Things to do in Glasgow?

'Well PNESC

First Team
Sightseeing bus trip.
I used to drive the sightseeing buses so here are a couple of tips.

Don’t throw your ticket away. Just say you’d bought a ticket for today and decide tonight that you’d like to go round again tomorrow. If you present today’s ticket to the driver tomorrow, you can buy an ‘add-on’ for a couple of quid which covers you for another full day rather than forking out the full price for another day ticket. Funnily enough, they never advertised that!!

Also, one-day tickets are only valid on the day of issue. They are not 24-hour tickets so make sure you start early enough to give yourself time to jump on and off to do and see things. I had a ‘discussion’ (in Spanish!) on this subject with a very disgruntled passenger one day!

Have a good trip!

OP
pnewortham

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I used to drive the sightseeing buses so here are a couple of tips.

Don’t throw your ticket away. Just say you’d bought a ticket for today and decide tonight that you’d like to go round again tomorrow. If you present today’s ticket to the driver tomorrow, you can buy an ‘add-on’ for a couple of quid which covers you for another full day rather than forking out the full price for another day ticket. Funnily enough, they never advertised that!!

Also, one-day tickets are only valid on the day of issue. They are not 24-hour tickets so make sure you start early enough to give yourself time to jump on and off to do and see things. I had a ‘discussion’ (in Spanish!) on this subject with a very disgruntled passenger one day!

Have a good trip!
Love that tip !

Bjarki the Bald

Forum Patron
Patron
I’d agree with those above, I’ve felt safer walking around Glasgow than most big English cities, folk have always been friendly and welcoming.

Look up Ashton lane, some good places for food and drink round there

OP
pnewortham

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I’d agree with those above, I’ve felt safer walking around Glasgow than most big English cities, folk have always been friendly and welcoming.

Look up Ashton lane, some good places for food and drink round there
Just looked it up - I very much like the look of that - we'll be paying a little visit! :) (y)

justinr73

Forum Patron
Patron
Just looked it up - I very much like the look of that - we'll be paying a little visit! :) (y)

That’s where the Ubiquitous Chip restaurant I mentioned is. Cab ride from the city centre but not too far.

Anyone else been to the legendary King Tuts Wah Wah Hut? Went to see The Frank and Walters.

OP
pnewortham

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Well, what a cracking place Glasgow turned out to be. Had a total blindspot for it, but I love the place, and will soon be back.

Far bigger than I ever imagined. A proper large city (I know, I know), with designer shopping paradise, sprawling shopping area, subway system. The docks is regenerating impressively from its post-Billy-Connolly-I-was-a-welder past.

But the West End, around the University campus, is my new favourite place for coffee, bruschetta and watching the (not-unattractive) world go by.

It also helped that the weather was clear azure skies, 25C, and everybody seemed to want to wear as few clothes as possible.