PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

Our household is self isolating as we've all got symptoms. We've all got a cough and fever/sweats. My wife is asthmatic so I'm really worried about her. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets. Trust me you don't want even these symptoms......
We aren't going out at all for another 10 days or so and we're relying on family for food deliveries. Hopefully things don't get any worse and we all pull through. Sad bit is even if we recover, I won't know if I've had it (unless we get tested) or if I can catch it again?!

Mick what really helped for me, was constantly having hot drinks to sooth the dry throat (avoid cold ones), have scalding hot baths and to lie on the sofa with a hot water bottle on my chest. Keep warm and keep eating healthily as you can, and try to avoid alcohol for now.

All the best to you and your family Mick.

I've had what I believe to be Covid-19 (spoken with my GP and a friend is a District Nursing Sister who heads my local coronavirus response team)

These are some of the posts I put on my FB in the past two weeks, hopefully they will be of use if you're looking for symptoms and unsure. Please bear in mind many people are asymptomatic carriers of this virus and also that without being serious enough to be admitted to hospital I cannot get tested etc...

----

So, erm, didn't know whether to post something like this or not but maybe it will be of use;

Two weeks ago, we were all told to self isolate for 7days if we had a cough/fever, and quarantine our families for 14days if a member of the household had a cough/fever.

Last Friday - My son arrived for the weekend with a persistent dry cough. Am told by his mother he's been coughing all week. Decide to isolate us both for the weekend and stay indoors. I even cancelled a planned fishing trip on Tuesday just incase.

Saturday - My son wakes up during the night dripping in sweat.

Sunday - My son goes home, still with his persistent dry cough. I update his mother of illness and advise keeping him away from grandparents.

Monday - I start with a slight dry throat and cancel a meeting with Denbighshire Council just incase, based on my son's cough.

Tuesday - Still just a dry throat. Not sure if I was over reacting by cancelling fishing, but my mate is 68 with asthma. Ask how my son is and and told he's fine.

Wednesday - Noticeably high temperature. Slight occasional cough. Stop going to shops etc and only go outside for walks in open areas.

Thursday - Fever. Sudden bouts of real sweating, very high temperature. Breathless from doing simple tasks. Ask about son again and get told they've had no symptoms at their house (?!) but her partner living there has had "pneumonia" in the last month or so. Pneumonia is caused by Covid-19

Friday - Slight temperature. Persistent dry coughing, chest feels tight and breathing is shorter. Feels different today, can't put my finger on it but just groggy.

Today - Woken up much later than normal feeling exhausted. Feel like I've got someone sat on my chest and it's an effort to breathe. Genuinely begining to get concerned now.

I've followed the guidance as much as possible, but I admit I have been guilty of not taking this as seriously as the Government and the experts have been advising. Now I may just have a version of the flu or something minor, and I'm relatively healthy and not "at risk" but hindsight is a wonderful thing. People are spreading Covid-19 by not following what the experts are telling us. A District Nursing Sister told me yesterday that the NHS is already on it's knees and cannot cope, yet we are only at the start of this outbreak.

Please, help all your friends, relatives, loved ones and those putting their own lives on the line for us by taking precautions and isolating over the small things JUST INCASE. By the time you actually start to feel ill, you could have passed it on to dozens of people.

---

Bit of an update:

So overnight Friday this went from being a light, persistent dry cough to an odd, heavy feeling in my chest with a deep chesty cough.

Saturday was the first day where I started to get a little concerned, as in the morning I woke up late and was absolutely shattered. As the day progressed, each breath was an effort and some were actually painful. The deep cough started bringing up dark, thick mucus and the coughing left me gasping for breath for minutes afterwards. Couldn't sleep at all.

Sunday - Chest really tight, gasping for breath whenever my heart rate rises. Decided it was now time to call NHS 111 for advice as it is over 5 days since exposure. On hold for 30mins, on hold for 45mins. Decided others will need the service more. Very grateful to friends dropping off supplies, took 2 bags of shopping upstairs (after disinfecting all door handles etc!) and the effort left me properly gasping for breath for about 20mins. Soooo tired! Nurse friend advises constantly having hot drinks, so did that all day and lay on the sofa with a hot water bottle on my chest which really seemed to ease things, plus doing breathing exercises to inflate my lungs. After dark, went for a small walk around the field and along the river just to get some fresh air which absolutely ruined me!

