This week in tory run Britain

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
Totally agree
Please god we don’t see a repeat of this. It’s really cut me has this
But tragically it’s an inevitably that we will I feel
What’s hit me recently about these people is how absolutely desperate they must be. They are spending everything they have to make a treacherous journey, to a place they don’t know, with a language they probably don’t speak and to maybe being treated atrociously.

We need more schemes like the community sponsorship funded resettlement scheme to help people.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
What’s hit me recently about these people is how absolutely desperate they must be. They are spending everything they have to make a treacherous journey, to a place they don’t know, with a language they probably don’t speak and to maybe being treated atrociously.

We need more schemes like the community sponsorship funded resettlement scheme to help people.
Well said sir
Lottery fund ???

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
Govts are expert in identifying and blaming the consequences, and not the cause. There will always be criminals if you dont deal with a problem. Where people get desperate.
This 100%. I have a mate in the cops who deals with people trafficking. Most of his work is searching out cannabis farms, shutting them down and arresting the operatives. Quite often they're Latvian but that's besides the point.
Although they often shut down the symptom they never tackle the cause. The expendable 'growers' are banged up, the ones higher up the food chain go on to open more 'farms' run by more expendibles. It's costs several millions to carry on with this completely futile exercise.
Similar trying to tackle the migration gangs.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
Well said sir
Lottery fund ???
That would be a great idea. The scheme I heard about was this one, private fundraising to pay for people to come here and settle, find them a home, teach them the language and support them.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
There are some dubious articles that just don't ring true, as someone already said, it would be easy to catch the smuggling gangs, just by pretending to be a customer and handing over the money. Then there are the images of French Police and Gendarmerie standing watching the boats and smugglers doing as they please..

The stories about paying up to £5k for a place on the boat, that's a lot of cash to be carrying, if there are 3 together that's 15k not including the costs already incurred during the weeks on the road. Where do they keep all that cash, certainly wouldn't fit in a pocket, the migrants wouldn't be able to keep it in a bank. The other thing is some of the countries they cross Eastern, Western, Southern Europe and the Balkan states. surely they would be targets for criminal gangs who would rob, steal or even kill them for what they could steal, most of the countries they are crossing the governments and people are not at all welcoming.

Denmark has declared that Damascus is now safe, and will be returning asylum seekers to Syria, Europe is becoming less welcoming. Is this the reason that the UK and channel crossings is now the favoured choice amongst migrants? Or is it because they will be housed immediately in supported housing or in accommodation that isn't a camp, such is often the case in many countries in Europe?

The migrant crisis is a real problem and the French appear to be very willing to assist them in there endeavours to reach the SE coast of England, I certainly don't believe the majority of those making the journey are refugees, and I certainly hope we set up a proper processing system were we are able to sort out who is genuine from those that are not.

To end this narrative, I think it is shocking that those that died today were so desperate to cross the channel they ignored the dangerous factors they would encounter to cross the bitter cold channel, 5 minutes in that sea would kill a person. Unless the French begin to prevent this debacle, then over the winter months there will be many more deaths. The only way this situation can be sorted out is for the EU and the UK, to begin to work together and find a way to resolve this very big problem.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
Imagine getting on a dinghy, told its an hour to the promised land you paid for, watched off by the local Polizei on the beach then upturn in the freezing polluted water, drowning in terror... Awful
If the French security is allowing it to happen they are culpable, we cannot turn them back and out them at risk, in the same sense the French Should stop them if they see it happening.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
very true
my humble experience is those who moan the most are often those who’ve never left these shores
(and Americans but that’s in their DNA)
example - in many countries access to A and E is via a credit card
Agree with you there. Travel certainly gives you perspective.

It makes you realise what we have here, despite what many would have you believe.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
It’s only when you travel extensively that you realise what an incredible country the UK is - that it appears is quite an appeal
The UK is fine Edgy if you have money, a job and a house. There are many in the UK that haven't got a £100 in the bank and cannot afford to heat there homes, or eat properly, half the UK population are up to their neck in debt. There are 10's of thousands living in B&B's waiting for permanent housing, not to forget those sleeping in cardboard boxes, waiting for cold-weather shelters to open. .

Those on minimum wage and in the 'GiG' economy are the same, struggling to make ends meet. The UK isn't all it's cracked up to be, to rent a one bed flat in London, costs £850 -£1200+ and that is normal in the least popular districts, hard to make ends meet if you are on minimum wage.

The myth that the UK is a land of milk and honey, is the story that is perpetrated by those that know no better or wish to gain from the deceit, people smugglers or those that have heard so 3rd hand and dream that someday they will make the journey. It doesn't help when western films and media, show a liberal society, with total freedom and a glamorous lifestyle.