This week in tory run Britain

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
_121477513_tax_bands_1_640-2x-nc-002.png

_121494707_tax_bands_5_640-2x-nc-002.png

Cliff edge tax rates just encourage people to manipulate their income at every level. Whether it’s discouraging someone at £10k or £50k from trying to increase what they can earn because of what they would lose it’s a problem

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
Far more refugees settle in other European countries. The comparative numbers trying to cross the channel are tiny if you compare them to the total leaving thier own counties in the first place.
Seems obvious that the ones trying to cross leave thier homelands with the UK as thier intended final destination. I caught a spokesperson the other day from one of the charities involved citing the figures of where people have started thier journeys and why they wanted to come to the UK (sorry didn't take a note of the charity or her name).. Many already had relatives or friends here, others came from countries with British connections or former colonies such as Sudan. For them Britain is the motherland and a place of protection and safety.
But the common narrative of a huge proportion of the whole refugee diaspora queueing on the French side of the channel waiting to come here is a myth of course overplayed by the likes of Farage and not dispelled by the current government or indeed other politicians who really should know better.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
Because the UK is one of the finest countries in the world. A springboard to success.
Funny cause most stuff I read around here is quite anti UK and very fond of the EU, however good the UK is I don't understand why it's so amazing you'd risk everything to cross a sea in a shit boat in November. There's obviously a significant draw that I can't see.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
I can only guess but I would imagine that for many their second language would be english as opposed to french. I know that many do have relatives here.

That's not true Raef, it's because we don't house migrants in camps, you will never see camps of tents or migrants sleeping under railway arches or in boxes as in Paris or in the rest of the EU. Plus they can contest an asylum case with legal aid that can go on indefinitely with free housing also.

The Liverpool bomber had been doing just that and was told his asylum case was over and been denied, yet he was still housed for free in a bedsit in Liverpool?

I think Scandinavia is probably the best place to make an asylum claim, that might not be true but they do have a lot of applications and are treated quite humanly, although recently attitudes have begun to change.

Last edited:

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Funny cause most stuff I read around here is quite anti UK and very fond of the EU, however good the UK is I don't understand why it's so amazing you'd risk everything to cross a sea in a shit boat in November. There's obviously a significant draw that I can't see.

Where else can a humble postman rise to the second level of elite sport with little training or success. Don’t underestimate what you could achieve Cali if you didn’t waste all your weekly exertion on the matchday threads. There’s hope for you yet

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
I am a cynic, and I often think the UK government are building up a workforce to replace the cheap labour that disappeared when we left the EU. All the promises about training skilled workers and creating work in run down areas was just not true.

Fill the jobs that pay peanuts that no-one else wants to do because the pay is atrocious. Therefore employers will employ people on the black, which is acceptable to the powers that be, as long as the black economy isn't broadcast loudly.

Anyway I am out of this for today, I do think genuine asylum claims that are processed properly should be granted and the claimants helped. but for those wishing to resettle in the UK for economic reasons only, should be turfed out and the time wasted plus expense should be channelled into the NHS, Education and higher wages for the extremely low-paid.

Last edited:

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Far more refugees settle in other European countries. The comparative numbers trying to cross the channel are tiny if you compare them to the total leaving thier own counties in the first place.
Seems obvious that the ones trying to cross leave thier homelands with the UK as thier intended final destination. I caught a spokesperson the other day from one of the charities involved citing the figures of where people have started thier journeys and why they wanted to come to the UK (sorry didn't take a note of the charity or her name).. Many already had relatives or friends here, others came from countries with British connections or former colonies such as Sudan. For them Britain is the motherland and a place of protection and safety.
But the common narrative of a huge proportion of the whole refugee diaspora queueing on the French side of the channel waiting to come here is a myth of course overplayed by the likes of Farage and not dispelled by the current government or indeed other politicians who really should know better.

I saw a BBC video the other day, about some migrants trying to get into Macedonia, complaining the Greeks hadn't done anything for them and wouldn't speak with them, the spokesman could barely speak english. The reporter asked him where are you trying to get to, and he said Dover. I wonder how he know about Dover, and what was his motive?

I have to disagree about the guy from Sudan and Motherland, most ex-colonies hated GB and kicked us out, cerebrating our demise, a few didn't Kenya for one, and the lease oversea territory that is Hong Kong, very few others did, Pakistan (once India) and India. despised us.

Last edited:

Portishead

Manager
As night follows day, it takes the Immigration Minister, Kevin Foster, less than 24 hours to fully engage in the blame game on ITv. Fuck me. For a government supposed to be in control , its amazing how every daily crisis is someone elses fault, and not the abject failure of its own policies. To be fair, Suzanne Reid had him on toast.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Where else can a humble postman rise to the second level of elite sport with little training or success. Don’t underestimate what you could achieve Cali if you didn’t waste all your weekly exertion on the matchday threads. There’s hope for you yet
Yes, the perfect example.

He came down here as an immigrant and made his fortune where the streets are paved with gold. (Erm, Norwich and Preston....)