PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The group/individual that's produced the most consistently great tunes.

MrHodgeheg123

Lowe In
Patron
OK.
It's a tough one this and it's not necessarily the genre of music you are personally in to.
I have a really wide taste when it comes to music.
I love Punk, I listen to AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Depeche mode, The Specials, ELO, The Beatles The Seekers, some classical, Prince, The Charlatans, Stone Roses etc. etc etc.
BUT for me, the most consistent has to be ABBA.
😲.
One of my all time favourites...
Lay all your love on me. A mostly forgotten gem of a song.
Who is yours?

Gosh. Hell of a question there hodgey.

I think almost all great artists or groups produce something that is forgettable despite having immense back catalogues but also you can get short live bands who produce a consistent set of releases

springing to me personally of stuff I would listen to again and again Fleetwood Mac, Paul Weller, Bob Mould, Gary Newby (The Railway Children), Public Enemy from yesteryear for me, Chvrches in recent years maybe, New Order maybe, A-Ha have a great catalogue too

but probably Ian Prowse for me. Still relatively unknown to many but 30 years of stuff that is still massively poignant and continues to put out relevant stuff with each album or incarnation . Was on Radio 4 a couple of weeks back discussing his use of lockdown to pay his way through online performances

ABBA were active for about ten years and were great, truly great, within that period. But it was ten years.

Jake, you are absolutely right to reference A-ha who are one of the most underrated bands of all time, along with the Frank and Walters, and they’ve been going 35 and 30 years respectively. Scary.

I can’t look beyond Morrissey, of course.

ABBA were active for about ten years and were great, truly great, within that period. But it was ten years.

Jake, you are absolutely right to reference A-ha who are one of the most underrated bands of all time, along with the Frank and Walters, and they’ve been going 35 and 30 years respectively. Scary.

I can’t look beyond Morrissey, of course.
There's overrated then there's overrated.

Women in love. Barbara Streisand. Superb!
Great song

Barry Gibb did a duet with her as well, Guilty I think it’s called, that’s another good song.

I’m like you pal, if Iike a song, I like it.

Doesn’t matter what genre it is from

I might be on my own here but I think Barbara Streisand was pretty fit in her younger years.

Great song

Barry Gibb did a duet with her as well, Guilty I think it’s called, that’s another good song.

I’m like you pal, if Iike a song, I like it.

Doesn’t matter what genre it is from

I might be on my own here but I think Barbara Streisand was pretty fit in her younger years.
She wasn't fit, she was fuckin gorgeous.

The biggest and best group of all time imo.
I can't think of one of their tracks I couldn't listen to again and again.
Such a talented group of individuals and FM the best front man ever.
Yeah you’re right

For me there aren’t many groups, singers where I like The majority of their stuff.

Oasis
Stone Roses
UB40
Queen
Beatles

All up there for me

Bad Day is indeed a great song. Stayed in the same hotel as REM for a gig in Ljubljana. Mike Mills had muesli for breakfast.

Did UB40 actually write anything other than Rat in mi Kitchen?

Bad Day is indeed a great song. Stayed in the same hotel as REM for a gig in Ljubljana. Mike Mills had muesli for breakfast.

Did UB40 actually write anything other than Rat in mi Kitchen?
Nice one👌🏻👌🏻

Just had to google it.

They wrote King, Don’t break my heart, 1 in 10, food for thought and Rat in mi kitchen as well as a couple of others that I wasn’t keen on.

Id just wrote groups where I liked most of their songs but I suppose UB40 can’t really claim them as theirs.
😁

Great question - but better if we stick to the theme of consistency - because fave song/ fave band is done often. Hard to see past ABBA - not least because of the variety within.

For me, Queen were great, and I bought their early albums- but they had quite a few “filler” tracks. Elton John is worse. - a handful of cracking song - but plenty of dross and some that turn my stomach!