PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The opening up Roadmap

That’s acceptance
We have eradicated numerous viruses and should never accept anything less that total success
As we do with cancer
We may never get there but must strive to do so
Cancer kills more. Should we hide away from that and not live our life?
We have never eradicated a coronavirus. We have never eradicated an Influenza virus, hence why hundreds of thousands die of flu every year. Do we hide away from that? No, we make do with a less than perfect vaccine.

New coronaviruses kill people. Always have, always will. A risk of being human.

Alls good, M`Lord.

If they bring these health passports in us oldies can go to the nightclubs without any pesky young people there.

Now wheres the Piper again?
Ahh, the Piper... I used to love going there on a Saturday night.
I could never work out why Match of the Day was on in the nightclub at 1am... long before I had worked out how video recorders worked !!

Cancer kills more. Should we hide away from that and not live our life?
We have never eradicated a coronavirus. We have never eradicated an Influenza virus, hence why hundreds of thousands die of flu every year. Do we hide away from that? No, we make do with a less than perfect vaccine.

New coronaviruses kill people. Always have, always will. A risk of being human.
You can’t catch cancer - I think ?

It will never be all. People need to get in their heads, Covid is not going away. It will kill people for ever more. The soonest everyone accepts this and we learn to live with it, without restricting the liberties of the vast majority, the better.

Maybe it's the overreach of the government and being controlled by government that I don't like.
And its what those on the left are getting a hard on about.

How concerned are you about the 120,000+ and their “restricted liberties”? Be glad you’re not one of them and pray you don’t succumb to Covid and join their number.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t we at the point, as greater numbers have immunity from the current strain, where new variants are likely to appear and against which our existing vaccines are ineffective or at least very much less effective. And so our number one priority now is to keep the infection rate low to reduce the chances of further, more dangerous mutations.

The scientists are telling us how crucial it is to drive down transmission rates here and around the world and at last our Government are acting responsibly and easing lockdown measures cautiously. I welcome that.

Eventually we (the whole world) will have the virus under control but we seem a very, very long way from that point.

More patience required but a small price to pay for safety and good health.

How concerned are you about the 120,000+ and their “restricted liberties”? Be glad you’re not one of them and pray you don’t succumb to Covid and join their number.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t we at the point, as greater numbers have immunity from the current strain, where new variants are likely to appear and against which our existing vaccines are ineffective or at least very much less effective. And so our number one priority now is to keep the infection rate low to reduce the chances of further, more dangerous mutations.

The scientists are telling us how crucial it is to drive down transmission rates here and around the world and at last our Government are acting responsibly and easing lockdown measures cautiously. I welcome that.

Eventually we (the whole world) will have the virus under control but we seem a very, very long way from that point.

More patience required but a small price to pay for safety and good health.
As I said, people die in pandemics, it’s shit but it’s a fact of life. Always has been, always will be.
No one knows how the virus will behave, it may go down the route of SARS and virtually disappear. It may mutate into something more deadly but we don’t know. And we can’t wrap ourselves up on a what if.

You can? How?
HPV increases the risk of developing cervical cancer. Hence the vaccination programme.
There is also a link between HIV and certain cancers.
Certain behaviours, activities which lead to exposure to certain catalysts etc.
Not quite ‘catching‘ it but you can change your behaviour to avoid it/reduce risk. Not entirely dissimilar.

As I said, people die in pandemics, it’s shit but it’s a fact of life. Always has been, always will be.
No one knows how the virus will behave, it may go down the route of SARS and virtually disappear. It may mutate into something more deadly but we don’t know. And we can’t wrap ourselves up on a what if.

Do you agree with the scientists that driving down the infection rate to reduce the risk of further mutations should be our number one priority at this stage in order to protect the gains we’ve made so far?

Or do you believe they’re wrong and that opening up pubs and hospitality now is the priority?

It seems to ignore seasonality, which is huge, those with prior infection, those with prior immunity and the 99% survival rate.

We signed up for 3 weeks of flattening the curve, not 16 months of restriction of liberty.
It’s not about the survival rate though, it’s all down to how many end up hospitalised, it’s to stop the hospitals getting overwhelmed

We signed up for 3 weeks of flattening the curve, not 16 months of restriction of liberty.

🤣
Didn’t realise that in a pandemic the Goverment have to ask our permission every couple of weeks to govern how they see fit to protect the lives of its citizens.

As expected, but disappointingly over-cautious with no option to bring stages forward if things go better than they are expecting .

I would expect to see the no. of hospitalisations from Covid to have fallen off a cliff by the end of March. I get that they have to see whether each stage of the plan is working, but I think they could have merged some together and brought most things forward by 2 to 5 weeks.

They are already talking about bringing restrictions back in the winter , so I think we should crack on with it from 1 April onwards and make the most of the spring and summer when it naturally dies off anyway . People need to remember that if you are concerned for your own family’s safety , you are not forced to go out social mixing, stopping over at friends houses etc. You always have the option to stay at home. With my condition, and so close to the finishing line, I’m staying in as much as I can until 3 weeks after the first jab. But I don’t want to be dictating what other people can do.

The odd thing to me was international travel which is possibly back on the agenda before sports grounds are open. I’d accept making foreign holidays and travel as difficult as possible to effectively put people off travelling. New mutations from countries that are further behind us in the vaccination plan , and in a different season, remains a risk. It seems pretty irresponsible to me to be thinking of travelling abroad during a worldwide pandemic, at least until there is more clarity around transmission rates. The quid pro quo being we fully open up our country.