PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The campaign starts here for re-entry to the EU

Which regulations had we great influence over to our benefit? How did that benefit compare to our cost, and not just financially.

For pitys sake. We were a member. We were the primary authors of the competition directives that allow access to all EU nations' public contracts. We had great influence over law making through the various institutions that we populated. The CoM, Parliament, Commission membership and chairing of Committees. Operating much like the machinery our own govt but obviously without unilateral veto rights but with great influence. I repeat. If the regulations were so bad, why have we accepted them as a baseline. Answer - because they must have been a reasonable regulation set in return for the benefits. Now we start with the same regulation baseline but with much less economic benefit. It does however allow my local MP to now to set up a deal with Sri Lanka.

Christ already? Can’t we get Covid sorted and then just have a little break before this shit starts again.

Frankly if Brexit is going to be such an unmitigated shit-show, then why the need to campaign? Surely just sit back a few years, let things start going badly and then start a campaign with the leverage of an electorate who is vehemently pro re-entry after becoming practically aware of the perils of Brexit.

To start right now just seems petty.

Christ already? Can’t we get Covid sorted and then just have a little break before this shit starts again.

Frankly if Brexit is going to be such an unmitigated shit-show, then why the need to campaign? Surely just sit back a few years, let things start going badly and then start a campaign with the leverage of an electorate who is vehemently pro re-entry after becoming practically aware of the perils of Brexit.

To start right now just seems petty.

The new deal has an architecture of committees, sub-committees and working groups. If you really think the ERG and the DM arent going to spend the next 5 years complaining the EU is still robbing us, youre completely deluded. Personally I dont give a shit but Ill counter continued suggestions that we've been held hostage by the EU for 30 years as if we were imprisoned rather than a voting member, when its plain bollocks clear as day.

Last edited:
For pitys sake. We were a member. We were the primary authors of the competition directives that allow access to all EU nations' public contracts. We had great influence over law making through the various institutions that we populated. The CoM, Parliament, Commission membership and chairing of Committees. Operating much like the machinery our own govt but obviously without unilateral veto rights but with great influence. I repeat. If the regulations were so bad, why have we accepted them as a baseline. Answer - because they must have been a reasonable regulation set in return for the benefits. Now we start with the same regulation baseline but with much less economic benefit. It does however allow my local MP to now to set up a deal with Sri Lanka.
Complete and utter bollocks. We paid billions for them ‘benefits’ now your saying we are using the same baseline without the billions. There is no need for a European committee other than for trade. Political control should never have come into it.

In their own words it was empire building. Did you applaud the British Empire? Do you think it was a great part of our history and should still be in place? Yes I know the eu didn’t take by force, they took with the swipe of a pen. If you think an empire is a great force then good for you, I’d rather promote independence for all.

Complete and utter bollocks. We paid billions for them ‘benefits’ now your saying we are using the same baseline without the billions. There is no need for a European committee other than for trade. Political control should never have come into it.

In their own words it was empire building. Did you applaud the British Empire? Do you think it was a great part of our history and should still be in place? Yes I know the eu didn’t take by force, they took with the swipe of a pen. If you think an empire is a great force then good for you, I’d rather promote independence for all.
The empire does have a few past issues but there’s no denying that without it they Wouldn’t have made carry on up the khyber which is an absolute classic

wow.

I’ve taken the victory. I know it is a legitimate policy and that it won a majority in the country. Once we’ve completed various trade deals and settled into the new arrangements in partnership with the EU, we won’t be members again in our lifetimes.

I’ll remind you that while you’re taking the victory, which is understandable, you also implied that the 2019 GE resoundingly confirmed it - which is re-writing history - which I don’t think is usually your style - so I guess you just forgot that exactly the opposite was the case!

And the majority of the population has been against Brexit consistently throughout the last tumultuous 7 years for all except a few weeks during 2016. And yet here we are. Move on. But rubbing it in by rewriting the truth about the way it was won - that will keep the wound open.

I’ll remind you that while you’re taking the victory, which is understandable, you also implied that the 2019 GE resoundingly confirmed it - which is re-writing history - which I don’t think is usually your style - so I guess you just forgot that exactly the opposite was the case!

