PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

That Trump fella.

If you're in the DC area you may need a hiding place more than I do. Oklahoma is the 19th most heavily armed state. DC on the other hand is the second most heavily armed place behind only Wyoming.

Oregon, close to the other Washington. Turns out folk are armed the the teeth out here as well.

I have said it before- All my life, it has always been an absolute mystery to me how Hitler gained power. Not saying this is the same but looking at the USA now, - I can now understand the social dynamics that allowed it to happen.

Ha ha. Not heard of that one - and I won’t be committing it to memory!

Godwin is using the same technique for generating self-publicity as Mystic Meg when she wrote her Sunday horoscopes. “Watch out for a welcome bit of luck coming your way this week.” she might say.

So if you have any bit of luck at any time in the next 7 days, you recall Mystic Meg. If you get no luck, she never crosses your mind.

Same here.Hitler’s exploits were the biggest world event in the last century. Hardly surprising that the topic will arise with some regularity - and when it does, you think Godwin was right. But nothing ever triggers you to think he was wrong.

Godwin wasn't implying that any mention of Nazis is inapt. There are occasions when it's entirely appropriate since they're a type of benchmark for specific behaviour and circumstances. For example the 'unite the right' racists in attendance at Charlottesville were labelled Nazis by many. The reaction of the creator of Godwins law?

Godwin wasn't implying that any mention of Nazis is inapt. There are occasions when it's entirely appropriate since they're a type of benchmark for specific behaviour and circumstances. For example the 'unite the right' racists in attendance at Charlottesville were labelled Nazis by many. The reaction of the creator of Godwins law?

I admire your stubbornness on this issue and you're right.

I have said it before- All my life, it has always been an absolute mystery to me how Hitler gained power. Not saying this is the same but looking at the USA now, - I can now understand the social dynamics that allowed it to happen.
Hi... I wonder that at times but i think fear was a powerful tool and manipulation of the press ( no internet then) so he could say what he wanted and tell the German people how poorly they were being treated post WW1 and he promised them a brighter future, blamed Jews Gipsys etc for their woes and created a climate of hatred and intolerance for non Germans. So it was an easy route to power if he promises a golden future. The people followed him largely without question and those who voiced opposition were.... Well... You know.
People informed on friends n neighbours and let the state take over.
Very clever strategy.

Hi... I wonder that at times but i think fear was a powerful tool and manipulation of the press ( no internet then) so he could say what he wanted and tell the German people how poorly they were being treated post WW1 and he promised them a brighter future, blamed Jews Gipsys etc for their woes and created a climate of hatred and intolerance for non Germans. So it was an easy route to power if he promises a golden future. The people followed him largely without question and those who voiced opposition were.... Well... You know.
Very clever strategy.

Informing on your neighbours? Would never be encouraged or happen here now would it!

Very clever strategy.

Very clever strategy.

Thoughtful analysis. Honestly still see very many parallels. The internet brings pros and cons. Hitler was able to exploit the lack of internet - so allowed him to put across his propaganda with no internet to help opposition share alternative views.
But on the other hand, Trump uses very similar tactics of blaming outsiders (China, Mexicans, Muslims, Democrat Lefties).
Trump’s tactic of calling all bad news as fake news is his way of using the power of the internet to overwhelm the voice of opposition.

We’re in a dreadful era where these tactics are being used in other countries too.

But whatever- my key point was that Trump has opened my eyes as to how a nation can be manipulated into civil war and ultimately to do terrible things as an aggressor. I am absolutely not saying USA is close to that - but I think I have a better feel for what went on in 1930s Germany now.