The Labour Party are cockwombles .....

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron

Dough

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Never felt comfortable that there can be a “left wing” union. I know union members vote for their leadership- but almost by definition, a union should be no more than left of centre if it truly represents its members. Anywhere far from the centre suggests that a successful power grab has taken place.

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
Never felt comfortable that there can be a “left wing” union. I know union members vote for their leadership- but almost by definition, a union should be no more than left of centre if it truly represents its members. Anywhere far from the centre suggests that a successful power grab has taken place.
The Labour Party wasn't founded on the back of centrist unions Reg, I know your not a daft bloke but your post is really quite silly and I don't have the energy to get into why right now. We'll leave it for another time 👍

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
The Labour Party wasn't founded on the back of centrist unions Reg, I know your not a daft bloke but your post is really quite silly and I don't have the energy to get into why right now. We'll leave it for another time 👍

I'll forgive you if you're knackered on a Friday night... but even if you don't agree with my post, it's not fair to call it "quite silly". I think you're just looking at it from a different angle!

I understand the sentiment of course. But unions were founded a century ago - and undoubtedly had left wing roots in opposition to the oppressive bosses of the time. But I very clearly (and carefully) was talking about unions, not the Labour Party - and equally carefully talked about how truly representative of their (current) membership they are.

Union members today, I would contend, are on average Centre-Left. If anything, the centre of gravity might be more Centre or even Centre-Right based on how people voted at the last General Election!

So whilst you might like to see unions to be as left wing as yourself - and think that there are good historical or social reasons for that to be the case, I don't think it makes them representative of their membership. Len McCluskey has been my union leader for about a decade... and although I sense he's mellowing in his old age, he's had us a very left-wing union... further left than the big majority of the membership IMO.

Winkytinky

GTTO
Patron
I'll forgive you if you're knackered on a Friday night... but even if you don't agree with my post, it's not fair to call it "quite silly". I think you're just looking at it from a different angle!

I understand the sentiment of course. But unions were founded a century ago - and undoubtedly had left wing roots in opposition to the oppressive bosses of the time. But I very clearly (and carefully) was talking about unions, not the Labour Party - and equally carefully talked about how truly representative of their (current) membership they are.

Union members today, I would contend, are on average Centre-Left. If anything, the centre of gravity might be more Centre or even Centre-Right based on how people voted at the last General Election!

So whilst you might like to see unions to be as left wing as yourself - and think that there are good historical or social reasons for that to be the case, I don't think it makes them representative of their membership. Len McCluskey has been my union leader for about a decade... and although I sense he's mellowing in his old age, he's had us a very left-wing union... further left than the big majority of the membership IMO.
I said I wasn't going to get into this tonight and I'm not but your posts are fist bitingly verbose and extremely annoying.

I will just make this one point, if you don't like the union you are in and their position you have the absolute choice to tell them your subs cannot be used to support a political party or you can choose not to be part of that union at all.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I said I wasn't going to get into this tonight and I'm not but your posts are fist bitingly verbose and extremely annoying.

I will just make this one point, if you don't like the union you are in and their position you have the absolute choice to tell them your subs cannot be used to support a political party or you can choose not to be part of that union at all.
Verbose, on that occasion, trying to be polite in dealing with an unfair insult.
Your posts can be remarkably intolerant.
Thanks for the helpful advice about my option to change union.

Strongbow

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm guessing that based on the opinion of some that neither the Labour Party or Trade Unions should be recognised as a 'broad church' more a 'narrow clique' ?

I would prefer the former tbh.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
They have it in Australia I believe. Could be wrong but I'm sure voting is mandatory which is why they have the option

Making voting mandatory screams of a lack of free will Padster.. And the very least they could do under those circumstances is to give you the option of telling them to knob off. If it were the law to vote here I'd probably refuse on principle but the chance to embarrass them does hold a certain appeal I must admit :)

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
A sensible leader, with corbyn, would just plain and simply have let him retire to the the back benches where all he would have done was vote with his conscience, give the occasional speech, with his conscience, like he has done for 45 years.

Starmer has been told by his owners to destroy Corbyn, very strange but thats how it seems.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
A sensible leader, with corbyn, would just plain and simply have let him retire to the the back benches where all he would have done was vote with his conscience, give the occasional speech, with his conscience, like he has done for 45 years.

Starmer has been told by his owners to destroy Corbyn, very strange but thats how it seems.

I suspect that he'll regret it........... I certainly hope so.

PS... I agree with the first bit aswell..Only a tit would take this course.