This corona virus thing...

Korol

Forum Patron
Patron
Johnson has been exposed for what he is by this crisis. His personal approval rating is at rock bottom. Part of the reason for his huge majority was a woeful opponent.
😳

Wait, what do you mean 'woeful opponent'?

I was under the impression that everyone who voted against Jeremy Corbyn was thick and stupid!

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
😳

I was under the impression that everyone who voted against Jeremy Corbyn was thick and stupid!
Not everyone, just those that voted for Johnson, The Lib Dem voters where just a bit dim ;)

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
😳

People who voted for lard arse Johnson are getting what they voted for : incompetence, cronyism and mendacity. Those are absolutely not what's needed when the country is in the mire.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
People who voted for lard arse Johnson are getting what they voted for : incompetence, cronyism and mendacity. Those are absolutely not what's needed when the country is in the mire.
The problem is he ran exclusively on Brexit and filled his cabinet with Brexiteers. Many of them are not fit to hold the positions they do and unfortunately this is what we are seeing.

Whether I agree with their politics or not there are some excellent Conservative MPs who are far better equipped to run the country and in many cases they are probably better equipped than those that are currently sat in the shadow cabinet.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
The problem is he ran exclusively on Brexit and filled his cabinet with Brexiteers. Many of them are not fit to hold the positions they do and unfortunately this is what we are seeing.

Whether I agree with their politics or not there are some excellent Conservative MPs who are far better equipped to run the country and in many cases they are probably better equipped than those that are currently sat in the shadow cabinet.
Ive said several times that these are not tories they are far right extremists, I dont say that lightly either.

Snicky

Like a bad smell.....
Patron
Ive said several times that these are not tories they are far right extremists, I dont say that lightly either.
Yes you do, you throw ridiculous comparisions around on a regular basis.

You show your ignorance again describing a centre right Tory government as “right wing extremists”

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
Yes you do, you throw ridiculous comparisions around on a regular basis.

You show your ignorance again describing a centre right Tory government as “right wing extremists”
lol

There is nothing centre about this bunch and you know it.

starmer is centre right, your lib dems are slightly to the left of starmer, Johnsons tories are are way over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Snicky

Like a bad smell.....
Patron
lol

There is nothing centre about this bunch and you know it.

starmer is centre right, your lib dems are slightly to the left of starmer, Johnsons tories are are way over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Far right extremists are the BNP, the real nasty racist. You know those lot that got investigated by the EHRC?

Winkytinky

Forum Patron
Patron
Far right extremists are the BNP, the real nasty racist. You know those lot that got investigated by the EHRC?
Tories like Ken Clarke, Phillip Hammond, even Winston Churchills bloody Grandson can be described as centre right, this lot now are not.

jgriff2296

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm feeling a bit nauseous, I find myself agreeing with Snicky (ouch!). This is definitely a right wing tory government (Johnson himself is not, he's just a a lazy, lying opportunistic incompetent fool. ) Nominal because others are pulling the strings.
If we call them far right extremists then what do we call the truly right wing extremists such as the EDL. I used to have this argument in Thatchers day - I despised her with a vengeance but I objected to people calling her a fascist, having joined the line so to speak to stop the National Front marching through immigrant areas in Dewsbury, Bradford and Leeds. These WERE far right extremists AKA fascists.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
Tories like Ken Clarke, Phillip Hammond, even Winston Churchills bloody Grandson can be described as centre right, this lot now are not.
The current incumbents cant really be descibed as either right or left since they have no policy other than to stay in power at all costs and dismantle means of opposition. Anti democrats actually.

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron
I'm feeling a bit nauseous, I find myself agreeing with Snicky (ouch!). This is definitely a right wing tory government (Johnson himself is not, he's just a a lazy, lying opportunistic incompetent fool. ) Nominal because others are pulling the strings.
If we call them far right extremists then what do we call the truly right wing extremists such as the EDL. I used to have this argument in Thatchers day - I despised her with a vengeance but I objected to people calling her a fascist, having joined the line so to speak to stop the National Front marching through immigrant areas in Dewsbury, Bradford and Leeds. These WERE far right extremists AKA fascists.
You need to consider the political shift too. When a centre-left opposition such as Corbyn's Labour are branded far-left and even Starmer's centre-right to right Labour are even being branded 'lefties' then maybe the current government are more right wing than you believe.

Both you and Paddy make some excellent points either way.

raefil

Forum Patron
Patron
You need to consider the political shift too. When a centre-left opposition such as Corbyn's Labour are branded far-left and even Starmer's centre-right to right Labour are even being branded 'lefties' then maybe the current government are more right wing than you believe.

yes a fairly recent addition to this section but a very welcome one making some really good contributions.

Snicky

Like a bad smell.....
Patron
You can’t surely agree with raefil though? A government with two ethnic minorities holding two of the 4 great offices of state are “far right extremists”?
its beyond ridiculous.

Its pure hyperbole and I’ve said this for years, it turns people off from your point of view.

Snicky

Like a bad smell.....
Patron
Agreed. Apart from the nausea bit. 😂😂

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron

However one labels this government, what is clear to me is they are certainly not what Johnson alleged they would be. He promised a One Nation Tory Party. This lot are certainly not the heirs to generations of pre Thatcher conservatism

Winkytinky

Forum Patron
Patron
You can’t surely agree with raefil though? A government with two ethnic minorities holding two of the 4 great offices of state are “far right extremists”?
its beyond ridiculous.

Its pure hyperbole and I’ve said this for years, it turns people off from your point of view.
I'd go along with Pete's description, this lot cannot be described as traditional centre right Tories, they have lurched towards populism which when it comes to law and order isn't compatable with conservatism, they have the potential to become extremist and they're treading a very fine line imo.