The Premier league so far this season.

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Penalty for City given by VAR.
Never in a month of Sundays would that have been given in the past.
As per the VAR thread, it needs to be binned or at least re thought.
Was a similar penalty to Leicester against Wolves which provided the only goal of the game.
At least for the time being we are going to see quite a few of those type given.
Suppose it's the same risk for both sides but it just doesn't feel right.

OP
MrHodgeheg123

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
Was a similar penalty to Leicester against Wolves which provided the only goal of the game.
At least for the time being we are going to see quite a few of those type given.
It is the same risk for both sides but it doesn't make it right.
Get shut.

Henrys Cat

Forum Patron
Patron
Villa where superb tonight. Olly Watkins could be the signing of the season. Ross Barkley also on fire for Aston Villa. Breath of fresh air to see the likes of Southampton, Leicester and Villa at the top end of the table.

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
Think the success of Watkins (so far) demonstrates the depth of attacking options England have at their disposal. A young, inexperienced striker at a run-of-the-mill club who is excelling in the big league.

This needs to be exploited; can’t think there’s going to be another time where we have so much to choose from in the attacking third. We have our weaknesses in the middle of the park, for sure, but it’s important that we capitalise on our strengths.

Not really sure Southgate is the man who can create an enterprising, adventurous side that takes the game to the other team. Give him the next Euros and if we don’t pull off a result (get to at least the semi-finals), get rid.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Have to say I agree with Solskjaer about the fixture scheduling, Klopp has backed him too.

In other countries the leagues actually try to help their clubs compete in Europe. Why are the FA/Prem/TV companies giving teams a Saturday lunchtime kick off after a European away trip on a Wednesday ?

I get that these big clubs have expensive and deep squads but it seems ridiculous to me and will only result in injuries.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I packed my fantasy football team with penalty takers for this reason!

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Have to say I agree with Solskjaer about the fixture scheduling, Klopp has backed him too.

In other countries the leagues actually try to help their clubs compete in Europe. Why are the FA/Prem/TV companies giving teams a Saturday lunchtime kick off after a European away trip on a Wednesday ?

I get that these big clubs have expensive and deep squads but it seems ridiculous to me and will only result in injuries.
I get their point of view, and ours being the only major league in Europe only allowing 3 substitutes. Pep stated he wants 5. However, yesterday he only used 1. Two other occasions he failed to use the maximum 3 allowed. It weakens his argument for 5, when he's failing to use 3.

sussexrob

Forum Patron
Patron

I would have more sympathy if during the so called end of season they didn't sod off to some far flung place, then complain there are to many games played.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
I would have more sympathy if during the so called end of season they didn't sod off to some far flung place, then complain there are to many games played.
Normally I’d agree but they didn’t do pre-season tours this season and these are unusual circumstances with an unprecedented number of games being played back to back.

Any other season I’d be against 5 subs and would be dismissive of manager complaints about fixture congestion but this season is a one off.

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
I get their point of view, and ours being the only major league in Europe only allowing 3 substitutes. Pep stated he wants 5. However, yesterday he only used 1. Two other occasions he failed to use the maximum 3 allowed. It weakens his argument for 5, when he's failing to use 3.
The Premier League teams voted AGAINST having 5 Subs for this season. Their own fault.

I have little sympathy for them on this issue.

Personally, had I been permitted a vote, my vote would have been an unequivocal Yes to 5 Subs.

Henry Weston

Forum Patron
Patron
Can you imagine if we ever won promotion?
The gulf in class is wider than the Atlantic.
It would be a case of taking the money and run.
I think it was an Huddersfield fan who said that it was the feeling of finally getting there that was by far the best thing about the whole Premier League experience. I think we’d be the same.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
Spurs winning 2-0. Whoever said Mourinho is past it should bow their head in shame. He’s got them fired up and turned them into genuine title contenders