PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

Interesting interview with Yuli Edelstein, Israel minister of health on Andrew Marr this morning. Most enlightening when he was pressed about the supply of vaccines to Palestinians. The interview starts 39 minutes in.

Going back to what I said before Christmas

If we had a Government with the brains and a bit of foresight

We would have had the first vaccine not just ordered but manufactured ready from day one

And IF the NHS (that well known closed shop) couldn’t get together their act in time, other means including (as I said) the Military would NOT have decreed Christmas off limit for work

Then we wouldn’t have had this choice with 6- 12 or how many weeks and quite a few people now seriously Ill dead and more to come (approx 3000-5000) at least

I don’t claim to be a mind reader by the way just have a bit of common sense

As it stands I have had my first ‘jab’ and I am quite willing (will some protection) to wait to give someone else the chance

Going back to what I said before Christmas

If we had a Government with the brains and a bit of foresight

We would have had the first vaccine not just ordered but manufactured ready from day one

And IF the NHS (that well known closed shop) couldn’t get together their act in time, other means including (as I said) the Military would NOT have decreed Christmas off limit for work

Then we wouldn’t have had this choice with 6- 12 or how many weeks and quite a few people now seriously Ill dead and more to come (approx 3000-5000) at least

I don’t claim to be a mind reader by the way just have a bit of common sense

As it stands I have had my first ‘jab’ and I am quite willing (will some protection) to wait to give someone else the chance
Common sense?

Fookin ell youre the village idiot and this whole post proves it!

Typical abuse
when you have nothing worth contributing
Which is quite normal really
Mr.Red
Well stop being so bigotedly fucking Stupid.

It was pointed out to you, with links, when you came out with the same crap last time, exactly why the vaccine wasnt available straight away. They hadnt fucking manufactured it.

Even the tories couldnt hurry that along.

As a side issue i have just read about, has anyone else heard of this Great Reopening...?
Apparently numerous establishments are going to reopen on 30th Jan in defiance of lockdown....

As a side issue i have just read about, has anyone else heard of this Great Reopening...?
Apparently numerous establishments are going to reopen on 30th Jan in defiance of lockdown....
And loads of them will go out of business because of the massive fines coming their way if they can’t find a loophole. One of those is a salon who received 27 grand worth of fines

The COVID-19 goldrush

Sorry such a long post, cut from the Good Law Project.

"Of the million laptops Government ordered for remote learning during lockdown, more than three quarters have come from Computacenter. The total value of the contracts awarded to Computacenter is at least £198 million. Its founder, Sir Philip Hulme, has donated hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Conservative Party in recent years and Mr Hulme’s wife has also donated £100,000 as recently as the 2019 Election.

And now it transpires that some of the laptops supplied do not meet the minimum standards set out in the DfE specification and many contain malware.

A school in Bradford which received 90 Geobook 1E laptops via the Computacenter booking system this week found they had been handed devices infected with a malware virus. A letter from the school’s deputy head states: "Upon unboxing and preparing them it was discovered that a number of the laptops are infected with a self-propagating network worm (Gamarue.I). The network worm looks like it contacts Russian servers when active."

An online forum used by school IT experts suggests this is far from an isolated incident - numerous schools have reported the virus to the DfE. Reports suggest laptops have arrived with no sound driver installed, causing access issues for pupils.

And, from what we can see, it appears that the price they’ve charged for some of their devices is almost twice what it should be. The DfE has redacted key pricing documentation from the published contracts, so we are unable to provide a definitive cost per laptop or tablet. However we do know that in September and October last year, the DfE placed three contracts valued at £39.7m with Computacenter. The deal required Computacenter to supply 192,400 devices. This equates to an average cost of £206 per device. But experts have told us they would expect the basic laptops to cost the taxpayer closer to the region of £100 per device. An education IT expert who wanted to remain anonymous told us: “When it comes to the GeoBook, we had seen similar laptops on sale via China for less than £100.”

The Government is yet to publish the contract award for the additional 300,000 laptops it announced 4 days after we launched our latest legal challenge. So we don’t know who the contract has been handed to - or at what cost to the taxpayer. But on the basis of their track record, you’ll forgive us if we aren’t optimistic about what will come to light.

The COVID-19 goldrush continues for those fortunate enough to have links to the Conservative Party. Sadly this time it’s the most vulnerable families picking up the pieces, and fighting for the most basic provisions to continue their child’s education.

Thank you,

Jolyon Maugham QC
Director of Good Law Project"

The COVID-19 goldrush

Sorry such a long post, cut from the Good Law Project.

"Of the million laptops Government ordered for remote learning during lockdown, more than three quarters have come from Computacenter. The total value of the contracts awarded to Computacenter is at least £198 million. Its founder, Sir Philip Hulme, has donated hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Conservative Party in recent years and Mr Hulme’s wife has also donated £100,000 as recently as the 2019 Election.

And now it transpires that some of the laptops supplied do not meet the minimum standards set out in the DfE specification and many contain malware.

A school in Bradford which received 90 Geobook 1E laptops via the Computacenter booking system this week found they had been handed devices infected with a malware virus. A letter from the school’s deputy head states: "Upon unboxing and preparing them it was discovered that a number of the laptops are infected with a self-propagating network worm (Gamarue.I). The network worm looks like it contacts Russian servers when active."

An online forum used by school IT experts suggests this is far from an isolated incident - numerous schools have reported the virus to the DfE. Reports suggest laptops have arrived with no sound driver installed, causing access issues for pupils.

And, from what we can see, it appears that the price they’ve charged for some of their devices is almost twice what it should be. The DfE has redacted key pricing documentation from the published contracts, so we are unable to provide a definitive cost per laptop or tablet. However we do know that in September and October last year, the DfE placed three contracts valued at £39.7m with Computacenter. The deal required Computacenter to supply 192,400 devices. This equates to an average cost of £206 per device. But experts have told us they would expect the basic laptops to cost the taxpayer closer to the region of £100 per device. An education IT expert who wanted to remain anonymous told us: “When it comes to the GeoBook, we had seen similar laptops on sale via China for less than £100.”

The Government is yet to publish the contract award for the additional 300,000 laptops it announced 4 days after we launched our latest legal challenge. So we don’t know who the contract has been handed to - or at what cost to the taxpayer. But on the basis of their track record, you’ll forgive us if we aren’t optimistic about what will come to light.

The COVID-19 goldrush continues for those fortunate enough to have links to the Conservative Party. Sadly this time it’s the most vulnerable families picking up the pieces, and fighting for the most basic provisions to continue their child’s education.

Thank you,

Jolyon Maugham QC
Director of Good Law Project"
Much as it pains me to say it....

Computacentre are probably the most competitive in the market when it comes to large scale computer hardware procurements.

If we know they are going to be competing we rarely bother bidding.

I can see how it looks given the amount of cronyism that goes on but they are the market leader.

Computacentre are probably the most competitive in the market when it comes to large scale computer hardware procurements.

I can see how it looks given the amount of cronyism that goes on but they are the market leader.
Would they be interested in my ZX81 ?

Is your malware not up to it Paddy?😅

Do the margins seem right? To someone who knows nothing of the area seems like a bit mark-up.