PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The new cycle path on Penwortham not very popular.

Went up the hill into penwortham to go to Andreas chippy seriously cant see what the problem is. No problem at the Tesco lights either. On way back turned right onto Cop Lane, my only criticism is that the filter lane accomodates just the one vehicle but other than that all was fine.

As an aside Penwortham is looking really good these days with various cafe Bars popping up.

Went up the hill into penwortham to go to Andreas chippy seriously cant see what the problem is. No problem at the Tesco lights either. On way back turned right onto Cop Lane, my only criticism is that the filter lane accomodates just the one vehicle but other than that all was fine.

As an aside Penwortham is looking really good these days with various cafe Bars popping up.

Agree Penwortham is looking good and Andreas is always a reason to go lol.

Problem is during the busier times and the Kingsway junction is badly designed.

The bypass was supposed to remove traffic going through Penwortham, creating a more pleasant environment. Hence why there are now more bars popping up (and thriving). The cycle lane is really an addition that could be accommodated due to the reduction in traffic. If it hadn't been done now then eventually the traffic levels would have returned to previous (Jevons Paradox). A badly designed junction at one point shouldn't negate the overall benefits of a scheme.

Coming from Hutton in the morning is becoming a nightmare too after they removed the filter light at the start of John Horrocks Way.

No idea whose masterstroke idea that was.

Speaking of cycle paths, did anyone see this, it's genius.

Yeah just about sums up cycling infrastructure in this country! Locally we constantly see infrastructure being built that's not up to standard, with engineers seemingly incapable or unwilling to learn ( apologies if there are any engineers here but it's infuriating). The you've got the gem that is the Leigh Walk cycle path in Edinburgh...

95% of Preston's congestion problems could be solved in one go - a bridge over the Ribble from Longton/Hutton/Penwortham to Docks/Lea/Warton.

People say it would be logistically too hard, too expensive etc, but thats bullshit. If the problem was in London, it would have been done ages ago.

I'd imagine only Westminster based politicians and civil servants would say this.

Anybody around here would know how beneficial it would be.

Bar someone with property in the way of where the new road to the bridge would be or such-like, you'd have to be a moron to be from around here and be opposed to such an idea.

I'd imagine only Westminster based politicians and civil servants would say this.

Anybody around here would know how beneficial it would be.

Bar someone with property in the way of where the new road to the bridge would be or such-like, you'd have to be a moron to be from around here and be opposed to such an idea.
This has been muted since I was little in the 60s,its fookin obvious a road around Howick area going left by the power station then over would take a shit load of traffic off Preston and Penwortham and make sense.

This has been muted since I was little in the 60s,its fookin obvious a road around Howick area going left by the power station then over would take a shit load of traffic off Preston and Penwortham and make sense.

It has got to be in the long term view. The new John Horrocks bypass point joining Liverpool Road would be the logical place to start a road going over the fields, over the river into the Lea area - connecting with the Western Distributor road when it is finished itself near the Lea Gate. It is such an obvious solution, only money can be the issue. There is plenty of it - all directed at other things - we all know councillors don't go with logic.

95% of Preston's congestion problems could be solved in one go - a bridge over the Ribble from Longton/Hutton/Penwortham to Docks/Lea/Warton.

People say it would be logistically too hard, too expensive etc, but thats bullshit. If the problem was in London, it would have been done ages ago.

As I'm sure everyone on here knows, that bridge has been mooted for over 50 years, it predates the building of the M55 in the 1970s.

It's my favourite pub quiz question - why the M55 was built with junctions 1, 3 &4.

As I'm sure everyone on here knows, that bridge has been mooted for over 50 years, it predates the building of the M55 in the 1970s.

It's my favourite pub quiz question - why the M55 was built with junctions 1, 3 &4.
So the question you have to ask yourself is why hasn’t it been built?

No, huge infrastructure cost to complete a project like that across a massive distance on difficult and varied ground. Add in the questionable benefits, induced demand and while intuitively it seems logical it is questionably beneficial.
Ah sorry - your question was being serious.

The reality is the difference between vision and priority.

No, huge infrastructure cost to complete a project like that across a massive distance on difficult and varied ground. Add in the questionable benefits, induced demand and while intuitively it seems logical it is questionably beneficial.
Hs2.....

I'll bet Brunel would have considered it a piece of piss.

Huge cost but 21st century transportation needed. Has the added benefit of adding capacity to the local rail network as well. Should have had better cycling integration though.
I would have thought 21st century technology should negate the need for a lot of business travel. The cost of HS2 to reduce travelling time to London, for the general public by 20 minutes, seems rather pointless.

Why Preston still has a bus station that’s 20 minutes walk from the train station, doesn’t really say much about integration.