PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

In fairness, Rob, you have what most of us dont have, in this pandemic. A personal advisor, the Postman.
Very funny :rolleyes:, Why if after all this facemask wearing and all the other measures for which i do agree with are we yet again in a lockdown ?

I have mentioned before masks are a waste of time unless in a clinical environment, but hey ho helps folk feel safer its all good.
As for eminent scientists the jury is still out many say what a waste of time .
Let me just remind you of this adviser a few months ago . Only the
Deputy Chief Medical Officer
Professor Jonathan Van Tam said he does not believe healthy people wearing them would reduce the spread of the disease in the UK, saying "what matters now is social distancing".

Coronavirus: 'We do not recommend face masks for general wearing' - BBC News

Or what about this one another one only the Chief medical officer
Members of the public could be putting themselves more at risk from contracting coronavirus by wearing face masks, one of England’s most senior doctors has warned.
Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer, said the masks could “actually trap the virus” and cause the person wearing it to breathe it in.

“For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea” to wear a face mask in the hope of preventing infection, she added.

As for snoods that is all i use under duress i have worked all the way through this with no problems.

It is paranoia at its best not to say this virus is not dangerous for many, for the majority they will be fine.

If they are working that well why the hell are we yet again in another lockdown ? I don't except that because a few are not obeying the rules is the reason as most are following them

Just for clarity, that link "a few months ago" was from April the 3rd when the total number of UK covid deaths was 3,605.

Last edited:
We all work for Head Office ( Farnborough ) , although at the moment we are all working from home of course...

if she has any need to go on site for IT issues etc , then she goes to Christchurch but I also think that she occasionally goes to Dorchester for meetings.....

Just for clarity, that link "a few months ago" was from April the 3rd.
The evidence does not change that quick even if some have pushed the mask wearing now. There is no firm evidence mask wearing protects or stops people spreading it.

I have mentioned before masks are a waste of time unless in a clinical environment, but hey ho helps folk feel safer its all good.
As for eminent scientists the jury is still out many say what a waste of time .
Let me just remind you of this adviser a few months ago . Only the
Deputy Chief Medical Officer
Professor Jonathan Van Tam said he does not believe healthy people wearing them would reduce the spread of the disease in the UK, saying "what matters now is social distancing".

Coronavirus: 'We do not recommend face masks for general wearing' - BBC News

Or what about this one another one only the Chief medical officer
Members of the public could be putting themselves more at risk from contracting coronavirus by wearing face masks, one of England’s most senior doctors has warned.
Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer, said the masks could “actually trap the virus” and cause the person wearing it to breathe it in.

“For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea” to wear a face mask in the hope of preventing infection, she added.

As for snoods that is all i use under duress i have worked all the way through this with no problems.

It is paranoia at its best not to say this virus is not dangerous for many, for the majority they will be fine.

If they are working that well why the hell are we yet again in another lockdown ? I don't except that because a few are not obeying the rules is the reason as most are following them

Im glazing over.

It really is simple.

I blame my postie for not advising me.
How about answering the question instead of a shitty comment about my postman who had it and said he has had worst colds.
oh I forget as you keep harping on about you always have your daughter for advice.

How about answering the question instead of a shitty comment about my postman who had it and said he has had worst colds.
oh I forget as you keep harping on about you always have your daughter for advice.
Ive posted over and over, on this thread, the evidence for mask wearing, I actually thank @sliper for pointing me in the right direction on this one.

Hes only using the Lancet though.

Ive posted over and over, on this thread, the evidence for mask wearing, I actually thank @sliper for pointing me in the right direction on this one.

Hes only using the Lancet though.

From the Lancet eh even they say it has minimal use.
Though face masks are important to wear for COVID-19 infected persons to prevent spread of the virus to others, they’re minimally effective for healthy people.

The Lancet noted that universal face mask use is discouraged because of minimal protection at best they offer, adding:

“(T)here is an essential distinction between absence of evidence and evidence of absence.”

Evidence that face masks can provide effective protection against respiratory infections in the community is scarce…”

Though face masks are important to wear for COVID-19 infected persons to prevent spread of the virus to others, they’re minimally effective for healthy people.

The Lancet noted that universal face mask use is discouraged because of minimal protection at best they offer, adding:

“(T)here is an essential distinction between absence of evidence and evidence of absence.”

Evidence that face masks can provide effective protection against respiratory infections in the community is scarce…”

That article is from March, the article that John is referring to is from the end of June when some studies had been done.

That article is from March, the article that John is referring to is from the end of June when some studies had been done.
How about this then look at the wording like might . From the lancet after that study you mentioned. They also recommend it might help wearing eye covering as well why are we not doing that as well ?

• Face coverings and masks might protect both healthcare workers and the general public against infection with COVID-19, and protective eye covering may also provide additional benefit--although the certainty of the evidence is low for both forms of protection.
  • The jury is still out.
Still not one person answering if they are so effective why are we yet again in a lockdown ?

The Lancet: Most comprehensive study to date provides evidence on optimal physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent spread of COVID-19 | EurekAlert! Science News

One thing that is often missed in the mask debate is the cleanliness or otherwise of the mask. If everyone wore a new, or laundered, mask each time they needed one I am pretty sure they would be a lot more effective than the paper masks I’ve seen that are clearly dirty, unhygienic and probably worse than not wearing a mask at all.