PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

Couldn’t write it could you

Theyre still writing it now - their own version of the okey cokey. This is just a leak to bury Pritti news. Just need to get some month old statistics to support the announcement of further misery. If they keep retail closed after 2 Dec without any hard evidence they need shooting. I believe Cardiff is already open so it will be interesting to see what the fumbler announces for England.

There is probably licence to open up a bit over Christmas with the schools all off and the reduction in transmission that will bring. Most offices will also be closed.

I think a problem the government may have is that if everyone gets used to the reduced restrictions for a couple of weeks over Christmas many people won't bother adhering to a tightening of them after Christmas. But hopefully it doesn't come to that anyway because endless lockdowns aren't viable and the longer they go on folk just won't bother following the rules anyway.

I hope there is some good news for the retail and hospitality sectors in the next couple of weeks. Being open at Christmas will be utterly vital for them after a torrid year.
A circuit breaker if you will. If only this was possible in October.

A circuit breaker if you will. If only this was possible in October.
A circuit breaker is a lockdown and it is a term that scientific advisors and politicians use so it doesn't look like they are backing "lockdowns" (when actually they are). Yes it was a Sage recommendation, but there is no real proof that a 2 week lockdown in October would've solved all of our problems or brought cases down to the extent where things could open up again. Just conjecture and my opinion, but I honestly think if things had closed for 2 weeks in October, we'd probably have locked down by now again anyway.

Also, Christmas is hardly going to be a 'circuit breaker' because it looks like a lot of the social restrictions will be relaxed. What I was trying to say is they probably have the scope to do this because all the mixings in schools and offices won't be happening because they'll be on holiday anyway. And the problem they'll have is that when everyone is back at work or school after Christmas and they try to re-introduce stricter social restrictions, I think a lot of people, having had a small taste of freedom, won't bother listening.

Hopefully we are not discussing this sort of stuff for too much longer anyway because we can see now that lockdowns are not the solution to the problem and there is a danger of the cure becoming worse than the problem. The solution is mass testing of the population (with rapid results) together with an efficiently rolled out vaccination programme. If these things are starting in December then hopefully we are on track for relative normality by Spring.

A circuit breaker is a lockdown and it is a term that scientific advisors and politicians use so it doesn't look like they are backing "lockdowns" (when actually they are). Yes it was a Sage recommendation, but there is no real proof that a 2 week lockdown in October would've solved all of our problems or brought cases down to the extent where things could open up again. Just conjecture and my opinion, but I honestly think if things had closed for 2 weeks in October, we'd probably have locked down by now again anyway.

Also, Christmas is hardly going to be a 'circuit breaker' because it looks like a lot of the social restrictions will be relaxed. What I was trying to say is they probably have the scope to do this because all the mixings in schools and offices won't be happening because they'll be on holiday anyway. And the problem they'll have is that when everyone is back at work or school after Christmas and they try to re-introduce stricter social restrictions, I think a lot of people, having had a small taste of freedom, won't bother listening.

Hopefully we are not discussing this sort of stuff for too much longer anyway because we can see now that lockdowns are not the solution to the problem and there is a danger of the cure becoming worse than the problem. The solution is mass testing of the population (with rapid results) together with an efficiently rolled out vaccination programme. If these things are starting in December then hopefully we are on track for relative normality by Spring.
The thing is by not having a 2 week circuit breaker/lock down in October when cases were lower (which meant the main spreader in schools being closed when now they're not), we're now in the middle of 4 week lockdown. And we're told tiered restrictions will be even worse until Xmas. And then worse after Xmas!

The thing is by not having a 2 week circuit breaker/lock down in October when cases were lower (which meant the main spreader in schools being closed when now they're not), we're now in the middle of 4 week lockdown. And we're told tiered restrictions will be even worse until Xmas. And then worse after Xmas!
I think there's a pretty strong chance that we'd be in a lockdown now whether we had a short 2 week lockdown in October or not. And I think the tiers wouldn't have been any kinder if we'd done that either. There is a risk of locking down too early, then when you open up there's an exponential rise in cases and there's yet another lockdown, especially taking into account the season/time of year and the nature of the second wave as seen across Europe. Most countries have locked down at a similar time.

It's right that schools aren't closed. There needs to be a dedicated testing system in place for schools and better support for teaching staff in this regard but schools absolutely should remain open because the kids deserve an education.

We will see what happens with the tiers. There probably is a good chance of very strong tier restrictions in the North West but cases are seemingly falling now and will do for the next couple of weeks before the end of lockdown so I would hope at the worst we're back in tier 3 rather than a new beefed up tier 4 or whatever they want to call it.

I think there's a pretty strong chance that we'd be in a lockdown now whether we had a short 2 week lockdown in October or not. And I think the tiers wouldn't have been any kinder if we'd done that either. There is a risk of locking down too early, then when you open up there's an exponential rise in cases and there's yet another lockdown, especially taking into account the season/time of year and the nature of the second wave as seen across Europe. Most countries have locked down at a similar time.

