Thank you North Face

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
This is funny and a top level bit of trolling. It also highlights the hypocrisy and/or stupidity of certain companies.

North Face refused to allow the addition of an Oil & Gas companies logo to some of their jackets, which is common practice for large companies. my company has loads of branded Under Armour gear.

A CEO of another O&G company has responded.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
This is funny and a top level bit of trolling. It also highlights the hypocrisy and/or stupidity of certain companies.

North Face refused to allow the addition of an Oil & Gas companies logo to some of their jackets, which is common practice for large companies. my company has loads of branded Under Armour gear.

A CEO of another O&G company has responded.

Yet more cynical virtue signalling which doesn’t stand up to even the flimsiest scrutiny.
Companies know that the people who like these meaningless gestures are unlikely to think it through logically. They’d rather live in the la-la-land set aside for those who love trendy bullshit.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
What a sad view to have.
Not really. I have great respect for people who champion causes, who research their opinions and who pursue their ideals. Even if I disagree with them.

That said, there will always be some selfish people in society, an entirely different group who talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. In this group of people, their casual support for a cause is more about them wishing to appear virtuous than actual positive action.

You can see examples of this after almost any major gathering, such as a music festival or similar. People who support calls to reduce carbon emissions, yet leave their litter behind, including their disposable tent.

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
Funny thing is, North Face is owned by VF Corporation, who also own Bulwick.

Bulwick are possibly the largest provider of fire resistant clothing for those working in the oil industry.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Not really. I have great respect for people who champion causes, who research their opinions and who pursue their ideals. Even if I disagree with them.

That said, there will always be some selfish people in society, an entirely different group who talk the talk but don’t walk the walk. In this group of people, their casual support for a cause is more about them wishing to appear virtuous than actual positive action.

You can see examples of this after almost any major gathering, such as a music festival or similar. People who support calls to reduce carbon emissions, yet leave their litter behind, including their disposable tent.
Yup - that is too often the case. Especially when such actions overlap with marketing and selling more products!

Although, to be fair, most of us are guilty of an element of hypocrisy when it comes to the environment.

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
Wouldn't it then make more sense moneywise to equip whoever is asking for ?

And there we have it.

They've made, what they deem, the most profitable decision. That is all that has happened.

To answer your question directly. Short term, probably yes. Long term, possibly not. Depends how concerned you are with being 'cancelled'.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Definitely, the only difference is we don't usually have the platform to make a tit of ourselves or the PR to say "'umm, hang on a min, maybe rethink that one."
That is very true.

All it would have taken was someone within the PR group. who studied a bit of chemistry at school, to say - hold on, what are our garments made of?