PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

Child deaths from flu in the USA are typically much much higher than we have observed in Covid19.
In the flu season prior to Covid, 200 kids died and in the H1N1 flu season 368 died.
If we are to act proportionately using flu as a benchmark then vaccinating kids against Covid 19 appears to be an overreaction.
Someone posted a link that its highly unlikely were going to vaccinate kids. I dont think anyone, on here, has actually argued for, either.

Someone posted a link that its highly unlikely were going to vaccinate kids. I dont think anyone, on here, has actually argued for, either.
The govt was being advised against it a fortnight ago. That doesn’t mean they won’t go ahead.
I’m not averse to a measured, informed approach where parents are told the pros and cons based on their child’s health snd age etc.

The govt was being advised against it a fortnight ago. That doesn’t mean they won’t go ahead.
I’m not averse to a measured, informed approach where parents are told the pros and cons based on their child’s health snd age etc.
The problem being, the pros are theyre less likely to catch and spread covid, the cons? I suppose its similar to me really, the cons are its a real leap into the unknown.

wrong, withthe proviso that there is regular staff testing available.

Nobody should ever be forced a vaccine against their wishes.
Whilst I agree with this I would add a couple of caveats.
a) They should be able to refuse jobs to new applicants who refuse the jab.
b) Patients should know which staff have not been vaccinated (I'm uncomfortable with this one but patients have the right to expect all possible efforts are made to keep them safe whilst in hospital)
c) Staff that work in ICU/theatre etc must have had the jab or be redeployed. This already happens with things like hepatitis jabs.

Whilst I agree with this I would add a couple of caveats.
a) They should be able to refuse jobs to new applicants who refuse the jab.
b) Patients should know which staff have not been vaccinated (I'm uncomfortable with this one but patients have the right to expect all possible efforts are made to keep them safe whilst in hospital)
c) Staff that work in ICU/theatre etc must have had the jab or be redeployed. This already happens with things like hepatitis jabs.

New applicants who refuse the jab on grounds that aren't medical shouldn't be considered for the job. However, there are people who have valid medical concerns who aren't to blame for refusing.

I really don't like point B. if staff don't need to/shouldn't declare their mental health history to a patient, their choice on the jab is no different. Both have potential to be a risk towards patients, both are personal and also not necessarily a risk towards patients.

It should be common practice for staff, regardless of jab acceptance, to wear PPE when dealing with patients whose immune system is weak or are at risk from catching COVID.

UK to trial Ivermectin as possible treatment for COVID-19

New applicants who refuse the jab on grounds that aren't medical shouldn't be considered for the job. However, there are people who have valid medical concerns who aren't to blame for refusing.

I really don't like point B. if staff don't need to/shouldn't declare their mental health history to a patient, their choice on the jab is no different. Both have potential to be a risk towards patients, both are personal and also not necessarily a risk towards patients.

It should be common practice for staff, regardless of jab acceptance, to wear PPE when dealing with patients whose immune system is weak or are at risk from catching COVID.
I said I was uncomfortable with it - but I'm also uncomfortable with patients potentially being treated by anti-vaxers.
I fully agree about staff who have valid medical reasons for not having the jab.

I said I was uncomfortable with it - but I'm also uncomfortable with patients potentially being treated by anti-vaxers.
I fully agree about staff who have valid medical reasons for not having the jab.
Being an anti-vaxer is completely different to not having the vaccine through choice, the two shouldn't get mixed together and your point b is discrimination against the employee. That could lead to consequences for the employer.

Es
Being an anti-vaxer is completely different to not having the vaccine through choice, the two shouldn't get mixed together and your point b is discrimination against the employee. That could lead to consequences for the employer.
Especially when you put it in the context of the H1N1 vaccine a few years ago, which has been linked to narcolepsy and which many NHS staff felt pressured to take (or were even mandated):

Because of that, some NHS staff may be understandably wary.

EDIT: Plus, I agree - anti-vaxxer and reluctance to take this vaccine yet are two different things.

Last edited:
I totally get that but quite frankly they are blurred lines. Blurred lines that people (anti vaxers for example) take advantage of. I find myself typing stuff I'm not comfortable with, but these things need to be discussed. My default position is anti establishment but personally I am a conformer - an uncomfortable juxta-position. The way out of the current situation is definitely via the vaccine; it has to be done safely but it has to be done! The alternative is natural herd immunity and that would cost millions of lives - as with Spanish Flu.