And the majority of the population has been against Brexit consistently throughout the last tumultuous 7 years for all except a few weeks during 2016. And yet here we are. Move on. But rubbing it in by rewriting the truth about the way it was won - that will keep the wound open.
Everyone had a chance to vote. The result was leave. It is yourself that appears to be rewriting history by not accepting the truth.

I think you missed the point. The new deal is in the basis broadly of the current EU regulation set (that we co-authored and authorised however you imagine the EU operates - we were part of it and member). And enshrined in UK law. You rail about laws ''imposed' on us, and yet those very same laws are apparently a good enough baseline for the new deal. So in fact, there are no laws that the govt finds so offensive that it sought to immediately diverge from and change in Uk law on day one. Didnt even seek to unbend one banana.

I think you missed the point. The new deal is in the basis broadly of the current EU regulation set (that we co-authored and authorised however you imagine the EU operates - we were part of it and member). And enshrined in UK law. You rail about laws ''imposed' on us, and yet those very same laws are apparently a good enough baseline for the new deal. So in fact, there are no laws that the govt finds so offensive that it sought to immediately diverge from and change in Uk law on day one. Didnt even seek to unbend one banana.
I think you misunderstood, I have no doubt that the rich politicians here signed up in good faith to many an agreement. That does not mean that that they had the majorities concerns at heart. They’re in it together, always have been. The eu is Tory+, lining the pockets of the Uber Richard the detriment of the working class. They agreed laws to keep the cash at the top. Anyway we don’t pay the membership but keep the same laws........so why did we pay the billions?

Everyone had a chance to vote. The result was leave. It is yourself that appears to be rewriting history by not accepting the truth.
er, bollocks. I completely acknowledged that, on 23 June 2016, Leave got more votes. I acknowledged we should now try to make the best of it.

What I won’t accept is allowing happy clapper Brexiters to change the narrative, somehow making out that the narrow 2016 referendum victory for Leave was followed by a 2019 General Election with a landslide for Brexit, when in fact the majority in that election wanted either Remain or a 2nd Referendum.

I think you misunderstood, I have no doubt that the rich politicians here signed up in good faith to many an agreement. That does not mean that that they had the majorities concerns at heart. They’re in it together, always have been. The eu is Tory+, lining the pockets of the Uber Richard the detriment of the working class. They agreed laws to keep the cash at the top. Anyway we don’t pay the membership but keep the same laws........so why did we pay the billions?

Thats a now tired debate about the quantum of return on investment including the value of being in the single market. Anyway, I prefer concentrating on the real enemy and anti-democrats, the tories, and their mission the split up the UK for political gain and create a tax haven for the rich in the SE. Untying us from future EU financial and tax regulation was a mere stepping stone as part of their strategy.

Thats a now tired debate about the quantum of return on investment including the value of being in the single market. Anyway, I prefer concentrating on the real enemy and anti-democrats, the tories, and their mission the split up the UK for political gain and create a tax haven for the rich in the SE. Untying us from future EU financial and tax regulation was a mere stepping stone as part of their strategy.

Correct with the first point. Nobber and others always rattled on about some billions of cost and refused point blank to see the obvious massive benefit of being in the Single Market.
But your second point is really the number one show in town now.

OK
Watched this finally. Is it art for art’s sake or camouflage?
You’re thinking of 10cc I think. But yeah - it’s a great piece of street art/theatre. The video editor has made it a bit cheesy with some of the crowd shots but maybe that was the right way to do it when flash mobs first came on the scene.

That Charles DeGaulle knew a thing or two about us. Read your history.

That seems like you are suggesting the first gun is at the ready for a few years time? Yet you still seem to want to rejoin such an organisation?

Looks like we’ve got a target to increase the production of our own energy by 7% over the next five and a half years to neutralise that threat.
A common tendancy with Brexits, so many of you live in the past!

The future is, and has been since WWI, for countries in Europe to work with each other. The recent rise of jingoistic nationalism will be seen in the future as a flash in the pan.