Today - Incredibly tired and chest really tight again. Lot more mucus this morning and maybe 1 in 10 breaths is sore. Can really see how this will effect older people! This is now 7 days since the start of my symptoms, and 10 days since I was first exposed to the virus.

---

And then... it was gone!

Monday - Incredibly tired and chest really tight again. Lot more mucus coming up and maybe 1 in 10 breaths was sore. Kept taking hot drinks, doing breathing exercises and lying with a hot water bottle on my chest.

Tuesday - Breathing no longer sore, chest easing. Still occasional deep cough with mucus but no gasping afterwards. Tired and groggy but not totally exhausted like I was.

Today - No real cough at all this morning. Feeling much more alert and healthy, just a sore throat and quite hoarse. Will keep doing the breathing exercises, resting and staying warm for the remainder of the week but it very much looks as though this has passed now.

I've had what I believe to be Covid-19 (spoken with my GP and a friend is a District Nursing Sister who heads my local coronavirus response team)

These are some of the posts I put on my FB in the past two weeks, hopefully they will be of use if you're looking for symptoms and unsure. Please bear in mind many people are asymptomatic carriers of this virus and also that without being serious enough to be admitted to hospital I cannot get tested etc...

----

So, erm, didn't know whether to post something like this or not but maybe it will be of use;

Two weeks ago, we were all told to self isolate for 7days if we had a cough/fever, and quarantine our families for 14days if a member of the household had a cough/fever.

Last Friday - My son arrived for the weekend with a persistent dry cough. Am told by his mother he's been coughing all week. Decide to isolate us both for the weekend and stay indoors. I even cancelled a planned fishing trip on Tuesday just incase.

Sunday - My son goes home, still with his persistent dry cough. I update his mother of illness and advise keeping him away from grandparents.

Monday - I start with a slight dry throat and cancel a meeting with Denbighshire Council just incase, based on my son's cough.

Tuesday - Still just a dry throat. Not sure if I was over reacting by cancelling fishing, but my mate is 68 with asthma. Ask how my son is and and told he's fine.

Wednesday - Noticeably high temperature. Slight occasional cough. Stop going to shops etc and only go outside for walks in open areas.

Thursday - Fever. Sudden bouts of real sweating, very high temperature. Breathless from doing simple tasks. Ask about son again and get told they've had no symptoms at their house (?!) but her partner living there has had "pneumonia" in the last month or so. Pneumonia is caused by Covid-19

Friday - Slight temperature. Persistent dry coughing, chest feels tight and breathing is shorter. Feels different today, can't put my finger on it but just groggy.

Today - Woken up much later than normal feeling exhausted. Feel like I've got someone sat on my chest and it's an effort to breathe. Genuinely begining to get concerned now.

I've followed the guidance as much as possible, but I admit I have been guilty of not taking this as seriously as the Government and the experts have been advising. Now I may just have a version of the flu or something minor, and I'm relatively healthy and not "at risk" but hindsight is a wonderful thing. People are spreading Covid-19 by not following what the experts are telling us. A District Nursing Sister told me yesterday that the NHS is already on it's knees and cannot cope, yet we are only at the start of this outbreak.

Please, help all your friends, relatives, loved ones and those putting their own lives on the line for us by taking precautions and isolating over the small things JUST INCASE. By the time you actually start to feel ill, you could have passed it on to dozens of people.

---

Bit of an update:

So overnight Friday this went from being a light, persistent dry cough to an odd, heavy feeling in my chest with a deep chesty cough.

Saturday was the first day where I started to get a little concerned, as in the morning I woke up late and was absolutely shattered. As the day progressed, each breath was an effort and some were actually painful. The deep cough started bringing up dark, thick mucus and the coughing left me gasping for breath for minutes afterwards. Couldn't sleep at all.