It's right that schools aren't closed. There needs to be a dedicated testing system in place for schools and better support for teaching staff in this regard but schools absolutely should remain open because the kids deserve an education.

We will see what happens with the tiers. There probably is a good chance of very strong tier restrictions in the North West but cases are seemingly falling now and will do for the next couple of weeks before the end of lockdown so I would hope at the worst we're back in tier 3 rather than a new beefed up tier 4 or whatever they want to call it.

If kids deserve an education, do people not also deserve not to be made redundant, starving and destitute. Mass testing is an aspirational sham. Im not entirely sure how much to believe that the NHS pressures are being caused by the virus. Frankly Ive lost faith in most things the govt is reporting. The only certainty I see is that millions of livelyhoods will be lost and the young generation will pay for this shambles for decades.

And after 9 months I still dont know anyone whos died of this inc out of 7000 people in my workplace

If kids deserve an education, do people not also deserve not to be made redundant, starving and destitute. Mass testing is an aspirational sham. Im not entirely sure how much to believe that the NHS pressures are being caused by the virus. Frankly Ive lost faith in most things the govt is reporting. The only certainty I see is that millions of livelyhoods will be lost and the young generation will pay for this shambles for decades.

And after 9 months I still dont know anyone whos died of this inc out of 7000 people in my workplace

Contoversial stuff Pete................ I'm of the same opinion.

A lass I know thought she had covid symptoms back in the summer, loss of taste and a cough. She got tested but was negative. Last week, her workplace was asked to take part in an antibodies test, and it showed that she has antibodies and so must have been exposed to the virus previously.

Contoversial stuff Pete................ I'm of the same opinion.

So is the Welsh govt to a large degree since theyre open for business. Our govt is controversial in seeming to think what effectively would be a 5 month lockdown with a weeks grace is a great idea. Makes no sense to us given the cards on the table. Ive been unable to see my sister for 5 months even though I believe Ive had the virus and now Im heartily sick of this fiasco. To boot, ale no longer tastes the same. Boris may as well take the blame for that as well.

So is the Welsh govt to a large degree since theyre open for business. Our govt is controversial in seeming to think what effectively would be a 5 month lockdown with a weeks grace is a great idea. Makes no sense to us given the cards on the table. Ive been unable to see my sister for 5 months even though I believe Ive had the virus and now Im heartily sick of this fiasco. To boot, ale no longer tastes the same. Boris may as well take the blame for that as well.

I don't give a feck about what boris advises and his opinion carries no weight because he and his muckers are as bent as nine bob notes.... My simple approach is " do what you think is right"... That's my view and i'm sticking with it..

Someone in my office has just tested positive. I've just booked a test and going down at 5pm.

Wouldn't be in this position if my employers actually followed government guidelines and gave a shit about people's health and wellbeing!!! Shower of cunts.

Don't fret it's not unique to your lot. It's about making money. You don't count unless you are there " producing" Harsh but the truth and a sad fact of life . :)

I don't give a feck about what boris advises and his opinion carries no weight because he and his muckers are as bent as nine bob notes.... My simple approach is " do what you think is right"... That's my view and i'm sticking with it..

This is basically what were doing, I know how real and horrible this virus is from several sources.

Death of a relative
Daughters experience from RPH
Friends suffering from long Covid.

I will continue to mask wear to protect others from me, I did before it was mandatory.
I will continue to observe the 2m rule
i will continue to gel on entering and leaving shops etc
I wont be visiting pubs, restaurants etc and I wont be going to live events with thousands of people in attendance.

In short i`ll just use my own noggin.

This is basically what were doing, I know how real and horrible this virus is from several sources.

Death of a relative
Daughters experience from RPH
Friends suffering from long Covid.

I will continue to mask wear to protect others from me, I did before it was mandatory.
I will continue to observe the 2m rule
i will continue to gel on entering and leaving shops etc
I wont be visiting pubs, restaurants etc and I wont be going to live events with thousands of people in attendance.

In short i`ll just use my own noggin.

Very commendable and I tend to agree but with a slightly altered list....I do however stand by : " I don't give a feck about what boris advises"

I agree. Generally speaking I'm anti-lockdown. For the young generation this virus is incredibly low risk, but the economic impact of the crisis will fall almost entirely on their shoulders. Lockdown after lockdown won't do anything other than ruin millions of peoples' futures.

As amusing as that is, doesn’t it show a major issue. If you hadn’t seen the original picture of starmer, you could easily believe this was real

So easy to doctor an image
Lighten up ffs, its a bit of fun anyone who believes that pic is real needs there bumps feeling . Mind you whatever happens at the house of commons Christmas bash who knows?

Like Scotland do you mean. Lower density of population etc and now in strict lockdown again. Northern Ireland even worse.