Throw ins, officials, the laws and towels......

Dreyfuss

Forum Patron
Patron
I think throw-ins should have to be taken whilst stood stationary. If a player can still launch it in the six yard box so be it. But, I doubt many would be able to do so, without a running start.

The WBA towel fiasco which occurred at Posh and Rovers and at Deepdale needs examination from EFL. These types of delayed long throws that last 30-45 seconds each, ruin the flow of the game.

Over the years there have always been teams which seek out percentage game tactics (Wimbledon, Cambridge, Stoke etc) but they have always been the oddity, rather than the norm.

I don't particularly wanna watch a full season of championship football consisting of long throws every game. But, so many teams are adopting them of late.

Cheltenham thankfully sold their long thrower last month. Dunno if he's been replaced.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
No problem with long throws, if you've got someone who can do it you'd be a fool not to use it, but football is called FOOTball for reason. Get rid of the towels!

NG White

Forum Patron
Patron
No way should they ban the ball being thrown into the box. Would be a stupid change.

Just ban towels, if they want to dry the ball they can dry it on their shirt.

JK

Head Honcho
Staff member
Patron
Just ban towels, it’s not difficult. Or just get the incompetent officials to actually add the correct amount of time on at the end of the game.

I said it a long time ago but I still think stopping the clock every time the ball goes dead is the easiest way to eliminate any time-wasting. Would obviously have to shorten the length of the game though so I doubt they’ll ever do that.

They where banned for a period. Not sure when the rule changed back.

When it became an issue of Saturday the referee should have called them all in. I can't recall an away side putting them out since John Beck days when he used to do it.

When Furlong had a throw and it wasn't there he genuinely has no idea what to do, it's almost like he has been coached to the point that psychologically he couldn't take an effective throw without the towel.

Honestly he was in bits at the end of the game.

I would ban them again though. Too much pissed about for my liking.

Ultimatly though Saturday's issue was due to him and the linesman not preventing blatant encrouchement.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
I think the difference between corners and throw-ins in the laws highlights the fact that throw-ins are not intended to reward a team with an attack into the box, whereas corners are.

We may as well allow kick-ons if we're allowing long throws. At least we wouldn't need to wait for towels.
If an attacker beats 4 defenders whilst running down the wing but the fifth manages to tackle him and give away a throw he deserves something for it rather than a throw in limited to about 10 yards with a set defence swarming all over. An effective long throw is a skill in just the same way Pickfords goal kicks were (admittedly one of my main attributes in football was a half decent long throw....)

What I don't agree with is the towels. You don't have portable matting so a penalty taker gets a decent run up or one of those little cones used in rugby. The conditions are what they are.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron

When it became an issue of Saturday the referee should have called them all in. I can't recall an away side putting them out since John Beck days when he used to do it.

When Furlong had a throw and it wasn't there he genuinely has no idea what to do, it's almost like he has been coached to the point that psychologically he couldn't take an effective throw without the towel.

Ultimatly though Saturday's issue was due to him and the linesman not preventing blatant encrouchement.

Seems like Furlong was taking his name a bit too literally

JG1888

Forum Patron
Patron

Been a couple cases in different games where he’s had to borrow a fans jumper/jacket instead of a towel. Very strange behaviour 😂

OP
E

europne

Forum Patron
Patron
This is worth a read. Keith Hackett is scathing on the West Brom throw that led to their goal.

He highlighted it’s the refs job to say where the throw in should be taken from, and that the guy on Saturday completely abdicated his responsibility from doing that in this game.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
This is worth a read. Keith Hackett is scathing on the West Brom throw that led to their goal.

Dead right. But as I've said already a couple of times on the match day thread, the ref was totally on top of it, in terms of spotting what was happening, and blowing his whistle from the very first minute - the very first throw of the game was in the wrong spot and he saw it. Then he was whistle-happy for the rest of the game, but totally didn't enforce it, he just kept blowing his bloody whistle but not making them go back !!! Or reversing the throw to us. It was weird, and crap, in equal measure.

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron
Dead right. But as I've said already a couple of times on the match day thread, the ref was totally on top of it, in terms of spotting what was happening, and blowing his whistle from the very first minute - the very first throw of the game was in the wrong spot and he saw it. Then he was whistle-happy for the rest of the game, but totally didn't enforce it, he just kept blowing his bloody whistle but not making them go back !!! Or reversing the throw to us. It was weird, and crap, in equal measure.
The referee on Saturday is what I would describe as lazy, unfit and not good enough to be a referee. Lots of refs aren’t as fit as they should be, and as a result they spend a lot of their time in the centre of the pitch dishing out free kicks for fun. The ball gets lumped upfield and any contact between forward and defender often results in a free kick…..usually to the defender unless it’s not in a dangerous position for the attacker. It would be very interesting if it was made public what distance a referee covers during a game. That would surely identify refs that aren’t fit enough to do the job.

Muzza

Forum Patron
Patron

Read the article and then there was a link to another article that said there was a 'vile chant' directed at a Preston player. Anyone know who and what it was?

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Read the article and then there was a link to another article that said there was a 'vile chant' directed at a Preston player. Anyone know who and what it was?

Seen something. on twitter last night that something was directed towards Furlong and that PNE Police was aware and had been in touch with the club.