The Flare

Danger Bus

Reserve
Being stood very close to the guy who held it aloft, then legged it up the stand from around row 11, I can confirm:
1 - It was YELLOW, not green
2 - I coughed a bit as I breathed in plenty of the smoke, but I'm ok.
3 - Half a dozen or so innocent fans pleaded their (correct) innocence, and thankfully weren't punished for someone else's actions
4 - In my own experience, tear gas is worse than a small smoke bomb (I've been to the Rome derby)
5 - The perpetrator was kicked out around 10-15 minutes after his actions, as CCTV footage was reviewed a couple of times to clear the innocent people

I think they look good on tv etc, but clearly aren't safe should they land on someone. This guy was low enough down to throw it on to the pitch, ironically not far from our own players. I certainly don't have the urge to use one.

Last edited:
What the hell is a 29 year old man doing taking a flare to a football match ? Maybe the fact he is from Brig explains it!:)... I was expecting it to be some teen spotty herbert, which would have perhaps been understandable. I sit firmly on the "no flares at football" bench. Partly because of the safety aspect, but mainly because it makes us look like a bunch of small time knobs.. Please decease!

Nutty

First Team
What the hell is a 29 year old man doing taking a flare to a football match ? Maybe the fact he is from Brig explains it!:)... I was expecting it to be some teen spotty herbert, which would have perhaps been understandable. I sit firmly on the "no flares at football" bench. Partly because of the safety aspect, but mainly because it makes us look like a bunch of small time knobs.. Please decease!
It looks shit when we set off 1 little yellow one. If they're going to do it at least set off about 50 and cause carnage.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron

Ah but someone fired it from the back of the stand, it just happened to land at his feet so he set it off and then jumped around with it for a few seconds, it must have been hot, before safely throwing it towards the pitch were there wasn't another person, or indeed 8 of our team celebrating a goal.

Traci Foxx

Youth Team
Asthmatics for a start I'd expect... What a stupid statement

I am not sure if you saw the England v Wales rugby game. Smoke flares, exploding fireworks all within the confines of a sports stadium. You could barely see the players in the tunnel. All done officially and subject to a risk assessment.

I have seen similar pyrotechnics at football games. I can only think that the reason why identical pyrotechnics are prohibited for fans but allowed within the stadium, is that the powers that be are uncomfortable with random individuals being in control of these devices, rather than an asthma risk.

What are your views?

I am not sure if you saw the England v Wales rugby game. Smoke flares, exploding fireworks all within the confines of a sports stadium. You could barely see the players in the tunnel. All done officially and subject to a risk assessment.

I have seen similar pyrotechnics at football games. I can only think that the reason why identical pyrotechnics are prohibited for fans but allowed within the stadium, is that the powers that be are uncomfortable with random individuals being in control of these devices, rather than an asthma risk.

What are your views?

Yeah... You're probably right Traci... The asthma risk is probably mininmal? ..Who cares? It still doesnt detract from my firm belief that pyrotechnincs of any sort have no place at Deepdale because it makes us look like Tinpot Bellends

simo

Advisor to the Owner
I still can't get my head around why people don't get that having something that burns and can be chucked about in a place where theres a crowd of people might present a bit of a safety risk.

Werzo

First Team

Did you mean cease and desist at the end of your post or are you actually telling him to die?

Traci Foxx

Youth Team
Yeah... You're probably right Traci... The asthma risk is probably mininmal? ..Who cares? It still doesnt detract from my firm belief that pyrotechnincs of any sort have no place at Deepdale because it makes us look like Tinpot Bellends

There is an asthma risk. It's just quite small and conveniently ignored. I know this as an asthmatic, albeit I haven't found my asthma triggered by the smoke and I have been pretty close to them on a couple of occasions, including Tuesday when I got a lung full. I dare say it might have been different had I been on the Burnley train when one was set off.

Personally I am ambivalent about the flares. I don't like the asthma risk. I don't like the fools that set them off, but I think they add to the atmosphere and that's a big part of the match day experience for me, particularly the away day experience.