daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Surely women who transition to men take medication to stop them going through that anyway, so technically yes, only real biological women experience menopause. Surely?
You would think so wouldn't you? But in a world where the Harry Potter creator JK Rowling has not been invited to the 20 year Harry Potter reunion for saying trans women are not women, anything is up in the air.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
'they refuse to uncritically accept that the socio-political concept of gender identity should replace that of sex'

Beautifully phrased and bang on the money but what is so sad is that these people cannot bear someone else to hold a different opinion and simultaneously view any disagreement with their own opinion as a personal attack.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Hope you're mad with the post and not the poster. If not then I'll explain, It was a quote from your twitter thread from JK Rowling. She's right, people are being vilified for daring to disagree with the 21stC viewpoint that gender identity (including assumed identity) trumps the sex of an individual. In spite of all the conflicts, contradictions and infringements of other people's rights that this will bring.

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
I'd argue if I chopped off my penis and later regretted that decision I'd be likely to suffer from all of the above with the added negative of not having my penis.

Doesn`t happen that way.

I think what needs to be done is make a VERY clear distinction here between `Identifying as another sex` and `Having Gender Dysphoria and identifying as another sex`.

In order to advise my mate, I spent a great deal of time not only reading the information provided by health providers, but joining Transgender groups, the Reddit threads, support groups, etc.

And what happens is that very few who do go through with the op regret it..though it does happen. Alternatively, those who back out rarely regret that either..it`s like they got something out of their system.

(By the way, my use of the word `cure` above was not ideal....it would have been better if I`d said `healed`.)

I won`t labour the point, though... it`s not a subject I`m emotionally attached to, and indeed has taken up more of my time over the last four years or so than I`d like. I also accept that this thread isn`t entirely serious...more like, really, a bunch of guys sniggering about `Lady-Boys`.

But I am reminded about the first thing I learned myself about the subject...that very few people, myself included at that time, really have a clue how serious a genuine condition Gender Dysphoria is, or how different it is from a `passing phase`.

OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Hope you're mad with the post and not the poster. If not then I'll explain, It was a quote from your twitter thread from JK Rowling. She's right, people are being vilified for daring to disagree with the 21stC viewpoint that gender identity (including assumed identity) trumps the sex of an individual. In spite of all the conflicts, contradictions and infringements of other people's rights that this will bring.
I’m angry at the bellends mentioned, not you or your post.

OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Doesn`t happen that way.

I think what needs to be done is make a VERY clear distinction here between `Identifying as another sex` and `Having Gender Dysphoria and identifying as another sex`.

In order to advise my mate, I spent a great deal of time not only reading the information provided by health providers, but joining Transgender groups, the Reddit threads, support groups, etc.

And what happens is that very few who do go through with the op regret it..though it does happen. Alternatively, those who back out rarely regret that either..it`s like they got something out of their system.

(By the way, my use of the word `cure` above was not ideal....it would have been better if I`d said `healed`.)

I won`t labour the point, though... it`s not a subject I`m emotionally attached to, and indeed has taken up more of my time over the last four years or so than I`d like. I also accept that this thread isn`t entirely serious...more like, really, a bunch of guys sniggering about `Lady-Boys`.

But I am reminded about the first thing I learned myself about the subject...that very few people, myself included at that time, really have a clue how serious a genuine condition Gender Dysphoria is, or how different it is from a `passing phase`.
I am not against trans people at all, live and let live, it doesn’t affect me.
Until I’m asked or forced to accept their opinions, feelings and the massacre of science and the English language. Then it affects me and the fuckwits like those Mersey spoke about need knocking down a peg or two.

stf4ever

Forum Patron
Patron
Doesn`t happen that way.

There haven't been enough long term studies to prove that. There are at least plenty of anecdotal anomalies to that rule.

But the percentage of those who regret GAS are significantly higher than those who identify as having gender dysphoria in society.

I could equally dismiss that as a 'doesn't happen' scenario. But, as I agree with your post on the whole, I won't be that flippant.

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
There haven't been enough long term studies to prove that. There are at least plenty of anecdotal anomalies to that rule.

But the percentage of those who regret GAS are significantly higher than those who identify as having gender dysphoria in society.

I could equally dismiss that as a 'doesn't happen' scenario. But, as I agree with your post on the whole, I won't be that flippant.

One thing that IS important ( pretty sure I`ve made this point already and it`s how we ended up talking about this) is that it`s vital to let people know they CAN back out at the last moment, and everything is okay. The danger is that some people who are not supported in this way ( especially as they usually have mental health issues such as depression, as a result of the dysphoria) feel others around them EXPECT them to go through with it, or that they HAVE to see it through or they`ve let themselves and others down.

That space must be made available from that persons `Support Group`, or they have let her down, and the chances of another anomaly have increased.

Doesn`t happen that way.

Just so you know, Reddit famously purged all gender critical threads and subs in recent years because their moderation team was full of trans activists. Included in the purge were many threads and posts about detransitioning as well as women only subs that excluded men for example lesbian subs. Heres a small twitter thread about it.

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
Just so you know, Reddit famously purged all gender critical threads and subs in recent years because their moderation team was full of trans activists. Included in the purge were many threads and posts about detransitioning as well as women only subs that excluded men for example lesbian subs. Heres a small twitter thread about it.

Something about militaristic lesbians getting banned on Reddit for hating Trans women?

Have absolutely no idea why you`ve posted this, or why on earth you think I`d be interested.

No offence to you guys, whatever your gender today, yesterday, or tomorrow, but I`m just not `into` this stuff.

Something about militaristic lesbians getting banned on Reddit for hating Trans women?

Have absolutely no idea why you`ve posted this, or why on earth you think I`d be interested.

No offence to you guys, whatever your gender today, yesterday, or tomorrow, but I`m just not `into` this stuff.

No, nothing to do with 'militaristic lesbians' getting banned on Reddit for hating trans women.

You posted a lengthy post which went along the lines of you did research to help a friend which is obviously great and part of this was joining subs on Reddit and this led to the conclusion that detransitioning is not a thing and you posted this in reply to someone else's post about detransitioning. Actually you were half right there - detransitioning is not a massive thing for Male to Female trans women because the majority of MTF trans women still have their penis and testicles ie they never medically transition in the first place so detransition for them is simply not presenting as a female and therefore not a massive problem that needs support for most.

Where detransitioning is more common and more problematic is female to male after breast removal and or testosterone treatment which leaves them with permanent facial hair growth and here's where the issue with Reddit comes in and why I posted what I did because many people, like you did, turn to Reddit for advice and information expecting a good range of input from a variety of users when actually in this case and with many others that are deemed gender critical, you were probably seeing a very moderated and one sided version of reality.

In short, Reddit has been in the dock both figuratively and literally because their moderation team was taken over by trans activists who went on a purge of gender critical subs and thousands of posts that were deemed to be anti trans. Amongst those who they banned were detransitioning subs - mainly subs used by ex FTM trans men who were women again and wanted support.

The thread in question explains exactly what happened to one of the detransition subs. Maybe I posted it at the wrong point in the thread and this wasn't clear. Here it is from the top and the author herself is a former trans man who detransitioned. Anyway good luck to you - the post wasn't meant to offend.

OP
Snicky

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
This was published last year but this is why JK Rowling gets abuse. Having read it I found it astounding that anyone can think JK Rowling is anything other than a decent human being.