The sad exit of Mr Gentry

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
Someone gave me Alan Balls’ autobiography to read and last night I got to this bit which I found quite sad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 246

chorleythehord

Forum Patron
Patron
Hence his gestures towards the Directors' box when he scored against us in the cup, for Southampton, I think.

Correct. That was the game that I learnt that booing players only serves to spur them on and play much better.

AB Junior had made a big fuss about his dad prior to the game and his every touch was booed.

i don’t know how many goals he scored that season but I’d guess that was a rare one.

The lesson is the best insult you can give to a player is to ignore him. Sadly one that North End fans in general have never learnt.

OP
Yoowell

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
Obviously Alan Ball snr. wasn’t to know how something he said about fans in an interview would turn into something fantastic that we have now...however on the face of it the club didn’t behave like the Gentry at the time.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
When football managers are dismissed the whole business is necessarily rather brusque. Alan Ball Snr made himself a legend for us by getting us out of the old 3rd Division at the first attempt and re-establishing us in the second tier. But he eventually reached his limit and his last match was a 5-0 home defeat by Portsmouth after which it was obvious he had to go. But it seems to have been a bit more brutal than it needed to be. Nevertheless Alan Ball Snr's legacy lives on in Gentry Day and I think he might have appreciated that more than the sour gestures of his son.

Whydoibother

Forum Patron
Patron
Correct. That was the game that I learnt that booing players only serves to spur them on and play much better.

AB Junior had made a big fuss about his dad prior to the game and his every touch was booed.

i don’t know how many goals he scored that season but I’d guess that was a rare one.

The lesson is the best insult you can give to a player is to ignore him. Sadly one that North End fans in general have never learnt.
The irony was that many fans shared the opinion that he shouldn't have been sacked

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
I thought it was well known that Alan Ball jnr detested North End for the way they treated his dad.
Definitely.... when he came back with Southampton in the FA Cup tie in 1978 he scored the winning goal and gestured accordingly

Paul Szacsky

Forum Patron
Patron
Definitely.... when he came back with Southampton in the FA Cup tie in 1978 he scored the winning goal and gestured accordingly
I hated him at the time but knowing what we know now who the hell could blame him, could have taken it up a notch and had a T shirt under his strip with the words F@!K YOU in navy blue.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Obviously Alan Ball snr. wasn’t to know how something he said about fans in an interview would turn into something fantastic that we have now...however on the face of it the club didn’t behave like the Gentry at the time.
I wasnt proud to be a North Ender that night....... after the game i was walking back to the bus station and as we walked down Meadow Street about 20 North End fans started attacking one Soton fan who was walking back the same way....

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
When football managers are dismissed the whole business is necessarily rather brusque. Alan Ball Snr made himself a legend for us by getting us out of the old 3rd Division at the first attempt and re-establishing us in the second tier. But he eventually reached his limit and his last match was a 5-0 home defeat by Portsmouth after which it was obvious he had to go. But it seems to have been a bit more brutal than it needed to be. Nevertheless Alan Ball Snr's legacy lives on in Gentry Day and I think he might have appreciated that more than the sour gestures of his son.
There are not many sons who wouldnt stand up for their Dad, "Sour gestures?"

Good grief.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
There are not many sons who wouldnt stand up for their Dad, "Sour gestures?"

Good grief.

As I said I doubt that Alan Ball Snr would have thought his son's public actions seemly or appropriate. His own manner as I recall was subdued and dignified.

bigtallsi

Forum Patron
Patron
I hated him at the time but knowing what we know now who the hell could blame him, could have taken it up a notch and had a T shirt under his strip with the words F@!K YOU in navy blue.
As mentioned above it was aimed at my wife's late Grandfather, Director of the club at the time and pulled the trigger, so to speak. Good man, Howard Kendall lodged with them for a fair while. But accept it was/isn't popular