PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The race for places

norfolk white

Staff member
Patron
I have copied this from a post on the Bristol City MB, I thought others might also find it interesting. The number in brackets after each team is the number of games they have currently played:

For those who don't quite understand, imagine it as a ladder.. the top is an open top bus around the streets parading the league trophy. The bottom of it leads you into a dark place that some teams would still dearly love to be in....

103 - Title winners 2012, 2014
102 -
101 -
100 -
99 -
98 -
97 -
96 - Title winners 2009 *average amount required for title win*
95 - Title winners 2011, 2010
94 - 2nd place 2014
93 - 2nd place 2012
92 - 2nd place 2011
91 -
90 - 3rd Place 2012 *average amount required for promotion*
89 - 2nd place 2009
88 -
87 - 3rd Place 2011, 2009
86 - 2nd place 2010, 3rd Place 2014
85 - 3rd Place 2010
84 - Title winners 2013
83 - 2nd place 2013
82 -
81 -
80 - 6th place 2010
79 - 3rd Place 2013
78 -
77 -
76 - 6th place 2009
75 - * average required for play offs*
74 - 6th place 2013, 2014
73 - 6th place 2012
72 -
71 - 6th place 2011
70 -
69 -
68 -
67 -
66 -
65 -
64 - Bristol City (30)
63 -
62 -
61 -
60 -
59 - MK Dons (31)
58 -
57 - Swindon (30)
56 -
55 -
54 -
53 - Preston (29)
52 -
51 -
50 - Safety 2012, Safety 2010, Safety 2009, Safety 2008 *average required for safety*
49 - Safety 2013
48 - Safety 2011, 2014 Sheffield United (29)
47 -
46 -
45 - Doncaster (30)
44 - Bradford (29)
43 - Oldham (30)
42 - Chesterfield (31)
41 - Gillingham (31), Fleetwood (31), Peterborough (31)
40 - Scunthorpe (29), Walsall (30)
39 - Port Vale (31)
38- Crewe (31), Notts County (30), Rochdale (28),
37-
36-
35 - Barnsley (30)
34-
33-
32- Coventry (30)
31- Colchester (31)
30- Crawley (30)
29- Leyton Orient (30)
28- Yeovil (31)

How many years has the 'average' data been taken from? Looks like it only goes back to 2009 so it could be a bit misleading.

It's an obvious thing to say, but we need to aim for as many points as we can possibly get and that will have been the aim all season.

So we just have to win all 17 games remaining to be promoted with a new points record. 13 wins should secure promotion, 2 points per game from here on would give us 87 which may only be good enough for 3rd place. 7 to 10 wins puts us in the play offs (again).
What we really need is 7 points more than MK and Swindon to go up and 12 more than Bristol if we want to be champions. Unless Sheff U win all 17 ..........

Bristol only need to win 9 of their last 16 games to end up with 91 pts. They will be confident they will be able to acheive that points tally at the very least, considering their form this season. (8 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats would do it)

Just looking at the league table this season, I think for PNE to acheive 2nd spot we need to aim for a minimum 89 points. Basically 36 pts from the next 17 games.

A very difficult task to be honest. Something along the lines of 11 wins, 3 draws with 3 defeats. We need to win games. Draws are not gonna be enough if we want automatic.

We'll get auto if the team that played ManU or Sheff Utd shows up. Playoffs and failure otherwise.

We can't afford to make any mistakes now and we must capitalise on any slip ups made around us which are inevitable, as witnessed last weekend.
We have the capability to achieve automatic promotion and with the resurgence of Joe Garner I have every confidence in the team as a whole.
Some imperative fixtures coming up with Brizzle City, Swindon and the franchise all left to play. Grayson knows what is required and he knows which direction he'll be heading in if he doesn't achieve it.

I still think we will win the league, no idea why, I just have felt that all along and recent events and lads coming back to fitness make me think we'll come to and get to the top by the last day.