Sunday - Chest really tight, gasping for breath whenever my heart rate rises. Decided it was now time to call NHS 111 for advice as it is over 5 days since exposure. On hold for 30mins, on hold for 45mins. Decided others will need the service more. Very grateful to friends dropping off supplies, took 2 bags of shopping upstairs (after disinfecting all door handles etc!) and the effort left me properly gasping for breath for about 20mins. Soooo tired! Nurse friend advises constantly having hot drinks, so did that all day and lay on the sofa with a hot water bottle on my chest which really seemed to ease things, plus doing breathing exercises to inflate my lungs. After dark, went for a small walk around the field and along the river just to get some fresh air which absolutely ruined me!

Today - Incredibly tired and chest really tight again. Lot more mucus this morning and maybe 1 in 10 breaths is sore. Can really see how this will effect older people! This is now 7 days since the start of my symptoms, and 10 days since I was first exposed to the virus.

---

And then... it was gone!

Monday - Incredibly tired and chest really tight again. Lot more mucus coming up and maybe 1 in 10 breaths was sore. Kept taking hot drinks, doing breathing exercises and lying with a hot water bottle on my chest.

Tuesday - Breathing no longer sore, chest easing. Still occasional deep cough with mucus but no gasping afterwards. Tired and groggy but not totally exhausted like I was.

Today - No real cough at all this morning. Feeling much more alert and healthy, just a sore throat and quite hoarse. Will keep doing the breathing exercises, resting and staying warm for the remainder of the week but it very much looks as though this has passed now.
Thanks for sharing your experience, it must have been quite worrying for you.

Hopefully others reading this will either realise they have had same or similar virus over the Christmas period and are now through it or just going through it and uplift them knowing that within two and a half weeks they should either start to feel better or fully fit.
Hope your lad is also fully fit and come out the other side OK.

All the best (y)

----

---

Bit of an update:

---

And then... it was gone!

This is perhaps the single most important post on this thread, thank you for sharing it with us..

I wonder if there is any way of the Mods actually making it a sticky on its own?

And yes - your first paragraph is essentially correct. This is the problem when we're surrounded by apparent mayhem and a feeling of impending doom.

This situation is (currently) 'less bad' than 2 years ago when 50,000 extra flu deaths were recorded, when the country hardly batted an eyelid. There hasn't been a 'CV' spike, look at those annual flu deaths I posted earlier. This is barely a flutter in the background noise.

What happens in times like this, we focus in on lots of very specific, individual cases. They pop up on the TV. We can't avoid them. And it makes us think this shit is happening a million times over, and must be the norm. But tragedy and human suffering is happening all day, every day, in hospitals all over the country. I've personally seen enough of it in the flesh, I don't like seeing people in ventilators on death's door, uttering some desperate words, on the 6 o'clock news.
Where did you get your 50,000 figure from? Is that UK or world wide?

This is not a political point but the government has to seriously start to get its act together and be seen to be acting with integrity and truth.

On Newsnight, last night, Emily Maitlis was interviewing Nadhim Zaharia and the guy just wriggled like a worm on a fishing hook. She was asking him about testing and he literally did his utmost to evade the question which was, "The govt have promised 25,000 tests a a day, how many are we doing. Eventually she prised out of him 6400.

We as citizens are being expected, and on the whole, are making great sacrifices, the least we can expect is our politicians, for once, to stop being politicians and and answer straight questions honestly.

Severe restrictions are in place throughout Europe and the world. They are obviously intended to save many lives and prevent health services being overrun. Such large numbers of countries can't have got the judgement call wrong.
And there is lots of evidence to say that it's working.

time will tell, they don’t warn all the public services for no reason. Check how many employees have been issued with letters by their employers in the last 24 hours to advise they have a reason for essential travel
Thanks mean the government will have bring in tighter restrictions. Or is that what you are saying?

This is not a political point but the government has to seriously start to get its act together and be seen to be acting with integrity and truth.

On Newsnight, last night, Emily Maitlis was interviewing Nadhim Zaharia and the guy just wriggled like a worm on a fishing hook. She was asking him about testing and he literally did his utmost to evade the question which was, "The govt have promised 25,000 tests a a day, how many are we doing. Eventually she prised out of him 6400.

