PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The last battle on English soil

51duHfAAeLL.jpg
Kathleen Ferrier too wasn’t she an opera singer?

Technically (wikipedia) her birthplace is listed as Higher Walton.

Probably explains why, before your post, I hadn't heard of her - I need to get out more 🙂.

Coming from Preston, along Higher Walton Rd, Shop Lane is on the left just before the river and the memorial garden is on either side. I saw it last time I was mooching around "the place that time forgot".

It's also only a hundred yards from the ancestral home of the anglo-australian crooner from the 60s, Frank Ifield. His grandfather was born and lived, until emigrating to Australia, on Cann Bridge Street where the post office now is

Last edited:

Coming from Preston, along Higher Walton Rd, Shop Lane is on the left just before the river and the memorial garden is on either side. I saw it last time I was mooching around "the place that time forgot".

It's also only a hundred yards from the ancestral home of the anglo-australian crooner from the 60s, Frank Ifield. His grandfather was born and lived, until emigrating to Australia, on Cann Bridge Street where the post office now is

I had no idea about this. I quite liked I Remember You, The Wayward Wind, She Taught Me To Yodel and Lovesick Blues🙂

I had no idea about this. I quite liked I Remember You, The Wayward Wind, She Taught Me To Yodel and Lovesick Blues🙂
It's fairly niche (and utterly pointless) knowledge! Frank's grandfather, William Calbraith Livesey, is commemorated on the war memorial in the churchyard in H Walton. He was killed in France while serving in the Australian army in April 1918.

There are quite a few famous Prestonians.
Off the top of my head, Roy Barraclough, Fiona Armstrong, Peter Purvis, John Inman, A J Hartley, Andy Flintoff and don't forget Clarke Carlisle.🤣
That guy off Tomorrow‘s World as well.

Howard something??🤔

Was Graham Garden of the Goodies from Preston?

Plus Jimmy Cagney and Glen Miller visited Us, undoubtedly drawn by the bright lights