Things to do in Glasgow?

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
We'll be knocking about in Glasgow for a few days. Need some inspiration to fill our time.

What can we do? Where can we go? What should we see?

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
We'll be knocking about in Glasgow for a few days. Need some inspiration to fill our time.

What can we do? Where can we go? What should we see?
Havent been up there for 5 or 6 years but there are two places that we went back to every time we were up there visiting my step-daughter before she absconded back to England: Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and The Botanic Gardens. The glasshouses @ the gardens are amazing, on a par with Kew imo

Michael

Advisor to the Owner
We enjoyed the Riverside museum when we were up there. Only went for the day and so did the sightseeing bus as well. Always find them good for scoping the area then next time we go we'll spend a couple of days going to the places that looked good.

anubis

Manager
The City centre mural trail. Pick up a map from the building behind the Duke of Wellington statue on Royal Exchange square or download it online and off you go for a couple of hours.
Wetherspoons on George Square is a nice environment for breakfast beforehand.

OP
pnewortham

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Havent been up there for 5 or 6 years but there are two places that we went back to every time we were up there visiting my step-daughter before she absconded back to England: Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and The Botanic Gardens. The glasshouses @ the gardens are amazing, on a par with Kew imo
Just booked (free) tickets for Kelvingrove. Really looking forward to that.

I can't help thinking I'd like nothing more than to eat and drink for 4 days solid, but that's probably a bit daft really. I'm with the wife and kids, not a stag do.

If I take the Glasgow subway I might pop up somewhere for a cafe au lait and a croissant. But not sure if I'm getting my European cities mixed up.

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Just booked (free) tickets for Kelvingrove. Really looking forward to that.

I can't help thinking I'd like nothing more than to eat and drink for 4 days solid, but that's probably a bit daft really. I'm with the wife and kids, not a stag do.

If I take the Glasgow subway I might pop up somewhere for a cafe au lait and a croissant. But not sure if I'm getting my European cities mixed up.

The Ubiquitous Chip restaurant is pretty close to the Kelvingrove. It’s been a stalwart of the fine dining scene in Glasgow since before there was one.

Bread Meats Bread in the city centre is great. Kind of a hipster burger place. Love the poutine there. The Drum and Monkey (a Nicholson’s pub) is just up the road and well worth a visit.

The Pot Still is the obvious place to go for a wee dram.

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
There's only one choice in Glasgow. 'Home of the great fish tea'. A lot of free stuff to do in Glasgow. The Riverside museum and the ship down by the docks. George Square, some amazing architecture.Great people, I wasn't expecting it the first time I went, really lovely and down to earth. The world's biggest village. Check out where they're up to with renovating the School of Art.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Go as a educationalist, and teach them how to to speak without use of the word Jimmy. Go into a Celtic Pub, and ask them why they are such a shit team.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
To be fair, most Celtic fans would agree that they are shit at present!

Should go into a Celtic pub pretending to play a flute. They love that and will give a warm welcome :D
I spent hogmany in Grangemouth once, the jocks are insane, it was freezing cold and at midnight they, the Scots came out on the streets with nothing but kilts, on. no shirts just kilts,
I had to get back to London the only train was from Falkirk to Edinburgh, the bloke at Falkirk railway staion was the double of Fraser from Dad's Army, he said, there will be nee trains to Edinburgh this day laddie.

I felt like I was in the film 'Hostel' weird place that Scotland, prefer Lancashire myself.