The Labour Party are cockwombles .....

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Good to see youre following Owen Jones.

In all seriousness they cant blame the Brexit effect on this.

Labour, undoubtedly needed to change, but to literally put it back on the path of Blairism was stupidity beyond belief.

The people of the country liked Corbyns policies, it was the man that didnt resonate.
Indeed - and it isn't difficult to see that Blairism has been rejected by electorates. As I have pointed out many times before, look at pretty much every single European election over the past few years.

Centre-left parties offering Clinton/Blair's Third Way have been absolutely hammered, to the point that some no longer exist.

Is Labour's failure to see this readily available information stupidity, arrogance, being trapped in a bubble, or something else?

Start offering something new or you can't complain when people vote for other parties or start drifting to extremes.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I found myself on a Facebook thread last night that was started by a newspaper- just a picture of Johnson with the simple question “What comes to mind when you see this face”.

OK, it was a paper in the Tory heartlands - but the vast majority were saying (at worst) “he’s got a difficult job” “Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t” - either forgiving him or downright praising him for the great job he’s doing.

LostinSpace

PNE exile
Staff member
Patron
I found myself on a Facebook thread last night that was started by a newspaper- just a picture of Johnson with the simple question “What comes to mind when you see this face”.

OK, it was a paper in the Tory heartlands - but the vast majority were saying (at worst) “he’s got a difficult job” “Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t” - either forgiving him or downright praising him for the great job he’s doing.
This is the reason I'm ashamed of my country right now, or more the people in it.

That a proven liar and cheat can command a majority in parliament is a sad reflection of the electorate. If someone had told me 10 years ago that Johnson would be voted in as PM and Trump as US president, I'd have told them to stop being ridiculous.

And that's what our government is - ridiculous. That's the word I would've used in the Facebook thread.

We are in the shit...

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Good to see youre following Owen Jones.

In all seriousness they cant blame the Brexit effect on this.

Labour, undoubtedly needed to change, but to literally put it back on the path of Blairism was stupidity beyond belief.

The people of the country liked Corbyns policies, it was the man that didnt resonate.

Still don't really understand why . Only voted Labour once in my life and it was for Corbyn not them. Lost opportunity and by the look of things the new regime isn't going to improve matters one jot.. The public seemed to prefer a blagger but now they have one that doesn't suit either.. Oh well too late now and we appear to have an even weaker opposition than that of Corbyn... Whatever your politics this is not good for the Country.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
if someone had told me 10 years ago that Johnson would be voted in as PM and Trump as US president, I'd have told them to stop being ridiculous.

Not just the election success. You’d have been ten times more shocked if you’d been told of the huge levels of support that Trump and Johnson would retain after years of blatantly unacceptable and sometimes illegal behaviour.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
This is the reason I'm ashamed of my country right now, or more the people in it.

That a proven liar and cheat can command a majority in parliament is a sad reflection of the electorate. If someone had told me 10 years ago that Johnson would be voted in as PM and Trump as US president, I'd have told them to stop being ridiculous.

And that's what are government is - ridiculous. That's the word I would've used in the Facebook thread.

We are in the shit...

Not often we agree but we do in this case. He's in because of Brexit which I was happy with (I voted labour btw because it was the right thing to do) but by now I would have expected Labour to make massive gains but they are failing miserably ... Absolutely clueless.

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
Still don't really understand why . Only voted Labour once in my life and it was for Corbyn not them. Lost opportunity and by the look of things the new regime isn't going to improve matters one jot.. The public seemed to prefer a blagger but now they have one that doesn't suit either.. Oh well too late now and we appear to have an even weaker opposition than that of Corbyn... Whatever your politics this is not good for the Country.
In my opinion, Starmer could have wiped the floor with May and quite possibly could have had a far better result in 2019 with him at the helm. Don't forget the Corbyn baggage, the anti-semitism and history of being friendly with horrible people. That went a long way.

The thing with Boris is, as has been alluded to is the whole "Boris" persona and his ability to appeal to people based on that. Shallow, but it obviously works. When you have someone as grey as Starmer, dull & uninteresting, and put him up against May, then it's a closer battle.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
In my opinion, Starmer could have wiped the floor with May and quite possibly could have had a far better result in 2019 with him at the helm. Don't forget the Corbyn baggage, the anti-semitism and history of being friendly with horrible people. That went a long way.

The thing with Boris is, as has been alluded to is the whole "Boris" persona and his ability to appeal to people based on that. Shallow, but it obviously works. When you have someone as grey as Starmer, dull & uninteresting, and put him up against May, then it's a closer battle.

I know you're not a Corbyn fan which is fair enough but the fact that he was honest and upfront was what appealed to me... Mixing with evil feckers in order to try and broker peace isn't a weakness in my view but he certainly paid for it I agree. His major weakness was his lack of a ruthless streak and wouldn't / couldn't go for the throat when an opportunity arose. His lack of a lively personality and unwillingness to stand up and be counted ( with his own opinion) didn't help either. He was also tarred by the media as an ultra leftie and a traitor to his Country which was absolute bollocks..

In comparison Boris and co are a bloody disgrace. They are bent as nine bob notes and just pander to popular opinion and unfortunately ( as you say) it works every time..... Quite sad really but when the opposition is lead by the likes of Starmer then we can hardly be surprised.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I saw a minute of a Keir Starmer interview on bbc breakfast time this morning. The language he was using to describe the current Tory allegations of corruption, incompetence, negligence and callousness- it was exactly what Tory HQ would have wanted. He was using THEIR language and kind of imploring that these things do matter - in a tone that is really easy to dismiss, unless you’re already hanging on his every word.

Also saw a minute of a Liz Truss interview - where she again successfully just batted off awkward questions with the well-worn phrase that what the public really care about was getting out of the pandemic and the great job they’re doing.

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Corbyn's policies were the reason the media turned on him and turned public opinion on the man sour.

That will, unfortunately, always happen as the elite seek to protect what they have.

I didn't necessarily agree with the policies, but would always back a man of principle.
Aye, true enough, there was a lot at stake for them.

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Starmer I feel will always srtuggle to connect with voters outside of London.
What is needed for labour to win back votes in the north more easily is an Andy Burnham type figure.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
What is needed for labour to win back votes in the north more easily is an Andy Burnham type figure.
And that's the thing - people having a go at the left of the party seem to think that most of us are ideologues who won't shift our views and compromise.

That simply isn't true in the majority of cases - most of us would happily accept Burnham or someone in Ed Milliband's part of the political spectrum.

Unfortunately, Starmer has set about expelling the left of the party - and a lot of other groups, too. That is also driving away like-minded voters - they are chasing this dream of cleaning up the centre ground and attracting Tory voters.

No surprise that Peter 'the left has nowhere else to go' Mandelson is involved. Sadly, for him, he is finding that they do have other places to go - or simply stop voting.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron

Don't think that is true (IMO, of course). As soon as Starmer hitched himself to the People's Vote campaign, it was over.

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Has someone not sent her the memo that gyms have reopened?
She's taking the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and attack the labour party and the inconsistencies in the covid restrictions in one go'
Disingenuous and she knows it.
Would hate to be stuck in a lift with her.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron

Agreed. Good shout...Not just the North though as I think he'd appeal to a lot more than that

daddyman16

Manager
If Andy Burnham stood in Westminster and fought for the people, like he fought for his city at St. Peter's Square during the pandemic, I would vote for Labour.
I can't vote for Labour while Blancmange Starmer's in power.