The Labour Party are cockwombles .....

chorleythehord

Forum Patron
Patron
Khalid Mahmoud who resigned from Labours front bench got it exactly right.

He claims over the past decade, Labour has "lost touch with ordinary people" and a "London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors, has effectively captured the party".

Mr Mahmood added: "They mean well, of course, but their politics - obsessed with identity, division and even tech utopianism - have more in common with those of Californian high society than the kind of people who voted in Hartlepool yesterday."

He also claimed the loudest voices in the Labour movement over the past year in particular have focused "more on pulling down Churchill’s statue than they have on helping people pull themselves up in the world".

Mr Mahmood went on: "No wonder it is doing better among rich urban liberals and young university graduates than it is amongst the most important part of its traditional electoral coalition, the working-class."

He is right. The party that todays university students and the metropolitan class of the big cities vote for cannot be the same party that the working class of Hartlepool vote for. Their values and priorities are mutually incompatible . I logged on to the guardian website this morning and started reading the comments section. It is laughable how out of touch they are with the working class towns , they positively sneer at them and any element of patriotism.

Labour has chosen through Corbyn, now Starmer, both Islington MPs, to be the party of the former. They should not be surprised to learn that the working class towns of the North East, which the Tories are clearly prioritising, should desert them.

Listening to one or 2 of Starmers closest allies on the radio this morning, I think they have got the right idea.. An absolute prerequisite for any leader of any country I believe is to be a patriot. You will not win an election and become prime minister not being one. That is why Corbyn became so toxic on doorsteps in the last election. The problem with Starmer is he is trying to be it, but he is not convincing , he belongs in an Islington dinner party. The damage done by Brexit and Corbyn to the labour heartlands is immense and it won’t be reversed by a simple change of leader. Especially one notoriously associated with the so called peoples vote campaign.

Meanwhile I expect Sadiq Khan to romp home as London Mayor again.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
He is right. The party that todays university students and the metropolitan class of the big cities vote for cannot be the same party that the working class of Hartlepool vote for. Their values and priorities are mutually incompatible . I logged on to the guardian website this morning and started reading the comments section. It is laughable how out of touch they are with the working class towns , they positively sneer at them and any element of patriotism.

Labour has chosen through Corbyn, now Starmer, both Islington MPs, to be the party of the former. They should not be surprised to learn that the working class towns of the North East, which the Tories are clearly prioritising, should desert them.

Listening to one or 2 of Starmers closest allies on the radio this morning, I think they have got the right idea.. An absolute prerequisite for any leader of any country I believe is to be a patriot. You will not win an election and become prime minister not being one. That is why Corbyn became so toxic on doorsteps in the last election. The problem with Starmer is he is trying to be it, but he is not convincing , he belongs in an Islington dinner party. The damage done by Brexit and Corbyn to the labour heartlands is immense and it won’t be reversed by a simple change of leader. Especially one notoriously associated with the so called peoples vote campaign.

Meanwhile I expect Sadiq Khan to romp home as London Mayor again.
I don’t agree on Corbyn, I think the media had it in for him and then he shot himself in the foot by failing to nail his colours to the mast on Brexit and control his party.
The rest is pretty much spot on.

shabbagaz

Forum Patron
Patron
Labour need to quit the bullshit and ill-thought out publicity opportunities (such as the John Lewis wallpaper scene) and actually start listening to voters.

There's been several opportunities to properly challenge the government (and to an effect at a local level with Tory-controlled local and county councils) yet they have failed to do so.
For me, the fact that my Dad didn't vote despite voting Labour all his life says it all. They have completely lost touch.

They can start to rebuild/gain redemption by electing a Northern working class leader for a start - just my opinion of course.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
slept on this one and...................

He has indeed nailed it.
Most people want to get on with their lives, do the best they can for their families. They generally really don't give a shit about any of the identity stuff that's going on around them and the media are obsessed with, imo this woke bollocks is where you arrive at when there's literally fuck all else to worry about, but we're not there are we? Take Preston for example, expanding in size and population maybe at the largest rate it's ever experienced, I don't know that but seems that way, but where are the new schools, hospital, doctors, dentists? There's never a problem with sticking up a Lidl or a Starbucks drivethru or a b&m is there, so instead of telling everyone they're fucking racist or bigoted or don't get it or twats for voting to leave the European Union and going on about historical events none of us were part of or could influence let's get back to the things that matter, the shit we all need to live a healthy happy life.

For me it's literally that simple, if someone stood for making sure the infrastructure of the nation is the best it can be, and also didn't entertain this absolutely debilitating woke bollocks for another moment they'd clean up.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
If Mark Drakeford can increase the lead over the Conservatives, what’s he doing that Starmer isn’t? Again, why aren’t they looking at themselves and asking the questions? It’s not just about yesterday, it’s been going on for some time - and at least since the people’s vote disastrous shenanigans.

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
So to sum up. Labour dont listen to voters and tories lie to them then roger them sideways with great telegraph pole whilst running the country like they're a bunch of mafia bosses. I wonder how many favours Teeside council will get? Corrupt to the core. Is there really anything tl celebrate?

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
If Mark Drakeford can increase the lead over the Conservatives, what’s he doing that Starmer isn’t? Again, why aren’t they looking at themselves and asking the questions? It’s not just about yesterday, it’s been going on for some time - and at least since the people’s vote disastrous shenanigans.

I am hugely critical of Starmer - but the fact that Labour did so well in Wales also tells another story.
A leading Welsh Tory was interviewed and asked why the Tories had failed to break past Labour and he “complained” that Drakeford/Labour had the advantage of being highly visible and in control of things during the pandemic and people don’t like change at such times.
I think that reflects what we all know, that the pandemic recovery is front&centre of people’s minds - for Johnson too.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Most people want to get on with their lives, do the best they can for their families. They generally really don't give a shit about any of the identity stuff that's going on around them and the media are obsessed with, imo this woke bollocks is where you arrive at when there's literally fuck all else to worry about, but we're not there are we? Take Preston for example, expanding in size and population maybe at the largest rate it's ever experienced, I don't know that but seems that way, but where are the new schools, hospital, doctors, dentists? There's never a problem with sticking up a Lidl or a Starbucks drivethru or a b&m is there, so instead of telling everyone they're fucking racist or bigoted or don't get it or twats for voting to leave the European Union and going on about historical events none of us were part of or could influence let's get back to the things that matter, the shit we all need to live a healthy happy life.

For me it's literally that simple, if someone stood for making sure the infrastructure of the nation is the best it can be, and also didn't entertain this absolutely debilitating woke bollocks for another moment they'd clean up.

If all that happened we'd have nothing to whinge and argue about on here. :D