The “Trans” debate

Bardas

Forum Patron
Patron
No, nothing to do with 'militaristic lesbians' getting banned on Reddit for hating trans women.

You posted a lengthy post which went along the lines of you did research to help a friend which is obviously great and part of this was joining subs on Reddit and this led to the conclusion that detransitioning is not a thing and you posted this in reply to someone else's post about detransitioning. Actually you were half right there - detransitioning is not a massive thing for Male to Female trans women because the majority of MTF trans women still have their penis and testicles ie they never medically transition in the first place so detransition for them is simply not presenting as a female and therefore not a massive problem that needs support for most.

Where detransitioning is more common and more problematic is female to male after breast removal and or testosterone treatment which leaves them with permanent facial hair growth and here's where the issue with Reddit comes in and why I posted what I did because many people, like you did, turn to Reddit for advice and information expecting a good range of input from a variety of users when actually in this case and with many others that are deemed gender critical, you were probably seeing a very moderated and one sided version of reality.

In short, Reddit has been in the dock both figuratively and literally because their moderation team was taken over by trans activists who went on a purge of gender critical subs and thousands of posts that were deemed to be anti trans. Amongst those who they banned were detransitioning subs - mainly subs used by ex FTM trans men who were women again and wanted support.

The thread in question explains exactly what happened to one of the detransition subs. Maybe I posted it at the wrong point in the thread and this wasn't clear. Here it is from the top and the author herself is a former trans man who detransitioned. Anyway good luck to you - the post wasn't meant to offend.

Great, but I was responding directly to a post about a transwoman having her penis removed, in regard to a mate of mine having her penis removed, and as such sought advice from others in that position, so the whole arguments about female to male transitioning are somewhat lost on me, and I don`t really have any interest, knowledge, or opinion on that subject.

Except that people in this position need a great deal more support, especially psychological, in order to make the right decisions, and it`s not only sadly lacking, but during Covid things have gone from awful to practically non-existant, and a great deal of the debate is extremely unhelpful.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
This section of text from JK Rowling…

‘Parents online were describing a very unusual pattern of transgender-identification where multiple friends and even entire friend groups became transgender-identified at the same time. I would have been remiss had I not considered social contagion and peer influences as potential factors.’

Littman mentioned Tumblr, Reddit, Instagram and YouTube as contributing factors to Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria, where she believes that in the realm of transgender identification ‘youth have created particularly insular echo chambers.’

Others might not like to hear it but this is being observed in educational settings. A well respected, experienced and qualified colleague, working in pupil wellbeing and pastoral care; recently told me that ‘it’s the latest trend and it takes time and resources away from those with genuine need!’

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Yet we’ve 500 odd comments on here from people who “don’t encounter it” day to day

I think if you have school/university age kids you are likely to be more exposed as per Merseys point earlier. Likewise if you work in larger organisations the chances are you would be more likely to have exposure also I would suggest.

Having worked with at least 3 who went through transition(or are currently in the process) I think that’s an exceptionally high amount and unlikely for the average person would encounter(but by the same token that was over 10 year period so maybe it isn’t that high).

One of my kids has two in his year currently and that is even moreso exceptionally high and again probably links into what Mersey said about school cohorts and “group think” rather than full transitions underway

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Yet we’ve 500 odd comments on here from people who “don’t encounter it” day to day

I think if you have school/university age kids you are likely to be more exposed as per Merseys point earlier. Likewise if you work in larger organisations the chances are you would be more likely to have exposure also I would suggest.

Having worked with at least 3 who went through transition(or are currently in the process) I think that’s an exceptionally high amount and unlikely for the average person would encounter(but by the same token that was over 10 year period so maybe it isn’t that high).

One of my kids has two in his year currently and that is even moreso exceptionally high and again probably links into what Mersey said about school cohorts and “group think” rather than full transitions underway
Plus, if you are part of, or know the LGBT community, then you encounter it a lot. It is proving to be divisive, although that may also be a generational thing.

It seems to cover a very broad spectrum - from people with gender dysphoria at one end, which is a very difficult condition, as Bardas said, to people at the other end for who it is a type of cosplay. And lots of folk somewhere in-between.

pnesaint

Manager
I'm sorry but all this transgender stuff amongst the young is by and large nonsense. Yes there are one or two genuine cases but that is per million not per school. The more people pander and kow-tow to these kids the more they will claim they are whatever they want to be. They are being influenced and subverted by dangerous individuals who are pushing their own agenda - proselytising if you will.

The above will get me vilified and cancelled no doubt, but it is still true. Notice how you only get this sort of stuff in 'liberal' democracies and not in places like Africa or South America where they have real problems to deal with. Furthermore, notice how it is a recent phenomenon almost certainly spread by social media which influences the young and the gullible rather than older people.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Plus, if you are part of, or know the LGBT community, then you encounter it a lot. It is proving to be divisive, although that may also be a generational thing.

It seems to cover a very broad spectrum - from people with gender dysphoria at one end, which is a very difficult condition, as Bardas said, to people at the other end for who it is a type of cosplay. And lots of folk somewhere in-between.
Being involved in womens footy I know a whole raft of, especially women, who are gay, a lot of the support is too. I hear no conversations about the transgender issue.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
“Places like Africa and South America”

always know you’re in good company when people start generalising a few billion people over a few million square miles

”You know….*waves arms*……them lot”

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Being involved in womens footy I know a whole raft of, especially women, who are gay, a lot of the support is too. I hear no conversations about the transgender issue.
Whereas I do hear it a lot among my LGBT friends and acquaintances - is that generational, a quirk of social groups and small sample sets, or some other reason?

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
See, I sort of agree but there's a few around Preston who are easily in their 50s.

the 3 I’ve known and worked with were a 57 year old single Dad of two, a mid-40s Dad of 2 who had spent years going through the adoption process with his wife and are still together, no idea what impact this has on the adoption or any repercussions. Only one of them was in their 20s. i think there is an argument that younger people are considering it more but it isn’t a “youth” thing in my experience and more about changing tolerances to those people being open about it[Bardas probably has a case similar to the 57 year old I knew that it was gender dysphoria diagnosed after quite some years)

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I would imagine that they grew up in an era when you were one of straight/gay/bi. You went through that potentially difficult time, found out where you fitted through life experience and then just got on with it. Only a very few wondered about their gender identity.

Now they must be so bloody confused.

pnesaint

Manager
Spanner in the works of pnesaint moving to South America to get away from all this nonsense. South Africa looks a bad choice too

View attachment 5289

An 'online' survey discovers what it wants to discover, I wouldn't put to much store by it if I were you. Plus it was done by left of centre agencies, another red flag.

My original premise still holds true, i.e., young, immature, gullible people are being manipulated.

Anyhow if all these people want to mutilate themselves, then go ahead but make sure they pay for it themselves. I'm sure these operations and drugs can't be cheap.