This corona virus thing...

Nobber

Forum Patron
Patron
Yet we cannot ignore lessons from the Spanish flu that came in 3 waves, the 2nd of which was the more deadly.

Its fair to say that its dangerous to link the 2 pandemics though.
Everything I see is all ifs buts and maybes.

id rather er on the side of caution when it involves death.

Snicky

Like a bad smell.....
Patron
Yet we cannot ignore lessons from the Spanish flu that came in 3 waves, the 2nd of which was the more deadly.

Its fair to say that its dangerous to link the 2 pandemics though.
True but the Fat Emperor video on the other thread explained that the 2nd wave of the Spanish Flu was actually a second strain brought back from Europe. Apparently documented by a bloke whose name i have forgotten.

europne

Advisor to the Owner
Its a good question, what will be interesting to see as these spikes keep coming is what effect its going to have on causing serious illness.

I can only speak knowledgeably of RPH but admissions are down considerably, long term, and seem to be dropping short term too. From 8 in patients the week before to 5 as of last Friday.

Is the second wave going to be as virulent on health as the first?
Not just about a possible second or third wave, the first is still causing issues...

I listened to an interesting learned American fella on CNN who said we are all talking about deaths but no one is talking about the wounded whose numbers will exceed the dead. Where even asymptomatic people are being struck down with other issues later, not to mention those who have been hospitalised or very poorly, and that we still have no idea of the long term damage of this virus because of its varying effects on people.

europne

Advisor to the Owner
True but the Fat Emperor video on the other thread explained that the 2nd wave of the Spanish Flu was actually a second strain brought back from Europe. Apparently documented by a bloke whose name i have forgotten.
On the documentary I saw it showed that the second wave developed in the USA and was brought back to Europe on an overcrowded troop ship. It was a harrowing watch.....

Snicky

Like a bad smell.....
Patron
Not just about a possible second or third wave, the first is still causing issues...

I listened to an interesting learned American fella on CNN who said we are all talking about deaths but no one is talking about the wounded whose numbers will exceed the dead. Where even asymptomatic people are being struck down with other issues later, not to mention those who have been hospitalised or very poorly, and that we still have no idea of the long term damage of this virus because of its varying effects on people.
The video i keep talking about addresses the supposed long term and after effects also.

Snicky

Like a bad smell.....
Patron
Big difference between a 1940 troop ship and a cruise ship 😀
Wouldn't get me on either though.

Bobbage

4th Choice Keeper
Patron
Absolutely cringeworthy!

"The United States are lower than... the world, we're lower than Europe..."

Bobbage

4th Choice Keeper
Patron
Was going to quote Snicky's post about troop/cruise ships but it seems to have been deleted?

Hurtigruten was the first cruise operator worldwide to return an oceangoing cruise ship to service in mid-June, touting reduced passenger capacity, social distancing and strict rules on hygiene. It will now suspend all so-called expedition cruises until further notice.

"We have failed," CEO Daniel Skjeldamn told a news conference. "I apologise strongly on behalf of the company."

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner

Am I interpreting this correctly? India and Bangladesh are at the bottom of that list, yet in the UK those folk would be classed as BAME and are highly susceptible? It's all very confusing.

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
Am I interpreting this correctly? India and Bangladesh are at the bottom of that list, yet in the UK those folk would be classed as BAME and are highly susceptible? It's all very confusing.
This isnt an answer to your question more a supplementary question.

Could it be exposure to sunlight and thus vitamin Dis the key?

When i lived in India, because of the heat, the houses were very well ventilated, not air condintioned, a lot of family was outdoors too.

Bobbage

4th Choice Keeper
Patron
Been looking in to the numbers of Covid cases of people who were hit by a bus, and here's a fun fact for you all;

There were fewer pedestrians killed in road accidents in the whole of 2018 (456) than NHS Staff died with Covid in the first 6 months of this year (540)