PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

Absolutely valid concerns - I think this will also affect uptake in 30-40 year olds. Bit harsh to say AZ should have tested more as its almost impossible to foresee idiosyncratic adverse drug reactions like this without dosing millions of people.
Not really harsh , While the vaccine has been a massive success at the moment it was always a gamble as many have said from the start it was rushed we still don't know the long term effects nor do they even if they say it is safe, its a gamble, fingers crossed they have.

I'm not surprised with all the negativity coming out about the Astra jab its putting people off having it.

Last edited:
Not really harsh , While the vaccine has been a massive success at the moment it was always a gamble as many have said from the start it was rushed we still don't know the long term effects nor do they even if they say it is safe, its a gamble, fingers crossed they have.

I'm not surprised with all the negativity coming out about the Astra jab its putting people off having it.
You could spend 10 years developing a drug in the lab but there will always be a risk of idiosyncratic side effects once rolled out to a significantly large population. Meanwhile millions more people around the world would have (likely) died as a result of COVID. Its all a gamble - have you ever read the package leaflets they give you with any prescription medicine?

You could spend 10 years developing a drug in the lab but there will always be a risk of idiosyncratic side effects once rolled out to a significantly large population. Meanwhile millions more people around the world would have (likely) died as a result of COVID. Its all a gamble - have you ever read the package leaflets they give you with any prescription medicine?
Quite agree with most of that ,what you are missing is there are many questions still to be asked about the long term effects as you say ten years is normal .
Don't get me wrong i believe this vaccine has been fantastic i was one of the first to have had both jabs and have had no known side effects YET .

Quite agree with most of that ,what you are missing is there are many questions still to be asked about the long term effects as you say ten years is normal .
Don't get me wrong i believe this vaccine has been fantastic i was one of the first to have had both jabs and have had no known side effects YET .
Yes, that's true. Long term effects for both the virus and the vaccine have yet to be seen. And I do sympathies somewhat with vaccine hesitancy - particularly in the younger age groups.

What I don't think has been mentioned is that whilse most deaths attributed to COVID were as a result of pneumonia; wasn't there also a lot of cases of blood clotting as a result of COVID, particularly in the younger people who (while much less susceptible) happened to die from it? It would be interesting to know if young healthy people were more likely to develop a blood clot as a result of contracting COVID rather than taking the vaccine. But I suspect the probability of either is so low it might be hard to say.

Yes, that's true. Long term effects for both the virus and the vaccine have yet to be seen. And I do sympathies somewhat with vaccine hesitancy - particularly in the younger age groups.

What I don't think has been mentioned is that whilse most deaths attributed to COVID were as a result of pneumonia; wasn't there also a lot of cases of blood clotting as a result of COVID, particularly in the younger people who (while much less susceptible) happened to die from it? It would be interesting to know if young healthy people were more likely to develop a blood clot as a result of contracting COVID rather than taking the vaccine. But I suspect the probability of either is so low it might be hard to say.
The possible risks, as reported, are extremely low, whereas we know the havoc that Covid has wreaked on the world in so many ways. Everyone must make their own decisions, of course, but we put ourselves at risk every time we cross the road, get in a car, eat processed food etc. etc. We manage such risks according to how we feel about each activity, that's life. My own opinion is that the benefits outweigh the risks so heavily that for me its a no brainer - but each to their own of course.

I ummed and arred about getting the vaccine, but this situation that has arisen has decided it for me.
I was diagnosed as having a rare genetic mutation last year, the research really isn't happening with it compared to other mutations and I just can't risk it.
I can put a percentage on my chances of coming out unscathed after COVID which has infected several millions, I can't put one on my chances of not coming out unscathed because of a vaccine that has been tested on only a few and only just given to some millions.
I think most young people would sum up their decision not to get a vaccine based on that last point.

The possible risks, as reported, are extremely low, whereas we know the havoc that Covid has wreaked on the world in so many ways. Everyone must make their own decisions, of course, but we put ourselves at risk every time we cross the road, get in a car, eat processed food etc. etc. We manage such risks according to how we feel about each activity, that's life. My own opinion is that the benefits outweigh the risks so heavily that for me its a no brainer - but each to their own of course.
I think what pisses people off is that things like driving, eating, crossing the road etc are simple life choices that sadly at times can result in incidents, the current news media onslaught makes people feel forced into making a decision, rather than an easier freedom of choice. Its becoming apparent by listening to the media that anyone that doesn't want to take the vaccine (for whatever reason) will be vilified and treated like a 2nd class citizen, leading to yet more division created amongst us.

Every day you wake up, there is approximately 0.9 in a million chance that you will die an “unnatural” death from one cause or another (falling off that ladder?!) before the following morning. It’s maybe 50 people in the UK every day.

So if you steadfastly refuse to take a vaccine with a 1 in 200,000 chance of death... well you’ve more chance of being dead from some other unnatural cause before the end of the week anyway.

I think what pisses people off is that things like driving, eating, crossing the road etc are simple life choices that sadly at times can result in incidents, the current news media onslaught makes people feel forced into making a decision, rather than an easier freedom of choice. Its becoming apparent by listening to the media that anyone that doesn't want to take the vaccine (for whatever reason) will be vilified and treated like a 2nd class citizen, leading to yet more division created amongst us.
Absolutely agree and this talk of vaccine passports is particularly insidious.

A friend of mine, a teacher in his forties with no underlying conditions and a keen cyclist (so fit) died of it in the Christmas holidays. Due to Covid (directly) his blood oxygen fell like a stone. By the time the ambulance arrived he was dead. Happy now?

Tragic and I'm sorry for your friend and his family and you've just given me a personal experience ......... But we do need to be able to discuss these things without emotion closing them down.

Tragic and I'm sorry for your friend and his family and you've just given me a personal experience ......... But we do need to be able to discuss these things without emotion closing them down.
There is nothing to discuss. You have already been told there is very little difference between with covid and of cocid.

Dear oh dear!

You really just said that?

Yes........ Closing down discussion is your forte not mine. I like things out in the open, it's how we learn stuff.
He closed down nothing.

What he did do was share personal experiences which, not for the first time, i might add, you belittled his experience and attempted to say he was only using those experiences to shut down debate.

I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself before you think of pointing fingers at other peoples experiences.

You broke a good online friendship by doing this in the past.

He closed down nothing.

What he did do was share personal experiences which, not for the first time, i might add, you belittled his experience and attempted to say he was only using those experiences to shut down debate.

I think you need to take a long hard look at yourself before you think of pointing fingers at other peoples experiences.

You broke a good online friendship by doing this in the past.

From the expert in closing down free speech when it doesn't suit. :)