The Labour Party are cockwombles .....

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
While I remain suspicious of Mr Starmer, that interview is not at all convincing. She plays hard on the idea that he was strongly remain but not at all now.

What did she expect? That he would be campaigning to rejoin the EU?
He was the driving force behind the PV policy so it is strange that he won't touch the subject of brexit with a bargepole now. There's also nothing wrong with being ambitious but he's a two faced snidy git and he's dishonest about it. Anyway they've got that ghoul Mandelson on it to balance it out and blow smoke up Keiths arse and slag off Corbyn so it won't all be one sided.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I saw the interesting full report on Newsnight. I still cannot see why a decision to accept that the GE ended any thoughts of a People’s Vote or similar is seen as sinister, underhand or negative. To me it feels like a manufactured reason for attack.

Based on the Newsnight edit, it also seemed that Diane played the race card without good reason. Furthermore, Len McCluskey, the dear leader of my union, also commented on Peter Mandelson - a man with known Jewish heritage - that he should just go away somewhere and “count his gold” - which didn’t sound good, and has since had him rapidly putting out some denials!

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
Mandelson is not Jewish, he was raised a Christian and his father by his own admission was an atheist, it's bullshit and a perfect example of just how antisemetism is and has been weaponised over the past 5+ yrs. Mandelson is a greedy capitalist that has always found a way to cash in, that is what the comment was about nothing else.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
You have matched the defence that UNITE put up - quite plausibly because it is completely fair.

On the other hand, I think some of our right-leaning friends might suggest that McCluskey is hoisted on the petard of the PC Left😁

I can never know but honestly, if Matt Hancock had made a “go away and count your gold” comment about a left-wing figure with Jewish heritage??? I wonder. In the same way, I wonder what the left wing reaction to Starmer’s current Brexit strategy of “moving on” would be if he wasn’t a hate figure. I suspect very different.

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
You have matched the defence that UNITE put up - quite plausibly because it is completely fair.

On the other hand, I think some of our right-leaning friends might suggest that McCluskey is hoisted on the petard of the PC Left😁

I can never know but honestly, if Matt Hancock had made a “go away and count your gold” comment about a left-wing figure with Jewish heritage??? I wonder. In the same way, I wonder what the left wing reaction to Starmer’s current Brexit strategy of “moving on” would be if he wasn’t a hate figure. I suspect very different.
I heard the gold comment and interpreted it as go away and count your pieces of gold. ie Judas.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I heard the gold comment and interpreted it as go away and count your pieces of gold. ie Judas.
I thought you might ;)

Mandelson is an idiot. Len has got a big gob on him. I dont think it was an anti semitic trope, but it was a moronic thing to say, which is typical of Len. All mouth and synaptically challenged
It’s a bit of an odd choice of phrase though. People tend to talk about counting your silver. Counting your money, your millions.

There are a few others that would sound natural- but somehow, to my ears, count your gold does not have a ring to it - other than that trope. Does it really sound natural to you?
Quite sure it would be totally inadvertent - but I wouldn’t rule it out.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
I thought you might ;)

It’s a bit of an odd choice of phrase though. People tend to talk about counting your silver. Counting your money, your millions.

There are a few others that would sound natural- but somehow, to my ears, count your gold does not have a ring to it - other than that trope. Does it really sound natural to you?
Quite sure it would be totally inadvertent - but I wouldn’t rule it out.
I think Len is a nasty old scrote, but I don't think anti-semitism is his bag. It was a weird phrase to use but it fits in with his usual ability to mangle the language

Snicky

🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷 🇦🇹🇦🇹🇦🇹
Patron
Only an early term poll, means not much but after 9 months of shit show, looming brexit disaster.......
LOLZ 😂😂 but how?

Meanwhile in Labour Wales they have covered up non essential electrical goods in supermarkets. What constitutes essential in the electrical goods dept, microwave, kettle, toaster, hairdryer, iron, TV ? You tell me.
Whatever the intention which seems to be more akin to communism than anything else you can bet your life that Amazon are rubbing their hands in glee.

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
Only an early term poll, means not much but after 9 months of shit show, looming brexit disaster.......
LOLZ 😂😂 but how?
My name is keir
I am a Knight,
I live to please
the labour right.
I look like ham,
My face is red
I should be twenty
points ahead.

*pinched off twitter*

Strongbow

Forum Patron
Patron
Mandelson is not Jewish, he was raised a Christian and his father by his own admission was an atheist, it's bullshit and a perfect example of just how antisemetism is and has been weaponised over the past 5+ yrs. Mandelson is a greedy capitalist that has always found a way to cash in, that is what the comment was about nothing else.

Mandelson's grandparents were Jewish on his dad's side but as you say he didn't really do religion so perhaps good old money bags Len got a bit confused.

Seem to recollect that he was not a big fan of Corbyn, not seeing him as 'leadership material' so on that front I must agree ;)