If this happens I'll be delighted but immensely annoyed as the Mrs booked a holiday to Cuba she told me on the phone was 'early April' which turned out to be 22nd April - 4th May :exclamation:

Need 91 points for second place? 38 points from 17 games. 11 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats?

I still think we will win the league, no idea why, I just have felt that all along and recent events and lads coming back to fitness make me think we'll come to and get to the top by the last day.

If this happens I'll be delighted but immensely annoyed as the Mrs booked a holiday to Cuba she told me on the phone was 'early April' which turned out to be 22nd April - 4th May :exclamation:

Heart. Says automatic promotion. (Please)

Head. Says Bristol City and MKD in top spots,purely because they are more consistent, with Swindon, Sheffield U, Bradford and us in play offs. And anyone could win that.

I still thibk Grayson and PNE May part ways if promotion isn't secured one way or another. Needs to play Davies and Garner every game and go out to murder teams

The top 5 are in a race for two places - maybe only one from 2nd to 5th as Bristol City are looking nailed on for top spot.

Only 7 points separate 6th to 18th so everything for teams in that group to play for as they will all fancy a play off spot. Hopefully these teams will try and play for wins rather than draws when we play them and make games more open.

Then there is the bottom 6 with 7 points between them and the bottom 4 seem likely to come from this group.

Of the top 5 remaining matches to play:

Bristol City - 2 of the top 5, all of the bottom 6 and 8 from the middle group (2 derby games - Yeovil & Swindon)

MK Dons - 2 of the top 5, 3 of the bottom 6 and 10 from the middle group (1 derby game - Peterborough?)

Swindon - 3 of the top 5, 4 of the bottom 6 and 9 from the middle group (1 derby game - Bristol C)

PNE - 3 of the top 5, 2 of the bottom 6 and 12 from the middle group (3 derby games - Fleetwood, Rochdale, Oldham)

Sheff Utd. - 0 of the top 5, 5 of the bottom 6 and 12 from the middle group (4 derby games - Bradford, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield)

Not sure what all this means but it killed 30 mins or so!

Last edited:
The top 5 are in a race for two places - maybe only one from 2nd to 5th as Bristol City are looking nailed on for top spot.

Only 7 points separate 6th to 18th so everything for teams in that group to play for as they will all fancy a play off spot. Hopefully these teams will try and play for wins rather than draws when we play them and make games more open.

Then there is the bottom 6 with 7 points between them and the bottom 4 seem likely to come from this group.

Off the top 5 remaining matches to play:

Bristol City - 2 of the top 5, all of the bottom 6 and 8 from the middle group (2 derby games - Yeovil & Swindon)

MK Dons - 2 of the top 5, 3 of the bottom 6 and 10 from the middle group (1 derby game - Peterborough?)

Swindon - 3 of the top 5, 4 of the bottom 6 and 9 from the middle group (1 derby game - Bristol C)

PNE - 3 of the top 5, 2 of the bottom 6 and 12 from the middle group (3 derby games - Fleetwood, Rochdale, Oldham)

Sheff Utd. - 0 of the top 5, 5 of the bottom 6 and 12 from the middle group (4 derby games - Bradford, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield)

Not sure what all this means but it called 30 mins or so!

Good stats these Deepdale. If I read it right PNE have the toughest run-in on paper. But in reality we have a strong squad, if not the strongest and can beat all L1 teams if we turn up. SG needs to get the team and tactics right and we will then have a chance.

Off the top 5 remaining matches to play:

Not sure what all this means but it called 30 mins or so!

With having more of our rivals to play, this gives us a potential advantage. Winning these games wins points for us and deprives them of points. These games are very important for our chance of auto.

It really is game by game. As we saw recently when we got 2 points out of 9 against the bottom 3 league position means nothing. Let's start off with a result against Scunthorpe which won't be easy as they're doing well.

Very interesting and thanks for posting.

It would be interesting to see a snapshot of where teams were in respect to those final positions at this point in the season.