PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The Play Offs Thread

The Football Ramble put out a podcast this week with technical director at Brentford. Gives a good insight into how they do things planning wise at the club, something I suspect we are miles behind. Worth a listen!

My thoughts exactly - another grim reminder of how much other clubs have achieved in such a short time frame whilst we've continued to tread water. But hey, at least the owners put money in to 'keep us going'.
And no doubt who ever loses will give it a good go again next season as well 😟

The Prem Prize Pot for the winner today is talked about as being £170m.

Let that figure sink in.

£5m spent correctly at PNE would give us a chance of the end of season lottery.

£5m v £170m for a Billionaire family, you'd think they'd be frothing at the mouth to invest that £5m on players (0.5% of their £1B collective wealth).

Instead, we get £500k* (0.05%) instead.

Let THAT figure sink in.

*rough estimate

The Prem Prize Pot for the winner today is talked about as being £170m.

Let that figure sink in.

£5m spent correctly at PNE would give us a chance of the end of season lottery.

£5m v £170m for a Billionaire family, you'd think they'd be frothing at the mouth to invest that £5m on players (0.5% of their £1B collective wealth).

Instead, we get £500k* (0.05%) instead.

Let THAT figure sink in.

*rough estimate
Yeah 170M even if winners finish bottom, The side which still finishes bottom of Prem League receive 95M in Central revenue.

I feel like whoever goes up today will get absolutely slaughtered in the Prem.

Would quite like to see Luton in there though. Fairly romantic rise back through the divisions

I feel like whoever goes up today will get absolutely slaughtered in the Prem.

Would quite like to see Luton in there though. Fairly romantic rise back through the divisions
I'd certainly take a season of getting absolutely slaughtered in the Prem though!

Not fussed who wins, possibly slight preference for Coventry.
I'm not fussed either and tbh if either team were playing someone else I'd want the other team to win. I would've loved to see a Boro v Sunderland final.

I care so little about who wins, I'm not sure I can be arsed watching it.

And there lies the rub
I’d rather enjoy the championship with things as they are
The premiership is everything wrong about football
But hoping for a quiet life perpetually standing still in the Championship will only end one way, because other hungrier, more dynamic clubs, big and small - like Luton and Coventry, and eventually your Wrexhams etc. - will always be coming up and pushing us out of the way in their own push for the Prem.

Eventually, we'll be pushed right down into League One, and the temptation for the quiet life lovers will again be to bemoan what the Championship has become - as "everything that's wrong about football" with its parachute payments and TV money - and to hope for a quiet life perpetually standing still in L1...

But hoping for a quiet life perpetually standing still in the Championship will only end one way, because other hungrier, more dynamic clubs, big and small - like Luton and Coventry, and eventually your Wrexhams etc. - will always be coming up and pushing us out of the way in their own push for the Prem.

Eventually, we'll be pushed right down into League One, and the temptation for the quiet life lovers will again be to bemoan what the Championship has become - as "everything that's wrong about football" with its parachute payments and TV money - and to hope for a quiet life perpetually standing still in L1...
It’s impossible to disagree with you, the clue is in the word league I guess.
It’s just my humble opinion right now, take it or leave it, of course I want us to progress but I might be a little less obsessed than some and am definitely not fussed about playing Man City on a weekday night getting blasted 5-0.
We can and do compete in most games we play, because the financials in general terms aren’t outlandishly different from club to club whereas the premiership is just three leagues effectively.
It may change or it may not, I hope it does for the benefit of football at all levels,
I think we chatted about the super league in another thread, I am starting to very much change my view and thinking it would be a good thing, if nothing else it would offer just a little more parity ?