

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Come on… it’s really not that confusing! You got it, in your own words “If the general sentiment is to highlight the need to witch-hunt all wrong-doing from the last 40 years, then crack on” - surely that is glaringly obviously the sarcastic point of the tweet

The meaning of “apartheid-busting was clear too” Technically, it should say something like “apartheid-sanction-busting” but it’s a brief tweet. Surely there’s no one who doesn’t understand what’s intended

I’ll stop now because I am just adding even more dirt on top of the mountain that you made from that molehill 😁
Fuck me mate. Patronising much?

OP
J

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron

I think wld is nearer the mark.

There have been several much less clumsily worded articles in the Press on similar lines over the last few years.

Perhaps this bloke should stick to his niche and keep his oar out.

Of course, what the ECB is really concerned about here is the damage they perceive is being caused to the 100, a needless tournament that they have gambled their once substantial cash reserves to set up.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Where does it all end though ?

The English have been subject to mocking for years especially from the Aussies....
My Greek mates take the piss out of me all the time for the way I mangle Greek, and I take the piss out of the way they speak English! All in good humour.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I think wld is nearer the mark.

There have been several much less clumsily worded articles in the Press on similar lines over the last few years.

Not quite sure quite what you’re referring to there but I am pretty sure I agree entirely with wld and think that there’s nothing in my post contrary to that.
And maybe there have been some absolutely superbly written pieces in the press in recent years- but this is a short tweet, and of the moment - so I don’t get why they’re comparing or relevant. The tweet seems fair comment IMO.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
IMO, being open, you were either finding ways to misunderstand that tweet - OR you just misread it.

I was ribbing you a bit for it. But if it came across patronising, that wasn’t intended.
The tweet is stupid, ill-informed, and doesn't help anything.

There was no misunderstanding from my side. Perhaps a failure to understand, sure. But not a mis-understanding.

bigtallsi

Forum Patron
Patron

Div who has an issue with Public Skool education by the looks of it (and possibly Accountants). Bess was at Blundell's. Stokes seems to avoid this type of stereotyping for some reason

OP
J

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Div who has an issue with Public Skool education by the looks of it (and possibly Accountants). Bess was at Blundell's. Stokes seems to avoid this type of stereotyping for some reason

He’s been tweeting today about his issues with Jaffa Cakes releasing a doughnut version or something.

Seems to know more about it than cricket tbf.

Grav spoke at our club fairly recently. He came across OK although I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone look quite so purple.

James Foster was a bit of a dick a while back though.

Think I may have previously mentioned the out of control antics of a very successful off-spinner at our annual dinner, although I believe he handed back his appearance money so fair enough.

Last edited:

bigtallsi

Forum Patron
Patron
Question, and in no way facetious. June 21 going more and more tits up as each day goes by ( or least according to the heinous and bizarrely reinstated Kay Burley on Sky News) so why so many packed in?

Great to see admittedly but does it fit with the current narrative?

News and Current Affairs section probably has the answer but don't look as its full of rabid nonsense😂