This corona virus thing...

Hitch 22

Forum Patron
Patron
Remind me about the evolutionary reasons for this? I have heard the same - women have stronger immune systems- and the downside for the girls is that there is a greater prevalence of auto-immune diseases, where the immunity system attacks it’s owner.
Tbh its absolutely genetics and Chromosome based but really complicated. All I know is that's why males have much worse outcomes than females with Covid.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
Remind me about the evolutionary reasons for this? I have heard the same - women have stronger immune systems- and the downside for the girls is that there is a greater prevalence of auto-immune diseases, where the immunity system attacks it’s owner.
Yep got an autoimmune diseases I have two (you usually find that is the case) coeliac and Raynaud’s possibly dermatitis herpetiformis as well which is linked to coeliac, but the dermatitis bit is only mild thank god And only manifests itself if I get Glutened.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Yep got an autoimmune diseases I have two (you usually find that is the case) coeliac and Raynaud’s possibly dermatitis herpetiformis as well which is linked to coeliac, but the dermatitis bit is only mild thank god And only manifests itself if I get Glutened.
Not sure I should have ‘liked’ that post - but you know what I mean!

Gluten is a funny one - lactose too. Something in the protein molecules that exacerbates some (all?) autoimmune conditions. That’s another thing I once read up on, but have now forgotten.

For you - Are you sure it’s gluten per se - or could it just be wheat?

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
Not sure I should have ‘liked’ that post - but you know what I mean!

Gluten is a funny one - lactose too. Something in the protein molecules that exacerbates some (all?) autoimmune conditions. That’s another thing I once read up on, but have now forgotten.

For you - Are you sure it’s gluten per se - or could it just be wheat?
No had the biopsies done, can’t eat oats ether even gluten free oats, lactose is a problem too soya lecithin is another I have realised too, so a lot of chocolate is a no no especially with the dairy, but I can tolerate small amounts of lactose, just got to know your limit. But hey ho, they are surmountable, just have to be very careful.

Hitch 22

Forum Patron
Patron
I have psoriatic arthritis - which is an auto immune disorder for which I take 2 powerful immuno-suppressant drugs. That's why I had to shield last year.
It's such an irony that we get ill because our defence systems 'turn' on us. Look after yourselves everyone.
Hopefully you might be offered a booster jab. Seems to me JVCI are dithering slightly as to me it's common sense to offer booster to immunocompromised and people who already need the flu jab. I wonder if there's enough Pfizer Jabs to go round is causing delays. They have a million delivered per week but obviously not enough for demand.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Did you have a high temperature Raef?

My ex didn’t, which I thought was one of the key symptoms....

I didn't. At all. Remained normal and constant throughout. All odd, affects people differently and often with completely different symptoms.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Want to re-visit this, to test our collective recall. Nothing to do with conspiracy theory.

If nobody caught a cold for a year, and seasonal flu was almost non-existent (i.e. everyone staying away and not sharing their germs) how did covid spread?

Hitch 22

Forum Patron
Patron
I didn't. At all. Remained normal and constant throughout. All odd, affects people differently and often with completely different symptoms.
Yep I know before the Jabs you'd get some people with like COPD not affected yet really fit people dying. Think obviously genetics play apart. Often also a immune system becomes hyperactive in response and lot of people got Scepsis and blood clots due to that etc.

Portishead

Manager
Want to re-visit this, to test our collective recall. Nothing to do with conspiracy theory.

If nobody caught a cold for a year, and seasonal flu was almost non-existent (i.e. everyone staying away and not sharing their germs) how did covid spread?

Interesting. Is it that the total nos colds normally caught is massively in excess of the nos Covid cases at its peak. So the huge reduction in nos colds due to restrictions gave an apparence of 'nobody' catching colds. Well, some were since many went for covid tests for colds that were negative. I caught a throat infection last year that knocked me out.

Hitch 22

Forum Patron
Patron
Was yours Delta Variant Tino
Interesting. Is it that the total nos colds normally caught is massively in excess of the nos Covid cases at its peak. So the huge reduction in nos colds due to restrictions gave an apparence of 'nobody' catching colds. Well, some were since many went for covid tests for colds that were negative. I caught a throat infection last year that knocked me out.
Basically infected person walks in a room and coughs or sneezes or breathes then people infected it's airborne or from surfaces.

prestonmadhouse

Madman
Patron

I think they (can’t remember where I saw it) said that it was due to covid being highly infectious, where as colds and flu are not as infectious as covid. The mask wearing, hand washing and distancing are enough to almost eradicate colds and flu, but not covid

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron

I genuinely don’t understand the question. People did catch colds - just far fewer of them - but COVID is obviously far far more transmissible.

This might be a bit of a conspiracy theory on my part, but the fact you even thought to mention conspiracy theory suggests that you’re considering a conspiracy theory 😁

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I genuinely don’t understand the question. People did catch colds - just far fewer of them - but COVID is obviously far far more transmissible.

This might be a bit of a conspiracy theory on my part, but the fact you even thought to mention conspiracy theory suggests that you’re considering a conspiracy theory 😁
"I genuinely don't understand the question". But then go on to provide a perfectly reasonable and legitimate explanation.

You do yourself a disservice.