We as citizens are being expected, and on the whole, are making great sacrifices, the least we can expect is our politicians, for once, to stop being politicians and and answer straight questions honestly.
He has always been a prize dick. If theyou can't speak to us like we are grownups in a time such as this when can they. Our political system is so badly broken.

Every time a substantial portion of the public refuse to play the game, the rules get tightened.
I know. There is also a significant number of people who still believe this is a bit of flu and that the restrictions are OTT. It will make the process much longer if they don't comply. I am one of the biggest refuseniks you would want meet but I'm following the restrictions and supporting them in full. It could be argued that the restrictions are 'crude' but in the absence of a more sophisticated strategy-mass testing- the current situation is the only strategy. Even if mass testing comes in there will still have to be strict restrictions for infected people and those without immunity.

Thanks mean the government will have bring in tighter restrictions. Or is that what you are saying?

sorry had said earlier in the thread, that’s what all the Council heads were advised yesterday to prepare for. Assume some sort of military policed lockdown given the shortage of Police but whether they will focus on cities where the spread seems worse than other urban areas who knows

Amongst a herd of bullshitters he's very near the top.

sorry had said earlier in the thread, that’s what all the Council heads were advised yesterday to prepare for. Assume some sort of military policed lockdown given the shortage of Police but whether they will focus on cities where the spread seems worse than other urban areas who knows

Currently the only area where the military need drafting in is to the prisons, to avoid Boris's hair-brained idea to RELEASE PRISONERS because of the amount of guards being affected by coronavirus.

There‘s a health minister on BBC Breakfast now, Argar, who is trying his best to be close to Zaharia, king of the heated stable. When is someone going to ask them why they hadn’t ordered all the PPE in January when the chances of this happening started to become high? Even if we’d escaped the worst of the virus then it could still be used on an ongoing basis.

He‘s just said we‘re going to be testing 250,000 people per day for the ‘live’ virus, a figure that went totally unchallenged. With the best will in the world, we’re not going to go from 6,000 per day to 250,000 anytime soon.

I know. There is also a significant number of people who still believe this is a bit of flu and that the restrictions are OTT. It will make the process much longer if they don't comply. I am one of the biggest refuseniks you would want meet but I'm following the restrictions and supporting them in full. It could be argued that the restrictions are 'crude' but in the absence of a more sophisticated strategy-mass testing- the current situation is the only strategy. Even if mass testing comes in there will still have to be strict restrictions for infected people and those without immunity.
I have to take my daughter to RPH every morning and pick her up later in the day. She is still not allowed to park on site.

Its been very noticeable how, daily, the amount of traffic is decreasing. I think, more and more, people are grasping this and are buying into the govts advice. They have to do their bit, now, and ensure that we all have full confidence in them.

On a side note, but related, I dont think the labour leadership election has been helpful one bit. For me we needed this to be dealt with by a temporary national govt. Its been impossible to do that because of the leadership battle.

The whole country, now more than ever before, in my lifetime, needs to have full confidence in the govt whilst accepting that along the way mistakes will made.

Where did you get your 50,000 figure from? Is that UK or world wide?
It was post #6,925, from yesterday (and it's just UK) :

In 2018 there was a massive spike in seasonal flu deaths. Apart from various mentions in the media (and the extra strain on the health service), I don't recall any kind of mass panic among the broader population:

Flu and cold weather contributed towards 50,000 excess winter deaths last year

There were over 50,000 excess winter deaths in England and Wales last winter, the highest recorded since 1975/76, according to data released by the Office of National Statistics (ONS).

The increase is thought to be a result of the prevalence of flu last year, alongside ineffectiveness of the flu vaccine and colder than usual temperatures in the 2017/18 winter period, according to the ONS.

The excess winter mortality rate, which compares the numbers of deaths between December and March to the average number of deaths across the rest of the year, continued to be the highest in females and people aged 85 and over.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/co...cess-winter-deaths-last-year/20037896.article