This corona virus thing...

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
They
Is this slightly misleading by Sky News? When this data was recorded, pubs, gyms, cafes etc were closed, so their % should be low. What this does show is where the higher number of people mixing occurs right now.

I would have liked to have seen the data from July onwards though. No doubt pubs etc would have been higher, but high enough to be closed a 2nd time? Were they that big a spreader compared to other settings? I'm not sure.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron

How kind of Matt to extend flu vaccinations to the over 50s well into the winter flu season. What foresight. The fact that Boots suspended bookings more than 6 weeks ago before this increased demand tells you all you need to know again about the chasm between trumpeted govt policy and its ability to implement it. They should ban the advertising of govt promises from Facebook and Google on the basis of malicious misleading of the general public.
So this is being extended from 1st December...flu jab cannot be given together with the covid jab.

Nurses are being expected to do 12 hour shifts 7 days a week to roll out the covid vaccine.

Who exactly is going to give the flu jabs and how do they propose to give them when they need to give the covid ones?

Obviously the flu jabs are important but once again it's just a case of the government announcing something with zero thought as to how it will actually work

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
So this is being extended from 1st December...flu jab cannot be given together with the covid jab.

Nurses are being expected to do 12 hour shifts 7 days a week to roll out the covid vaccine.

Who exactly is going to give the flu jabs and how do they propose to give them when they need to give the covid ones?

Obviously the flu jabs are important but once again it's just a case of the government announcing something with zero thought as to how it will actually work
No, that's where the scouts, firemen & vets will come in. Don't worry.

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron

How kind of Matt to extend flu vaccinations to the over 50s well into the winter flu season. What foresight. The fact that Boots suspended bookings more than 6 weeks ago before this increased demand tells you all you need to know again about the chasm between trumpeted govt policy and its ability to implement it. They should ban the advertising of govt promises from Facebook and Google on the basis of malicious misleading of the general public.
The flu jab roll out around here has been farcical. I managed to get mine by going direct to a pharmacicst. My GP surgery didnt even understand the rules about who was to get a jab as they consistently told me I wasnt old enough. I am 64 but will be 65 before the end of March. 65 years old by 31/3/21 is in the category 65+. I shudder to think how they will handle the need to vaccinate millions

Strongbow

Forum Patron
Patron
So the mrs has just been told from work that the government directive, with her being a vaccination nurse, is that she should be available 7 days a week through December/January (including Christmas day, boxing day, NYE and NYD) to work 12 hour shifts delivering the vaccine.

Good job the nurses got a lovely pay rise and not just a clap every thursday

Gosh bet that filled up the STD clinics every Friday !!!!!!

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
My dad tested positive for covid last Wednesday. And died on Sunday.

My goodness- condolences. That’s terrible.

A terrible decision to have make regarding his funeral too. Are the forced quarantine rules definitely applied in full for cases like this? And if so, is it definitely something you can’t do? No answer needed of course. I’m sure you agonised over this enough.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
It's a bitter pill to swallow. Obviously it would have been hard at any time by any means but somehow this seems all the harder. This virus is something that for some largely only exists on the news till it touches you directly as it has me.

He wasn't young but he was physically healthy for his age. Probably had years ahead of him if not for this. Somebody eats a bat in China and months later my dad dies in Scotland because of it.

I'm in the States and wont even be able to attend his funeral. If I went home I would immediately be in quarantine for two weeks. The whole thing is hard to take.
It’s awful, know how you feel, hubby lost his mum and he hadn’t seen her for 8 weeks, she Waved us off on holiday and that was the last time he saw her alive, its Been so cruel on him and his brother and sister. But we know there a thousands in the same position. So sorry for you.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
Have they got her training all the boy scouts and firemen yet?
The plan is to train receptionists to deliver the vaccine as well and hubs for the vaccine will be open 12 hours a day 7 days a week including Christmas Day etc. Don’t think I’ll be volunteering to administer vaccines. I don’t think I would feel safe doing it. That’s how I understand it to be anyway.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
The plan is to train receptionists to deliver the vaccine as well and hubs for the vaccine will be open 12 hours a day 7 days a week including Christmas Day etc. Don’t think I’ll be volunteering to administer vaccines. I don’t think I would feel safe doing it. That’s how I understand it to be anyway.
Could they not train med students and nursing students to do it? Most of them learn the process by first year anyway

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Couldn’t write it could you
Myself and others predicted this a while ago. It's not a surprise at all. Did you see Kay Burley a few days ago? She literally tore into a cabinet member demanding he say how many can meet at Xmas.

It's unneeded pressure from the media and sadly we don't have a strong enough government to fight back.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Myself and others predicted this a while ago. It's not a surprise at all. Did you see Kay Burley a few days ago? She literally tore into a cabinet member demanding he say how many can meet at Xmas.

It's unneeded pressure from the media and sadly we don't have a strong enough government to fight back.
There is probably licence to open up a bit over Christmas with the schools all off and the reduction in transmission that will bring. Most offices will also be closed.

I think a problem the government may have is that if everyone gets used to the reduced restrictions for a couple of weeks over Christmas many people won't bother adhering to a tightening of them after Christmas. But hopefully it doesn't come to that anyway because endless lockdowns aren't viable and the longer they go on folk just won't bother following the rules anyway.

I hope there is some good news for the retail and hospitality sectors in the next couple of weeks. Being open at Christmas will be utterly vital for them after a torrid year.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
Couldn’t write it could you

Theyre still writing it now - their own version of the okey cokey. This is just a leak to bury Pritti news. Just need to get some month old statistics to support the announcement of further misery. If they keep retail closed after 2 Dec without any hard evidence they need shooting. I believe Cardiff is already open so it will be interesting to see what the fumbler announces for England.